Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Kitties gone wild @Willard
So I have not posted in ages but I am back and with an inspiring fishing report for whisker hunters and not so inspiring for walleye. Got a wild hair to drive from the town of Henefer to Willard 2 days in a row. Focused on trying to get some eyes to bite Sunday with no luck. Tried the inlet and holy shiot the water is raging in through the ladders. Snagged almost every cast tons of debris in the water lost every jig head I allotted myself for the trip. Went home skunked. I got an even wilder hair later this morning despite the crap weather I had a nagging urge to try again but with a b
[Image: 20230320-200325-HDR.jpg]

ait rod and a jig rod. Still no luck jigging. But wholly smokes first cast with bait 2 minutes in the water max line was screaming off the bait caster with the clicker on. Dang thing was a freight train because it broke my knot when I set the hook. I said "What? No way!" Thinking it was a fluke. So having lost my only weight for Catfish I had at the moment I used a jighead instead and just sunk the bait with that and another short time had my first fish landed. Kept repeating throwing to the edge of the fast current and let the jig fall and bounce around and bang another. Kept it up until I limited out. Cut bait was the choice of the whisker family I brought home.
(03-21-2023, 02:33 AM)Lipnrip Wrote: So I have not posted in ages but I am back and with an inspiring fishing report for whisker hunters and not so inspiring for walleye. Got a wild hair to drive from the town of Henefer to Willard 2 days in a row. Focused on trying to get some eyes to bite Sunday with no luck. Tried the inlet and holy shiot the water is raging in through the ladders. Snagged almost every cast tons of debris in the water lost every jig head I alotted myself for the trip. Went home skunked. I got an oven wilder hair later this morning despite the crap weather I had a nagging urge to try again but with a bait rod and a jig rod. Still no luck jigging. But wholly smokes first cast with bait 2 minutes in the water max line was screaming off the bait caster with the clicker on. Dang thing was a freight train because it broke my knot when I set the hook. I said "What? No way!" Thinking it was a fluke. So having lost my only weight for Catfish I had at the moment I used a jighead instead and just sunk the bait with that and another short time had my first fish landed. Kept repeating throwing to the edge of the fast current and let the jig fall and bounce around and bang another. Kept it up until I limited out. Cut bait was the choice of the whisker family I brought home.

Great report, good to hear the cats a biting, what kind of bait were you using? It won't be long before the eyes are there as well.
(03-21-2023, 02:49 AM)wiperhunter2 Wrote: Great report, good to hear the cats a biting, what kind of bait were you using? It won't be long before the eyes are there as well.
Just some beat up sucker meat i had from ice fishing this winter
(03-21-2023, 03:10 AM)Lipnrip Wrote:
(03-21-2023, 02:49 AM)wiperhunter2 Wrote: Great report, good to hear the cats a biting, what kind of bait were you using? It won't be long before the eyes are there as well.
Just some beat up sucker meat i had from ice fishing this winter

I haven't tried sucker meat for years, sounds like the bail of choice on the day you were there, hopefully they will like chub meat today.
Seems like sucker is always the best bait I have, but I don't ever have much of it... Kind of kicking myself for throwing that sucker back at Bear Lake a couple weeks ago... They are great bait.... Congrats on a great trip, sounds like a lot of fun... Get us all excited to start the open water fishing... seems like the early catch rates never go as good as your trip... Congrats... Jeff
When things get stressful think I'll go fish'en and worry about it tomorrow!
(03-21-2023, 02:33 AM)Lipnrip Wrote: So I have not posted in ages but I am back and with an inspiring fishing report for whisker hunters and not so inspiring for walleye. Got a wild hair to drive from the town of Henefer to Willard 2 days in a row. Focused on trying to get some eyes to bite Sunday with no luck. Tried the inlet and holy shiot the water is raging in through the ladders. Snagged almost every cast tons of debris in the water lost every jig head I allotted myself for the trip. Went home skunked. I got an even wilder hair later this morning despite the crap weather I had a nagging urge to try again but with a b
[Image: 20230320-200325-HDR.jpg]

ait rod and a jig rod. Still no luck jigging. But wholly smokes first cast with bait 2 minutes in the water max line was screaming off the bait caster with the clicker on. Dang thing was a freight train because it broke my knot when I set the hook. I said "What? No way!" Thinking it was a fluke. So having lost my only weight for Catfish I had at the moment I used a jighead instead and just sunk the bait with that and another short time had my first fish landed. Kept repeating throwing to the edge of the fast current and let the jig fall and bounce around and bang another. Kept it up until I limited out. Cut bait was the choice of the whisker family I brought home.

Nice report.  Soon as I get my boat set up for the season, I'll be hitting Willard, if the weather will at least stay not too windy and not too cold   Confused .   When the Cats are on the bite, they will hit most anything.  My best luck last couple seasons was getting out in the middle of the bay, dropping a couple lines overboard baited with raw shrimp, no weights,  and just drifting.  The weight of just the bait keeps the line down near the bottom but far fewer snags on bottom.
"OCD = Obsessive Catfish Disorder "
    Or so it says on my license plate holder

Cool