Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
2023 WH2's garden
Went out and bought a few plants today for box #3 and a couple for box #2 but the rest are planted as seed. My guess is that a week to 10 days from now, I'll see some of them sprouting, especially in the hoop GH. 

[Image: 5-5-23-box-3.jpg]

watermelon, cantaloupe, cucumber

[Image: cover-on-3.jpg]

cover on #3 hoop green house

[Image: 2-box.jpg]

box #2 planted zucchini on left, right are two pole green bean plants and the rest are snow peas and pole green beans seeds

[Image: box-1.jpg]

left row is yellow squash, right is kale
(05-06-2023, 02:19 AM)wiperhunter2 Wrote: Went out and bought a few plants today for box #3 and a couple for box #2 but the rest are planted as seed. My guess is that a week to 10 days from now, I'll see some of them sprouting, especially in the hoop GH. 

[Image: 5-5-23-box-3.jpg]

watermelon, cantaloupe, cucumber

[Image: cover-on-3.jpg]

cover on #3 hoop green house

[Image: 2-box.jpg]

box #2 planted zucchini on left, right are two pole green bean plants and the rest are snow peas and pole green beans seeds

[Image: box-1.jpg]

left row is yellow squash, right is kale
Nice job!! 
Hey my zucchini plants never sprouted this year - where did you find your plants?  Jeff looked at Home depot and Lowes for some when he was there, here in Morgan they haven't yet received their plants in yet! I was thinking maybe Valley or J&Js might still have some.
(05-07-2023, 06:04 PM)jjannie Wrote:
(05-06-2023, 02:19 AM)wiperhunter2 Wrote: Went out and bought a few plants today for box #3 and a couple for box #2 but the rest are planted as seed. My guess is that a week to 10 days from now, I'll see some of them sprouting, especially in the hoop GH.
Nice job!! 
Hey my zucchini plants never sprouted this year - where did you find your plants?  Jeff looked at Home depot and Lowes for some when he was there, here in Morgan they haven't yet received their plants in yet! I was thinking maybe Valley or J&Js might still have some.
Valley has expanded and they have everything right now and the are the closest one to me. I planted my zucchini from seed, no plants but they grow so fast from seed I'm not concerned about them growing.
Pics after planting 10 days ago, check out the difference between the hoop green house seeds and the non hoop GH planted seeds.

[Image: GB-1-planted-10-days-ago.jpg]

non cover

[Image: GB-2-planted-10days-ago.jpg]

covered, the size difference is notable

[Image: GB-1-no-cover.jpg]

[Image: GB-2.jpg]

[Image: GB-3.jpg]

seeds were planted in the back
Garden is growing good, I'll need to take the cover off GH #3, because I noticed today the plants are starting to flower, if I don't the bees won't be able to pollinate. Box #1 did not have a GH cover but the plants are starting to grow but the the difference is noticeable with GH #2 having the cover.

[Image: Green-house-3-5-24-23.jpg]

[Image: Grow-box-1-5-24-23.jpg]

These were planted from seed but no GH cover
[Image: Green-house-2-5-24-23.jpg]

These were planted from seed but had the GH cover
Well, that's a huge difference!  

It's always nice to take a break from the daily garden checks and when you return there is positive growth like that. 

My yellow squash is blooming like crazy right now and with little bee presence yet I am pollinating them myself.  The zucchini has yet to flower. 

Hoping last night was end of our upper 40 degree nights so all our garden areas can really start taking off - can't cover everything - so fingers are crossed, 

Our son 'donated' to us a peony he didn't want. Normally, you'd do this when they are dormant so we'll see if it will make it - it's worth a try anyway. Don't even know what color it's supposed to be as our son couldn't remember. Fun to try.
(05-28-2023, 04:55 PM)jjannie Wrote: Well, that's a huge difference!  

It's always nice to take a break from the daily garden checks and when you return there is positive growth like that. 

My yellow squash is blooming like crazy right now and with little bee presence yet I am pollinating them myself.  The zucchini has yet to flower. 

Hoping last night was end of our upper 40 degree nights so all our garden areas can really start taking off - can't cover everything - so fingers are crossed, 

Our son 'donated' to us a peony he didn't want. Normally, you'd do this when they are dormant so we'll see if it will make it - it's worth a try anyway. Don't even know what color it's supposed to be as our son couldn't remember. Fun to try.
As fast as my zucchini are growing from seed, I don't think it will be too much longer before they start to bloom, like the store bought plants. It's a little cooler down here today only is the mid 60's so far. The rain this morning likely kept it cooler.
(05-28-2023, 07:35 PM)wiperhunter2 Wrote:
(05-28-2023, 04:55 PM)jjannie Wrote: Well, that's a huge difference!  

As fast as my zucchini are growing from seed, I don't think it will be too much longer before they start to bloom, like the store bought plants. It's a little cooler down here today only is the mid 60's so far. The rain this morning likely kept it cooler.
 we too were cooler and our rain was mixed with a little hail that shredded the flowering pots' flowers, but the garden didn't seem to suffer too badly.
I made the mistake of opening up my hoop GH's yesterday, then forgot to close them before the sprinklers came on, so they are now full of water, hopefully some of the water evaporates before the evening Undecided
These pics were taken 10 days after the last ones. I took off the cover on the #3 grow box because of all the blossoms. Box#2 has no blossoms, so I left the cover on but the plants are growing well. You will notice how small the plants are in box #1, because there was no cover on it.

[Image: GB-3.jpg]

box #3

[Image: cucumber-blossums.jpg]

[Image: GB-2.jpg]

box#2

[Image: GB-1.jpg]

box#1
That GH covering is really making a nice difference!
(06-12-2023, 03:12 PM)jjannie Wrote: That GH covering is really making a nice difference!

It really does make a difference, since those last pics were taken, I took off the covers on both grow boxes(GB) and I put the bigger one on the GB that is close to the Fence over the one that did not have a cover before. It doesn't fit but I was curious if it could make a difference, I'll leave it on for 10 days and see what it does.
Here is a couple pics of my cukes.

[Image: biggestcuke.jpg]

[Image: morecukes.jpg]
(06-14-2023, 12:17 AM)wiperhunter2 Wrote: Here is a couple pics of my cukes.

[Image: biggestcuke.jpg]

[Image: morecukes.jpg]

I see your garden is doing well this year as well.
(06-14-2023, 01:05 AM)obifishkenobi Wrote:

Not as good as yours but it's getting there. The only reason why mine is doing this good is because of the mini green house I built over my grow boxes.
(06-14-2023, 02:18 AM)wiperhunter2 Wrote:

Not as good as yours but it's getting there. The only reason why mine is doing this good is because of the mini green house I built over my grow boxes.

Yours is much bigger than mine I’m sure you will have a great harvest. How is your sons doing up in Idaho?
(06-14-2023, 10:37 PM)obifishkenobi Wrote:
(06-14-2023, 02:18 AM)wiperhunter2 Wrote:

Yours is much bigger than mine I’m sure you will have a great harvest. How is your sons doing up in Idaho?

Son is doing good, they are always busy though. Here are the latest pics from my garden.

box #1
[Image: grow-box-1.jpg]

box #3
[Image: grow-box-3.jpg]

box #2

[Image: grow-box-2.jpg]
Wow Curt yours looks wonderful, my cucumbers are just coming up and yours are producing, that's a big difference congrats and nice job...But I'm kind of glad I'm not harvesting already even though I'm missing sale weeks, but I've still got so many other things on my plate I don't have time to go to market each Saturday yet... I'll bet that fresh produce is really good this time of year... Later Jeff
When things get stressful think I'll go fish'en and worry about it tomorrow!
(06-15-2023, 05:14 PM)SkunkedAgain Wrote: Wow Curt yours looks wonderful, my cucumbers are just coming up and yours are producing, that's a big difference congrats and nice job...But I'm kind of glad I'm not harvesting already even though I'm missing sale weeks, but I've still got so many other things on my plate I don't have time to go to market each Saturday yet... I'll bet that fresh produce is really good this time of year... Later Jeff
Thanks Jeff, having the Hoop Green house that I started last year makes a huge difference, that is why I was asking about your GH. Besides, the Winter up there was longer than ours down here. No fresh produce just yet but it won't be long. We just ran out of our blanched squash from last years garden, so we are having to buy ours at the store now. 
If you haven't seen it already you should check out jjannie's thread on Hydroponic gardening, really cool way to keep gardening year round:
https://bigfishtackle.com/forum/showthre...id=1102835
Picked our third cucumber this week and finally starting to see some Yellow squash and zucchini growing.

[Image: another-zucchini.jpg]

[Image: 1st-yellow-squash-of-2023.jpg]

[Image: 1st-zucchini-of-2023.jpg]

After removing the hoop GH cover on box #2, I put it on GB #1 to see if it would help it grow faster and to my amazement it really helped in the three weeks it was over it. Because it was not built for the GB, it did not fit properly but it covered it enough to make the difference.

[Image: yellow-squash-after-covering.jpg]