Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Shore fishing at Willard today
Wasn't sure where to go today with all the snow we received this week, so Ira and I decided to try fishing from shore after seeing how much open water there was yesterday at the South marina channel. Water level is continuing to raise, here is a pic of one of the docks, the last time we were there, last Fall, the water level was between the outer dock and the first slip.

[Image: southmarinadocks.jpg]

We walked out to the channel and fished for a little over 4 hrs and caught 4 cats up to 21", using fligs and chub meat. I took this pic looking out the channel into the Bay. Just since yesterday the ice has melted at least 1/4 mile out from the mouth of the channel, see pics from my drive by report from yesterday, to see how much it melted in one day.

[Image: South-marina-channel.jpg]

Won't be long now before the lake is open.
(02-26-2023, 12:24 AM)wiperhunter2 Wrote: Wasn't sure where to go today with all the snow we received this week, so Ira and I decided to try fishing from shore after seeing how much open water there was yesterday at the South marina channel. Water level is continuing to raise, here is a pic of one of the docks, the last time we were there, last Fall, the water level was between the outer dock and the first slip.

We walked out to the channel and fished for a little over 4 hrs and caught 4 cats up to 21", using fligs and chub meat. I took this pic looking out the channel into the Bay. Just since yesterday the ice has melted at least 1/4 mile out from the mouth of the channel, see pics from my drive by report from yesterday, to see how much it melted in one day.

That will get Tubedude all Gung-ho to start chasing some Willard kitties. Nice job on the cold water cats.
(02-26-2023, 02:09 AM)Jig-fisher Wrote: That will get Tubedude all Gung-ho to start chasing some Willard kitties. Nice job on the cold water cats.

I was thinking the same thing about Pat getting out soon. One thing I forgot to mention, as Ira was reeling in a cat, I walked over to see if He needed some help, I looked down and guess what I found at the edge of the water, a blue/silver flig that someone had lost, same color Ira and I were using.
(02-26-2023, 12:24 AM)wiperhunter2 Wrote: Wasn't sure where to go today with all the snow we received this week, so Ira and I decided to try fishing from shore after seeing how much open water there was yesterday at the South marina channel. Water level is continuing to raise, here is a pic of one of the docks, the last time we were there, last Fall, the water level was between the outer dock and the first slip.

What a welcomed site. Looking forward to getting in the boat and out of the exhausting hikes needed for ice fishing.
Well done guys, glad the soft water produced
(02-26-2023, 02:35 AM)danell Wrote: What a welcomed site. Looking forward to getting in the boat and out of the exhausting hikes needed for ice fishing.

I agree, it can't happen soon enough.
(02-26-2023, 02:42 AM)2knots Wrote: Well done guys, glad the soft water produced

Thanks Alan, it started off slow but as it warmed, they turned on, so it turned out OK.
Glad you guys were able to find open water...and active kitties.  Won't be long until I will be launching out of the south marina.  That is where I start almost every year...and I always find willing kitties.  In recent years I am out as soon as I can launch my tube...anywhere from mid February to early March.

[Image: FINE-FINISH.jpg]

In earlier days TubeBabe and I did a lot of iceout bank tangling in the channel at the south marina.  In the days before shad and wipers the cats grew bigger...up to about 20 pounds...and it was common to catch at least one of 10 pounds or more.

[Image: SO-MARINA.jpg] [Image: WILLARD-SPRING.jpg] [Image: TUBEBABE-S-HAUL.jpg]

One of my all-time favorite rememberies was of an early morning when I was soaking crawlers out off the point where the boat basin joins the channel.  It was around the first of March and I had been catching quite a few cats...and even a stray walleye or two.  I would cast the crawler on a light sinker rig out into the channel and the current from the runoff inflow would slowly move it downstream until it stopped along the channel edge.  As I was waiting for an "inquiry" I was joined by an old goober who asked "Catchin' any pike?"  That was how a lot of Utahns referred to walleye in those days.  I politely answered that I was fishing for catfish.  With a look of disdain on his face he told me that I was doin' it all wrong.  Everybody knows catfish only bite at night...and during the warm months of summer.

Right on cue my rod went bendo with a catfish.  I reeled it in and added it to the stringer with the other cats.  When I looked around the old goober was halfway back to his car.  You can always tell an old fool.  You just can't tell them much they don't already know.
(02-26-2023, 02:44 AM)wiperhunter2 Wrote:
(02-26-2023, 02:35 AM)danell Wrote: What a welcomed site. Looking forward to getting in the boat and out of the exhausting hikes needed for ice fishing.

It is looking better and better every day. I just can't wait i feel like a little kid in a candy store!!!
Thanks for the HeadsUp. Curt
(02-26-2023, 07:46 PM)oldguy Wrote:
(02-26-2023, 02:44 AM)wiperhunter2 Wrote:

It is looking better and better every day. I just can't wait i feel like a little kid in a candy store!!!
Thanks for the Heads Up. Curt

No problem, it was amazing to see it had opened up that much in one day, the only problem is that ice in the marina is likely at least 3 or 4 inches except around the edges.
Back in those days, 70's and 80's, I rarely fished Willard, it wasn't until they stocked the shad, then wipers that I started fishing Willard on a regular bases. I heard the stories of cats up to 20 lbs and common place 10 lbers that folks caught while trolling close to the dike but it just did not interest me at the time. Now I wish I had got out there at least once to catch one of those big old cats. We were hoping an eye would come a calling yesterday maybe even a perch but no such luck but the cats kept us entertained, you can always count on them, thank goodness.
(02-26-2023, 08:53 PM)wiperhunter2 Wrote: Back in those days, 70's and 80's, I rarely fished Willard, it wasn't until they stocked the shad, then wipers that I started fishing Willard on a regular bases. I heard the stories of cats up to 20 lbs and common place 10 lbers that folks caught while trolling close to the dike but it just did not interest me at the time. Now I wish I had got out there at least once to catch one of those big old cats. We were hoping an eye would come a calling yesterday maybe even a perch but no such luck but the cats kept us entertained, you can always count on them, thank goodness.
Not sure what the timetable will be this year...with all of the weird weather patterns.  But as soon as the water temps hit about 40 degrees the walleyes go into a prespawn bite mode.  It usually doesn't last more than a couple of weeks but if you find fish at that time they will usually hit...low and slow.  Definitely different than trolling at mach 3 for them in the summer.  Traditional best color plastic is white...or white with a blue back.  But chartreuse can be good too...depending on water clarity.  I plan to conduct some on-the-water research on the subject soon.  First gotta get my wife mobile again.  She is still on the mend from getting her second new knee...and I am the 24/7 primary caregiver.  If I can get her doing jumping jacks and kicking field goals by mid March I'll be chasing wallies.
Wow how quickly things change, I didn't hardly notice the temps go up much, but I guess I am on the other side of the hill, so maybe that's why I missed it... I was surprised to see the ice had melted already... Well glad to see some spring starting to show up, snows getting so deep up here I need to get the snowmobile running just to get in and out of here... Good thing for a tractor so I can move some snow... Later Jeff
When things get stressful think I'll go fish'en and worry about it tomorrow!
(02-27-2023, 02:02 PM)SkunkedAgain Wrote: Wow how quickly things change, I didn't hardly notice the temps go up much, but I guess I am on the other side of the hill, so maybe that's why I missed it... I was surprised to see the ice had melted already... Well glad to see some spring starting to show up, snows getting so deep up here I need to get the snowmobile running just to get in and out of here... Good thing for a tractor so I can move some snow... Later Jeff

We are getting temps up to 40 a few days during the week before those storm fronts move in again and that with the wind blowing from the South is helping get the ice off. With the higher elevation where you are, it's not quit there yet but it coming. March has always been the month when change happens, so it won't be long and we will all be getting some Spring weather. Another 3 to 4 inches here this morning but there wasn't nearly as much snow around Willard when we were there, compared to my house.
(02-26-2023, 11:31 PM)TubeDude Wrote: Not sure what the timetable will be this year...with all of the weird weather patterns.  But as soon as the water temps hit about 40 degrees the walleyes go into a prespawn bite mode.  It usually doesn't last more than a couple of weeks but if you find fish at that time they will usually hit...low and slow.  Definitely different than trolling at mach 3 for them in the summer.  Traditional best color plastic is white...or white with a blue back.  But chartreuse can be good too...depending on water clarity.  I plan to conduct some on-the-water research on the subject soon.  First gotta get my wife mobile again.  She is still on the mend from getting her second new knee...and I am the 24/7 primary caregiver.  If I can get her doing jumping jacks and kicking field goals by mid March I'll be chasing wallies.

Interesting, Can't say I every tried white when bottom bouncing for eyes but I'll be sure to give it a try Pat, thanks for the infio. We have been having our best luck this Winter on white or silver and blue fligs and wobblers but plain white isn't a color I've tried. Best of luck with Dolores and getting her going again.
I will be as Willard for a couple weeks in June this year. IF they get the lake full enough the cat fish troll will be good for the big ones. Pretty consistent bite.
My prediction is that we will start fishing Willard as soon as it opens up, because this past winter has been a bust as far as Ice fishing go's. And we cant wait to get back on the soft water.
I will also be there as soon as I can . I can't wait it is driving me crazy because I don't fish the hard deck. Hope to see you all soon