Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
FG 3/10-11
Tried an overnight out of dutch john past weekend.  Fished antelope flats friday, road to the boat launch had 12-14" of snow, made it with chains on front in a tundra, trailering a snow machine [would have been smarter to just run the sled from the highway].  Marked a lot of fish in 60-80 fow, lots of bites no hook ups. then fished deeper, about 100, and  iced one 25" mac. Other guys in our group didn't catch anything.  Saturday hit lucerne, and marked less fish but more were cooperative.   fishing in well over a 100 fow and using tube jigs.  Not one strategy worked for all fish, kept changing it up and eventually connected on a few.   iced 24",  27" and 41" mac. other guys in  our group fishing shallower and not connecting.  hoping to make it out again one more time.  6 inches of snow on the ice over 12-14" of ice, with a layer of slush starting to form <1" so far. 
Nice, that's a decent trip and some good sizes! We were at Lucerne a few weeks ago w a 2-wheel drive and has some fun at 60ft.

How was the snow on the road to Lucerne Marina?
Thanks for the report SP, good deal on hooking some up. We're heading back up Thursday- Sunday. Figured the slush would make an appearance soon. Just hope it stays minimal till next week. Fingers crossed. To bad antelope didn't work better for you guys. Been watching over there and it hasn't been getting as much pressure compared to swim Beach/ state line and Lucerne/ Lynnwood. Haven't decided where we're hitting yet but we'll be somewhere in that area for sure.
Solopaddle- I was up two weeks ago and fished Sheep Creek a couple days. Ice was about 13". We caught pups and a couple bows shallower. Should have hit Lucerne! I just thought this might be a one-in-a-lifetime chance to ice fish Sheep Creek and never made it out to the big water.
Live and learn!
It's incredible how much dry snow is up there everywhere, though....
(03-13-2023, 07:12 PM)happysurf22 Wrote: Nice, that's a decent trip and some good sizes! We were at Lucerne a few weeks ago w a 2-wheel drive and has some fun at 60ft.

How was the snow on the road to Lucerne Marina?

Nothing was plowed, no surprises there but you could access lucerne with any all wheel drive car, suv, truck. With the weather warming there won't be much impediment on that main lucerne road.  Access to state line/swim beach could be a bit stickier because of freeze-thaw but i didnt drive down there to verify.

(03-13-2023, 09:09 PM)Muskyon46 Wrote: Thanks for the report SP, good deal on hooking some up. We're heading back up Thursday- Sunday. Figured the slush would make an appearance soon. Just hope it stays minimal till next week. Fingers crossed. To bad antelope didn't work better for you guys. Been watching over there and it hasn't been getting as much pressure compared to swim Beach/ state line and Lucerne/ Lynnwood. Haven't decided where we're hitting yet but we'll be somewhere in that area for sure.

Exactly why we tried there first - very little pressure compared to more accessible areas.   

I am not endorsing this but I will report it - a guy did take a snow dog across the big pressure ridge directly east of the lucerne marina in order to fish antelope flats.  he made several attempts and then found a way through, saved him a long drive around the reservoir, but as the kids say it looked "sketchy AF."
that 12 to 14 in of Ice does not sound that good to me.   I'm waiting for 0 ice
thanks for the report
I fished out of Lucern yesterday and the road is great. It was my first attempt at lake trout thru the ice. Skunksville for me. I fished from 7:30 am to 6:00 pm. I was mostly in 80-90’ but tried shallower. I marked several in the am and then a few more around 5:00 pm. I had 3 chasers hit on the wind and one that hit while the tube jiggled right on the bottom. I was unable to hook any of those. A lot of the fish I marked would follow it up but then lose interest quickly. Then I’d drop it and they’d follow it down half heartedly. I’m wondering if lake trout get more lethargic as the season progresses? Clearly I have a lot to learn. I used 1-1.5 oz hooks with white glow or green. White seemed to get the best response. I don’t like winding up a 1.5 oz jig. Too dang heavy. I’m think 3/4oz would be just fine. There are some little pockets of thin or no ice on some corners and small shallow bays. Spooked me on my sled. With these warm days? Where I drilled was plenty thick. I had some spots I wanted to try over near Antelope area but that pressure ridge kept me away. The trail I took down to the lake from Lucern camp ground was completely snow free when I road back up Monday evening. Sprayed mud all over the sled I was dragging. Maybe there’s a better spot to launch.