Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
FG 3-2/3-4
Went out of swim Beach /Stateline area Thursday to Saturday. Ice was 14+in everywhere we drilled with 2-6in of snow on top. Easy traveling for snowmobiles and 4x4 wheeler's. We camped in 25-35fow and had few burb caught. Nothing big in size or #'s though. While I was fishing deep water 105ft I was finally able to connect with what we've been chasing. It came in at 41.5in and 25lbs. Beat my personal best by 5in and easily 6lbs+ The wind was pretty brutal at times and was drifting about everywhere it could. Good times. Can't wait to get back up there!

[Image: Snapchat-439525696.jpg]

[Image: Video-Capture-20230304-234409.jpg]

[Image: 20230303-165843.jpg]

[Image: 20230303-170446.jpg]

[Image: 20230303-175055.jpg]
That is a beautiful fish. On the subject of burbot... Seems the catch rate is down this year and maybe last year too. Are you seeing that or is it just the me hearing from the wrong sources? I am wondering if all the efforts to reduce them are working.
Remember: keep the lid on the worms, share your jerky, and stop by to say hi to Cookie and the Cowboy-Pirate crew
That's a beauty.  Congrats!
(03-05-2023, 08:05 PM)Cowboypirate Wrote: That is a beautiful fish. On the subject of burbot... Seems the catch rate is down this year and maybe last year too. Are you seeing that or is it just the me hearing from the wrong sources? I am wondering if all the efforts to reduce them are working.

Thanks CP, we have noticed a big change in the amount of burbot we get at night the last 3-4 years for sure. Wasn't uncommon for a guy to get 20-30 a night 4 years ago, but we were camping up stream a lot higher back then. We chase the safer camping ice south now and there's a better chance for a big boy.

(03-05-2023, 08:14 PM)Jig-fisher Wrote: That's a beauty. Congrats!

Thanks JF, only took me almost 10yrs to the date to get another big one. My last personal best was 36in. Didn't get a weight as we didn't carry a scale back then

[Image: IMG341-Copy.jpg]

[Image: IMG342-Copy.jpg]
Congrats on beating your pb
Yippy Matt, way to get a monster... So happy you got him... Been hoping you would send me a text like that one... One day I'll find one like that, I hope... Congratulations.. Jeff
When things get stressful think I'll go fish'en and worry about it tomorrow!
Outstanding fish! Thanks for the post. Gets me super excited. Got my first try at lake trout in 2 weeks if the ice holds. I have 4” and 6” white tube jigs and 5” green tube jigs, 1 oz and 1.5 oz hooks. What did you use and did you tip them with bait?
Thanks guys. Been using 6-8in tubes in white and green. Not using any bait for the lakers. Keep the hooks tucked in and the jig close to the bottom.
Awesome job Matt, great looking fish
Awesome fish! Congrats....hoping to get out 1 more time before that area melts off. Loving this ice fishing year!