Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Return to Lincoln 4 1 2023
Jon had heard that a walleye had been caught at Lincoln point and the weather looked OK, so we went out to find one. I guess the last one had been caught or that was my excuse until I saw Mike’s report.

We arrived at the Lincoln ramp shortly after 7 A.M. to find 1 empty trailer in the lot and one serious looking walleye boat on the ramp. Air temp was slightly below freezing and the water slightly above 40 degrees. I was expecting mid to upper 40’s so 41 didn’t bode well for lots of catching, but the morning looked beautiful. The channel depth varied from 1.7 to 2.5 feet and I kept the big motor trimmed up until we got out of the jaws. I measured when I got home and the bottom of my transducer is 11” below the water line so I estimate about 2 and half feet of water in the shallow spot about halfway down the channel. It will only get better for the next 3 or 4 months

[Image: Sunrise.jpg] 

[Image: leaving-the-dock.jpg]

We headed around the point and were greeted by 10 to 20 half submerged wader worriers and 3 boats between the L and the orchards. We stayed farther north and eased into the shallows. We threw jigs and crankbaits at several spots of the first 2 hours and all we got were cold fingers and a pretty sunrise.

A little before 10 we decided to work our way out of the rocks, put the cat gear in the water, loop around the west side of the group of waders and then work back in and try some more casting. We never made it back in.

In keeping with the cold water, we started slowly strolling small FLIGs, FLAITs and plain hooks baited with smallish chunks of thawed white bass. About 5 minutes later my FLIG rod started to bend slowly. “I think you are snagged” Jon said. I picked up the rod and felt a tug. “No it’s a real fish!” We actually had a bite in 8’ of 40 degree water! It was really good to feel a solid tug after the long winter and when I saw it I thought: “That is a great cat!” Well not only were we rusty at recognizing the hits, but the size calibration had slipped bit too. It turned out to be a fat 28” kitty, a little over 9 pounds. No skunk this time! Thanks Pat for the white FLIG with the red eye. It caught both of my cats.

[Image: 28.jpg]

While I was getting my cat out of the net Jon hooked up and landed one about 7 pounds. We spent the rest of the trip working that depth and ended up with 4 cats between 6 and 9 pounds. It always surprises me to see them so fat so early. All the cats hit in water 7 to 8’ deep at speeds between 0.4 and 0.5 MPH.

[Image: Jon-s-first-of-2023.jpg]

[Image: Second-with-White-FLIG.jpg]

[Image: Jon-s-second.jpg]

About noon the wind picked up suddenly from the south, then just as quickly died down. A few minutes later it rose again a little higher and I said: “You OK if we call it a day?” Jon said he was and we headed back. We didn’t catch any walleye and didn’t see anyone catch any, but it was a great morning with each of landing and releasing 2 healthy cats. And so begins another year.
Glad you found some fish and got some tugs...even if the fish had whiskers and not sharp teeth and funny eyes.

About those white fligs with red eyes.  If you look over my vast (or half vast) collection of jigs, fligs and other lures you will see a lot of the white with hot red eyes.  I have often stated that I have fished all over the country...in fresh water and salt...in still waters and moving...and I have probably caught more fish of more species on that color combo than on almost all the rest combined.  In Utah Lake it is also deadly on both white bass and walleyes at times too.  Right behind it is the chartreuse with a hot red eye.

Good to hear the fish have some girth on them.  Hope the biomass of edible bait fishes...like white bass...is large enough to keep the predators big and growing.  If nothing else, the annual spawn of carplets will keep them fed for a while.  But hope enough whities escaped the dieoff to take advantage of the anticipated prime spawning conditions this year and that they proliferate once again.
Thanks Pat! I had forgotten how good that color was. I put it on mostly because I was looking for something I knew would work that had a smaller profile and hook for the cold water offering. It was great to see it perform well.

As for the girth, I'm wondering if the spring die off of WB happens to a smaller extent almost every year. I didn't keep any of these because I try to send them back if they are over 24", but the bellies looked somewhat like last years that I know had white bass inside them. Also, almost every spring it seems like the cats shut down for a few weeks right they first start biting.

Either way it looks like a good year for cats and everything else with all the water we have coming.
Yeah, all the snow and moisture we have gotten this winter sure shut up the doom and gloomers from last October.  Got a buddy who says "I'm gonna strangle the next person who says 'But we need the moisture'".

Things should be good this year, but even better in the future when the good spawning conditions of this year start showing up.

I only hope the Salt Lake huggers don't suck off all the water before we get our fishing holes filled.
at least you got rid of the skunk, ya there's still some eyes in there, just hard to find, got to know the exact spots , there was only about 6 waders first thing, they thinned out even before we left, at least there wasnt WB floating around dead, wanting to go this weekend, but might have to go turkey hunting. not sure yet.
               O.C.F.D.
[Image: download.jpg]
(04-03-2023, 08:22 PM)MSM1970 Wrote: at least you got rid of the skunk,  ya there's still some eyes in there,  just hard to find, got to know the exact spots ,  there was only about 6 waders first thing, they thinned out even before we left,  at least there wasnt WB floating around dead, wanting to go this weekend, but might have to go turkey hunting.  not sure yet.

You certainly have put in the time to find those exact spots! Keep sending out those reports and giving the rest of us hope. I've gotten a few over the years by stumbling onto them, but never any consistency. Do you think they are more spread out and easier to find inthe post spawn period?
(04-03-2023, 08:28 PM)Piscophilic Wrote:
(04-03-2023, 08:22 PM)MSM1970 Wrote: at least you got rid of the skunk,  ya there's still some eyes in there,  just hard to find, got to know the exact spots ,  there was only about 6 waders first thing, they thinned out even before we left,  at least there wasnt WB floating around dead, wanting to go this weekend, but might have to go turkey hunting.  not sure yet.

You certainly have put in the time to find those exact spots! Keep sending out those reports and giving the rest of us hope. I've gotten a few over the years by stumbling onto them, but never any consistency. Do you think they are more spread out and easier to find inthe post spawn period?

Ya there more spread out,  try to imitate WB there hanging around where they spawn, in the fall is some of the best I like to use shad rap short bill or rattle traps,  black and silver is the best,  caught plenty in the spring on those,  ya want it just above the rocks,  expect to chase down stuck lures and loose a few, remember to mark your structure edge as you move in and out from the main lake to rocky shelf, if you mark it every time you go back and forth pretty soon it build a line of where the shelf starts, really helpful on low water knowing where all the rocks are, before you know it youll have a few hundred way points like me,  just make as the bottom comes up on your FF.
               O.C.F.D.
Hey, I might have seen you guys out there Saturday. I rode out with Catrat just to see how the water level was maybe try a few casts from shore. There was a blue and white boat launching while we watched from the south side of launch. We stayed in the truck with Merle Haggard and Willie Nelsson until the sun came up. I figured the blue and white was either Mike or Jim but was not sure enough to give a shout.

We tried a couple of spots but had no action from the cats or the whites. Sure is good to see the water level climb up the launch ramp. Agree, it is only going to get better. Glad you guys got out and managed to pull in a few good ones. I hope to get my boat out as soon as I can get to it in my storage shed. I took the snow blade off of my wheeler and stored my snow blower last week. Planning to get them out and into service tomorrow. Huh

Hope to get on the water next week.
(04-03-2023, 11:35 PM)Boatloadakids Wrote: Hey, I might have seen you guys out there Saturday. I rode out with Catrat just to see how the water level was maybe try a few casts from shore. There was a blue and white boat launching while we watched from the south side of launch. We stayed in the truck with Merle Haggard and Willie Nelsson until the sun came up. I figured the blue and white was either Mike or Jim but was not sure enough to give a shout.

We tried a couple of spots but had no action from the cats or the whites. Sure is good to see the water level climb up the launch ramp. Agree, it is only going to get better. Glad you guys got out and managed to pull in a few good ones. I hope to get my boat out as soon as I can get to it in my storage shed. I took the snow blade off of my wheeler and stored my snow blower last week. Planning to get them out and into service tomorrow. Huh

Thats my old boat, blue and white,  new boat is white with a grey stripe Ranger. Its time to fish.
               O.C.F.D.
Great report Jim, glad you got on them and was fun following the eye chat... Sure wish I would have gotten my taxes figured before now so I could get out this week, but procrastinators have to pay the price.... Next week I'll get there unless I can finally get back to work on the greenhouse, meaning the snow finally melts up here.... This is the longest winter, man I'm ready to see some grass starting to show up.... Later Jeff
When things get stressful think I'll go fish'en and worry about it tomorrow!
(04-03-2023, 11:35 PM)Boatloadakids Wrote: Hey, I might have seen you guys out there Saturday. I rode out with Catrat just to see how the water level was maybe try a few casts from shore. There was a blue and white boat launching while we watched from the south side of launch. We stayed in the truck with Merle Haggard and Willie Nelsson until the sun came up. I figured the blue and white was either Mike or Jim but was not sure enough to give a shout.

Hey Lynn,

Yes, that was us. My "newer" boat is blue and white. There was another rig on the ramp when we got there and we were trying to give him space. I got a bigger boat primarily to fit in more grandkids when the weather is warmer. Sound familiar? I like it a lot when the water is a little rough too. I'll look forward to hearing when you get on the water next week.

(04-04-2023, 11:43 AM)SkunkedAgain Wrote: Great report Jim, glad you got on them and was fun following the eye chat... Sure wish I would have gotten my taxes figured before now so I could get out this week, but procrastinators have to pay the price.... Next week I'll get there unless I can finally get back to work on the greenhouse, meaning the snow finally melts up here.... This is the longest winter, man I'm ready to see some grass starting to show up.... Later Jeff

Thanks Jeff, it was fun to be out and get a few tugs. I hope you get through the "longest winter" soon. I think we have enough water for one winter and maybe 2! I actually read the other day that the water equivalent had reached a higher total than the previous 2 years combined. Mother nature doesn't seem to do well with "smoothing out the highs and lows." 

I am glad we didn't get another winter like 2022 though.
I agree, it's nice to recover, but a little hard to enjoy at this point... I'm just glad it looks like hope on the horizon... I think I can make it now... Later Jeff
Still no eyes for me yet LOL going to change this year I can feel it!!
(04-05-2023, 05:20 PM)big_griggs Wrote: Still no eyes for me yet LOL going to change this year I can feel it!!

I'll look forward to hearing your success stories! Every few years I have to go to Lake Powell or somewhere that has a sizable population just to convince myself I really can catch them.
Jim,

Good to know that was you in your "new and bigger" boat at the Lincoln launch last week. The bigger boat is much better when you plan to take the g-kids out. That was my goal when I got my boat after I retired in 2000. At that time my fishing plans almost always included a boat full of g-kids, hence the BFT user name of Boatloadakids. The name served me (us) well for 20 years but now seems outdated because my crew of g-kids has steadily diminished as they somehow grew up, marred, and now have their own boats. Still, I did my job because all of them are die hard fishers. I'll just shorten my username to BLK since I don't really have a boat load of kids anymore. Then again, I have a few gg-kids that will need training in the not too distant future so I'll stick with Boadloadakids.  Wink

I consider passing along the joy of fishing to be one of old age's greatest pleasures as well as an almost sacred obligation.

See you on the water,

Lynn, BLK, Boatloadakids
[quote="Boatloadakids" pid="1143743" dateline="1680719395"]
Jim,

Good to know that was you in your "new and bigger" boat at the Lincoln launch last week. The bigger boat is much better when you plan to take the g-kids out. That was my goal when I got my boat after I retired in 2000. At that time my fishing plans almost always included a boat full of g-kids, hence the BFT user name of Boatloadakids. The name served me (us) well for 20 years but now seems outdated because my crew of g-kids has steadily diminished as they somehow grew up, marred, and now have their own boats. Still, I did my job because all of them are die hard fishers. I'll just shorten my username to BLK since I don't really have a boat load of kids anymore. Then again, I have a few gg-kids that will need training in the not too distant future so I'll stick with Boadloadakids.  Wink

I consider passing along the joy of fishing to be one of old age's greatest pleasures as well as an almost sacred obligation.

See you on the water,

"I consider passing along the joy of fishing to be one of old age's greatest pleasures as well as an almost sacred obligation."

I'm right with you there. I hope I do a better job of it than I did with my 4 sons. They all loved to go, until they reached the teen aged years and they gradually drifted to other pursuits. They all want their kids to go, but none became die hards like their dad.
(04-05-2023, 06:36 PM)Piscophilic Wrote:
(04-05-2023, 06:29 PM)Boatloadakids Wrote: Jim,

See you on the water,

"I consider passing along the joy of fishing to be one of old age's greatest pleasures as well as an almost sacred obligation."

I'm right with you there. I hope I do a better job of it than I did with my 4 sons. They all loved to go, until they reached the teen aged years and they gradually drifted to other pursuits. They all want their kids to go, but none became die hards like their dad.

Don't lose hope Jim, I went through my power sport phase too, but I got better when I got married and had kids then I couldn't afford to keep putting fuel in the power sports, so I came back to my roots.... Not that I ever completely left, I just wasn't a die hard during those years... Later Jeff  (However, I don't think the powersports completely leave me alone either, that's why when I start hi-marking hills on my snowmobile while ice fishing all the old timers in the group are going dam kid when I get back... )