Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Fish Lake weekend report 3/9-3/11
We went to the far end of the lake by the gate at the last pit toilet. Had to camp on over two feet of snow that I will call the windy sink hole camp because we took a 4-wheeler instead of a tracked machine. That area had around 12 inches of slushy snow on the lake and deeper snow getting out to it. Ice was around 22-inch thickness. Fishing was ok mostly dinkey perch but some small splake and rainbows nothing to brag about. Wind more than usual with some snowstorms nothing heavy. We like to Goto the other side but needed a tracked machine. (Snowmobile, snow dog or tracks on 4-wheeler) We are a learning in process and will make corrections for next year's Fish Lakes camp over ice fishing trip. Come on 5 pounder and Fish on! to Ya'll!    Wheat
[Image: fishlake3.jpg]
That's Winter camping at it's finest right there, looks like you have done that before. Too bad the catching wasn't the best but I guess it was a change from normal fishing where you don't camp. Were you able to walk out from your camp and fish or did you have to go to another location to access the ice?
(03-15-2023, 01:35 PM)wiperhunter2 Wrote: That's Winter camping at it's finest right there, looks like you have done that before. Too bad the catching wasn't the best but I guess it was a change from normal fishing where you don't camp. Were you able to walk out from your camp and fish or did you have to go to another location to access the ice?

Yes, it is somewhat pack down from the traffic heading out onto the lake and the snowplows plow around the pit toilet and create a parking area so people can access the lake. Four-wheeler was too heavy with all the snow but tracked machines could get gear out on the lake. We just mulled the gear out the old-fashioned way in the tub sleds. Next year's trip we plan on taking something with tracks but all and all it still was good times.
(03-15-2023, 09:10 PM)AJBwheat1222 Wrote:
(03-15-2023, 01:35 PM)wiperhunter2 Wrote: That's Winter camping at it's finest right there, looks like you have done that before. Too bad the catching wasn't the best but I guess it was a change from normal fishing where you don't camp. Were you able to walk out from your camp and fish or did you have to go to another location to access the ice?

Yes, it is somewhat pack down from the traffic heading out onto the lake and the snowplows plow around the pit toilet and create a parking area so people can access the lake. Four-wheeler was too heavy with all the snow but tracked machines could get gear out on the lake. We just mulled the gear out the old-fashioned way in the tub sleds. Next year's trip we plan on taking something with tracks but all and all it still was good times.

Having a good time it always the best part but catching a few fish is always a nice bonus.
Just adding some more show and tell pics. 
[Image: IMG-1754.jpg]

[Image: IMG-1743.jpg]

[Image: IMG-1759.jpg]

[Image: fishlack1.jpg]

[Image: IMG-1739.jpg]

(03-15-2023, 11:37 PM)wiperhunter2 Wrote:
(03-15-2023, 09:10 PM)AJBwheat1222 Wrote:

Having a good time it always the best part but catching a few fish is always a nice bonus.
Yep, added some more pics. I think people will get more ice time on Fish Lake than some of the other Lakes.
Great pics, is that plywood on the floor inside the tents? Looks like you thought of everything, even a TV, that's camping in style.
(03-18-2023, 01:14 PM)wiperhunter2 Wrote: Great pics, is that plywood on the floor inside the tents? Looks like you thought of everything, even a TV, that's camping in style.

We put down insulated foam pads, outdoor carpet then a wielders shield blanket, under the wood burning stove area to keep snow and ice from melting and to protect the foam and outdoor carpet. The outdoor carpet covers the entire tents floors. Depending on how many people come we add more tents so we were 12 foot wide and 30 foot long this year. TV is for movie nights, the kids love these adventures when we make it a 3 or more days trip. Yep, Glamping Fish on trip!
(03-18-2023, 10:34 PM)AJBwheat1222 Wrote:
(03-18-2023, 01:14 PM)wiperhunter2 Wrote: Great pics, is that plywood on the floor inside the tents? Looks like you thought of everything, even a TV, that's camping in style.

We put down insulated foam pads, outdoor carpet then a wielders shield blanket, under the wood burning stove area to keep snow and ice from melting and to protect the foam and outdoor carpet. The outdoor carpet covers the entire tents floors. Depending on how many people come we add more tents so we were 12 foot wide and 30 foot long this year. TV is for movie nights, the kids love these adventures when we make it a 3 or more days trip. Yep, Glamping Fish on trip!

Kids love those kind of adventures, sounds like you guys were all set up right. At one time I had a 12x12 canvas tent but unlike yours, mine had a hub in the center, yours look better