Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Lower Weber stream flows
Many of you who fish the lower Weber between highway 89 and Echo are most likely aware of the current high stream flows. Last year significant releases from Echo didn't begin until the middle of May. This year they began to occur around January 5. Current releases from Echo are at 521 cfs. Who knows how high they may go.

Out of curiosity I reached out to the Weber River Water Users Association to see if they had a specific water release plan by date for the water year. Wanted to share with the group the information I received:

[Image: default-user=s40-p]
Rick Smith <Ricks@davisweber.org>
Sat, Mar 18, 2:05 PM (20 hours ago)

Thanks for the email. There is not a website where planned releases are noted, because specific releases are not planned too far into the future. Weber Basin is in charge of flood control, and releases are occurring due to high reservoirs and the large snowpack which will cause large runoff volumes. They are trying to get water down to Willard and have room in reservoirs for the runoff. 

Mother Nature will dictate on how fast the snowpack melts and runoff occur. Weber Basin does their best to use forecasts and manage storage and flows. They would have made larger releases sooner, but there have been construction projects in the Weber River.

Hopefully that helps answer your questions. 
Rick

Good news obviously for our drought situation, but will make fishing treacherous. Be careful out there!
Thanks much for sharing that info with us, do you know what construction projects they are talking about on the Weber river?
(03-20-2023, 01:30 AM)wiperhunter2 Wrote: Thanks much for sharing that info with us, do you know what construction projects they are talking about on the Weber river?

I'm not sure what construction projects he was referring to. Perhaps the railroad trestle project at the Croydon exit? The only other project I am aware of occurred last year in the Petersen stretch, where the river was temporarily diverted to allow for some sort of buried utility lines/pipes going into the new Wasatch Peaks resort property. But I believe that was completed last year.
(03-20-2023, 02:40 AM)Riffle Wrote:
(03-20-2023, 01:30 AM)wiperhunter2 Wrote: Thanks much for sharing that info with us, do you know what construction projects they are talking about on the Weber river?

I'm not sure what construction projects he was referring to. Perhaps the railroad trestle project at the Croydon exit? The only other project I am aware of occurred last year in the Petersen stretch, where the river was temporarily diverted to allow for some sort of buried utility lines/pipes going into the new Wasatch Peaks resort property. But I believe that was completed last year.

The project is the bridge replacement at the Devils Slide exit. It was supposed to be complete this spring. However, the last update I got was the need to start early release from Echo will delay the completion. There is a web page that posts updates. If I can find it again I will share the link.
Remember: keep the lid on the worms, share your jerky, and stop by to say hi to Cookie and the Cowboy-Pirate crew
Was running 1060 this morning. Haven't seen those kinda numbers in a long time
(04-03-2023, 01:04 AM)sam.mccrea Wrote: Was running 1060 this morning. Haven't seen those kinda numbers in a long time

As of this morning, the release out of Echo was at 1470 cfs! I wonder what this will do to the structure of the river? Certainly very dangerous if you try to fish. Everyone be careful!
(04-04-2023, 09:59 PM)Riffle Wrote:
(04-03-2023, 01:04 AM)sam.mccrea Wrote: Was running 1060 this morning. Haven't seen those kinda numbers in a long time

As of this morning, the release out of Echo was at 1470 cfs! I wonder what this will do to the structure of the river? Certainly very dangerous if you try to fish. Everyone be careful!

Just think how bad it will be if they don't let all that water out, with the warm up that is coming, we can expect flooding in the coming days and that could be much worse than a high stream flow that's happening now, hope I'm wrong but there is a lot of snow in the mountains.
I just hope they are able to get enough down stream fast enough otherwise it could truly get dangerous! Definitely going to effect the river bed and path, it'll be interesting to see what happened once the high waters finally recede this summer.
(04-05-2023, 07:11 PM)richyd4u Wrote: I just hope they are able to get enough down stream fast enough otherwise it could truly get dangerous! Definitely going to effect the river bed and path, it'll be interesting to see what happened once the high waters finally recede this summer.

It's likely to get really bad before it's all over this Spring, we got to hope for the best but my guess is there will be another river running down State street in SLC. The fields along the Weber will likely be flooded along with many other rivers.
Thanks for the info
(05-14-2023, 03:45 PM)DekeH Wrote: Thanks for the info

A lot of water coming off in the Wasatch back. Rivers will all be high for a month or so.