Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
26" day at bird island
So tyfighter and myself got up and got to the lake at 720am. Tyler has never been trained on how to ready a boat or put one in the water by himself. My back was hurting me so I was telling him how to start the boat which I've never trained him on. It took a few minutes but he finally got it started, which saved me a climb in the boat Yay. He docked the boat like a champ while I parked. 
Once on the water about 8am we headed for bird island. We anchored up in 6' of water and hurried and got lines out. About 10 minutes later I got the first fish off the day. It was a 26" catfish but not a bumper so back it went. I forgot my cooler so I wasn't keeping any. Over the next hour and a half Tyler caught 4 fish, 3 were 26" and one was 26.6". We moved to try a different spot and saw no noticeable action for 45 minutes my back was saying enough so we were telling in. But Tyler's line tightened up when he got near the boat. He had a fish get on and swim towards the boat without us knowing and it went from the front to the back and tangled in the anchor line. So I released the bale we pulled in the anchor and Tyler reeled in the fish by hand. I cut the leader as it swallowed the hook and measured.....26". Every fish but 1 was 26" and it was  26.5". We thought that was funny. Anyway we got the last rod reeled in and I dropped the trolling motor to see if the solution worked to fix it as a friend diagnosed it. It was a battery only putting out 8volt. I owned 4 batteries and was only using 3 so it was an easy fix. 
Any way trolling motor worked. I drove is in and baked up the truck in the water. I have Tyler some direction before I left him. He started the boat and come over towards the trailer and on the first try he put the boat on the trailer. He didn't hit guide rails either. He did awesome for first time. Saved my back. Not a bad morning. It was a26" day
Hey Justin, was this post supposed to be on a different forum? It’s posted on the contest board? I think I can move it. If not I need a picture to score the fish. Later Jeff
When things get stressful think I'll go fish'en and worry about it tomorrow!
Yes sorry it was suppose to be on general. I was using my phone and posted to wrong one sorry
I think this will get it in the right spot. Congrats on a great trip. I’m in the 24” mode and can’t find anything else except for one 15”er but that was going the wrong way. Later J
When things get stressful think I'll go fish'en and worry about it tomorrow!