Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Willard catfish 4.29.23
My brother and I seriously needed some therapy so we went fishing at Willard on Saturday.  We got there about 8:00 am and figured we would do some scouting first.  

First, the water is up into brush and weeds lie I have not seen in some time, and it is still coming up.  That should bode well for the Bass, Crappie, and Shad spawn if it warms up enough, fast enough.  Second, the water coming in is very muddy (no surprise) and colder.  A quick pass up the channel to the buoy and back showed no noticeable fish.  In fact running around to my favorite spots showed little, and when I did find fish, they had lock jaw.  My Brother lost a Wiper near the boat, and we had a few pop and drops, but neither bottom bouncers or crank baits seemed to be the trick.

We finally decided to try Catfish, and Willard did not let us down - which is good because or wives had instructed that we bring home dinner.  Big Grin   We ended up catching 7 cookie cutter cats, 6 measuring 24" and one a little smaller.  They were full of eggs and milt, so the Spawn is yet to come for sure.  We still had lots and lots of pop and drops (small fish maybe).  Our best bait was cut carp, thanks to one that decided to join us on the boat.

Of course, I can't end on a good note.  Angry My disrespect for the skier that blasted their excuse for music across the lake.  And my disdain for the person (OK, maybe they are not actually people, that would be too respectful), that plugged up the fish cleaning station at the North cleaning station.  I am sure that was none of us, but perhaps we should not be allowed to fish if we cannot read signs at the station that says turn the water on first?  Just saying!  Maybe a test like the Muscle-Aware program before a fishing license is allowed Huh
(05-01-2023, 01:30 AM)Anglinarcher Wrote: My brother and I seriously needed some therapy so we went fishing at Willard on Saturday.  We got there about 8:00 am and figured we would do some scouting first.  

First, the water is up into brush and weeds lie I have not seen in some time, and it is still coming up.  That should bode well for the Bass, Crappie, and Shad spawn if it warms up enough, fast enough.  Second, the water coming in is very muddy (no surprise) and colder.  A quick pass up the channel to the buoy and back showed no noticeable fish.  In fact running around to my favorite spots showed little, and when I did find fish, they had lock jaw.  My Brother lost a Wiper near the boat, and we had a few pop and drops, but neither bottom bouncers or crank baits seemed to be the trick.

We finally decided to try Catfish, and Willard did not let us down - which is good because or wives had instructed that we bring home dinner.  Big Grin   We ended up catching 7 cookie cutter cats, 6 measuring 24" and one a little smaller.  They were full of eggs and milt, so the Spawn is yet to come for sure.  We still had lots and lots of pop and drops (small fish maybe).  Our best bait was cut carp, thanks to one that decided to join us on the boat.

Of course, I can't end on a good note.  Angry My disrespect for the skier that blasted their excuse for music across the lake.  And my disdain for the person (OK, maybe they are not actually people, that would be too respectful), that plugged up the fish cleaning station at the North cleaning station.  I am sure that was none of us, but perhaps we should not be allowed to fish if we cannot read signs at the station that says turn the water on first?  Just saying!  Maybe a test like the Muscle-Aware program before a fishing license is allowed Huh

I am in agreement with you,  the fact that smart people are not very smart. 
Therefore there should be some test or signed statement for them to verify that they know and will follow the boating laws. And have some common sense. BEFORE giving then a boating license.
Are  you saying the fish cleaning station at the south marina is now open?  When I left about noon yesterday it was still covered.
(05-01-2023, 02:02 PM)TubeDude Wrote: Are  you saying the fish cleaning station at the south marina is now open?  When I left about noon yesterday it was still covered.

I could be wrong but I believe he was talking about the North marina. That cleaning station is always getting clogged, just like he said, people don't turn it on until after they put fish in it. Hopefully they will replace it soon, with one like the South end has.
Pat the fish cleaning station is open and working at the south marina .
(05-01-2023, 11:55 PM)oldguy Wrote: Pat the fish cleaning station is open and working at the south marina .

Thanks.  Hope to put it to good use on my next trip.