Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Oakley
Ran up to the lake this late this morning to check it out and toss in a line, pretty low still, but was great to get out and test out some new rapalas and enjoy the wildlife.

[Image: KIMG0317.jpg]

[Image: KIMG0315.jpg]

[Image: KIMG0311.jpg]
Any fish??? Been hoping to hear that the ice is off and it is time to get a boat out on the water!
No fish today, can definitely get the boat in though.
Thanks for the report Lyle, too bad the catching was so slow. Is the water level up to the ramp yet? What kind of bird is that?
It ok been pretty slow from what others said, it's up the low water ramp, so still pretty low. Not sure what it is, but he was friendly, hung around awhile just turning over rocks and eating close to us.
Going to try to hit it this weekend... fingers crossed for nice weather and hungry fish!
Made it to Oakley yesterday for the first time this year. Expecting sunny and 72 deg, we were greeted by cool, cloudy and WINDY weather for most of the day. Used the low water ramp to launch the boat with no issues at all and were one of about a half dozen on the lake. Did not venture at all towards the dam but stayed right in the bay and south of there. Tried pulling plugs, tossing jigs and bottom walker presentations. Ended the day catching 12 trout (one holdover and 11 stockers) and 4 walleyes (14 and 15 inchers). Saw water temps form about 48 to 55 degrees depending on where we were at. Was great to get out for the first trip of the year. Planning on a return trip in a few weeks.
Sounds like a decent day, except for the weather, hopefully the wind will stop one of these days.
Sounds like you did pretty good, especially for the trout, did you catch any of the trout while Bottom bouncing? What was your best color for catching the eyes? Thanks for the report.
(05-15-2023, 12:24 PM)wiperhunter2 Wrote: Sounds like you did pretty good, especially for the trout, did you catch any of the trout while Bottom bouncing? What was your best color for catching the eyes? Thanks for the report.

Nothing caught on the bottom bouncing rigs.  All fish except one walleye and one trout caught on that size 5 wonder bread pattern Storm Smash Shad.
(05-15-2023, 07:44 PM)psanders71 Wrote:
(05-15-2023, 12:24 PM)wiperhunter2 Wrote: Sounds like you did pretty good, especially for the trout, did you catch any of the trout while Bottom bouncing? What was your best color for catching the eyes? Thanks for the report.

Nothing caught on the bottom bouncing rigs.  All fish except one walleye and one trout caught on that size 5 wonder bread pattern Storm Smash Shad.
Wow, that's amazing, were you fishing close to the bottom with the storm lure for the eyes or up higher in the water column?
Hmm, that's crazy, glad I made some to try, wonder how a wonder bread jig and tail would work.
For the most part it was 10 to 20 feet trolling at about 1.6 mph. Ended up losing one of the few plugs I have when we accidentally got into 8 ft of water. Doh!
(05-16-2023, 03:54 AM)psanders71 Wrote: For the most part it was 10 to 20 feet trolling at about 1.6 mph.  Ended up losing one of the few plugs I have when we accidentally got into 8 ft of water. Doh!

OK, I see, so it varied, depending on how close to shore you got, so you could have been a few feet off the bottom up to maybe 10 or more feet off the bottom. Thanks for the info.
(05-16-2023, 01:10 PM)wiperhunter2 Wrote:
(05-16-2023, 03:54 AM)psanders71 Wrote: For the most part it was 10 to 20 feet trolling at about 1.6 mph.  Ended up losing one of the few plugs I have when we accidentally got into 8 ft of water. Doh!

OK, I see, so it varied, depending on how close to shore you got, so you could have been a few feet off the bottom up to maybe 10 or more feet off the bottom. Thanks for the info.

Exactly.  Do not have the bowmount trolling motor on the boat as of yet.  Using the 9.9 with that wind was a bit tricky at times and the irregular shoreline/depths.
(05-16-2023, 02:56 PM)psanders71 Wrote:
(05-16-2023, 01:10 PM)wiperhunter2 Wrote:

Exactly.  Do not have the bowmount trolling motor on the boat as of yet.  Using the 9.9 with that wind was a bit tricky at times and the irregular shoreline/depths.
On lakes like Oakley, it can be tough when trying to stay near the bottom, it's almost impossible not to snag up every once in a while. Were you trolling from the boat launch toward the dam or toward the inlet?
We stayed south of the launch the entire time, right in the bay and a ways down towards the inlet. We spent more time fishing the West side than the east but caught fish on both sides.
Ran up this morning and didn't do too bad.

[Image: KIMG0412.jpg]
(05-18-2023, 10:02 PM)meancuznalfy Wrote: Ran up this morning and didn't do too bad.

[Image: KIMG0412.jpg]

What did you catch?
A few trout, walleye and perch, not a bad day for just dinking around on shore.