Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
UL 4-2-23
Finally seen a break in the weather and time to go,  met my brother at Lincoln to just after 7 first one there, long ways almost had to get up the day before to get there on time, checked out the harbor for depth, plenty good to go, we was in his boat anyway, 2 ft under the boat in the harbor, headed to the island, water temp 41, hit all the bumps that have produced before, nothing, one boat come out to joint us, they had the same results, about 9 or so headed over by the orchards, water temp 45 up to 46 when we got blown off about 2:30, ended up with 3 eyes one other on and few taps, all males ready to go and a seen a few roll, they are spawning, water color not bad,  

[Image: ul-4-2-23.jpg]

On my way home, Deer creek some open water walsburg and charlston, furthest north spot by the highway all had fishermen, Strawberry, cna just see the fence posts tops in some spots, a few ice fishermen, Starvy had grey ice and water pooling on top. hopefully it goes away soon now spring looks like it is showing up finally.  Big Grin
               O.C.F.D.
[Image: download.jpg]
Sorry the big girls din't wanna play.  But glad you got some eaters.  Kinda late start for you this year.
Congrats, great start to the open water eye season. Seems you are normally casting jigs, was that the method you used yesterday? Do you ever pull worm harness on bottom bouncers?
TD. I think those big girls did there normal thing in mid march, I think I missed it , no that I wont try again, these males where ready to go , not sue about the females, like always there the ones to decide when its time.

WH2, ya throwing jigs, these fish where caught in 3 ft - water, later after the spawn is over, a guy might, I do pull them at DC and starvy, tho,
               O.C.F.D.
Mike,
You'll have to get some entered in the contest, you're all signed up, if you need any info on how to post or what to do let me know? Thanks Jeff
When things get stressful think I'll go fish'en and worry about it tomorrow!
(04-03-2023, 06:31 PM)SkunkedAgain Wrote: Mike,
You'll have to get some entered in the contest, you're all signed up, if you need any info on how to post or what to do let me know?  Thanks Jeff

plan on it, I printed off the placard, remembered to take it home,  left it sitting right there on the table,  those ones arent very big just good eaters, Ill remember next time, maybe, might have to wait for starvy to chase the big girls,
               O.C.F.D.
(04-03-2023, 05:45 PM)MSM1970 Wrote: TD. I think those big girls did there normal thing in mid march,  I think I missed it , no that I wont try again,  these males where ready to go , not sue  about the females, like always there the ones to decide when its time.

WH2,  ya throwing jigs,  these fish where caught in 3 ft - water,  later after the spawn is over,  a guy might,  I do pull them  at DC and starvy, tho,

Best color(s)?

You are probably right about the prespawn action happening earlier.  It is a combination of temps (40 degrees) and hours of daylight that trigger that brief period.

You also might wanna think about coming over in early June...post spawn.  I catch a few bigguns every year about that time on small jigs fishing for white bass.
[Image: SAY-AAAAAH.jpg]

(04-03-2023, 08:29 PM)TubeDude Wrote:
(04-03-2023, 05:45 PM)MSM1970 Wrote: TD. I think those big girls did there normal thing in mid march,  I think I missed it , no that I wont try again,  these males where ready to go , not sue  about the females, like always there the ones to decide when its time.

WH2,  ya throwing jigs,  these fish where caught in 3 ft - water,  later after the spawn is over,  a guy might,  I do pull them  at DC and starvy, tho,

Best color(s)?

You are probably right about the prespawn action happening earlier.  It is a combination of temps (40 degrees) and hours of daylight that trigger that brief period.

You also might wanna think about coming over in early June...post spawn.  I catch a few bigguns every year about that time on small jigs fishing for white bass.
[Image: SAY-AAAAAH.jpg]

[Image: 22.jpg]

red with chartruce tail,  I need to get some more from you, see if you can find them, ya I found them in may but there not as fat as when there full of eggs, gonna be working starvy that time of year and as soon as the ice is off, but you never know.
               O.C.F.D.
(04-03-2023, 06:54 PM)MSM1970 Wrote:
(04-03-2023, 06:31 PM)SkunkedAgain Wrote: Mike,
You'll have to get some entered in the contest, you're all signed up, if you need any info on how to post or what to do let me know?  Thanks Jeff

plan on it, I printed off the placard, remembered to take it home,  left it sitting right there on the table,  those ones arent very big just good eaters, Ill remember next time, maybe, might have to wait for starvy to chase the big girls,

I'm having the same problem of getting my new placard printed up so I can have it at the ready... Should do that this morning so when the chance allows I can take a picture... I'm not too worried about you not finding more walleye, for me that would probably have been missing my only chance.... Good luck finding the big ones... Later Jeff
When things get stressful think I'll go fish'en and worry about it tomorrow!