Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Willard 5-9
After too long without a rod in my hand made back out to Willard with Super Dave and Wiperslayer. We headed down south and dropped in with bottom bouncers, not fast action but enough bites to keep us close to the area we started at, picked up 6 eyes (1 released) and had more then that on pick up and drops or a couple good tugs before leaving. About 2:30 we headed over to Freeway bay and picked up our last eye on a crank bait. Best color for the bottom bouncers was a firetiger. Water temp was 55 when we launched at 9 and 59 when we left at 4

[Image: IMG-0794.jpg]
How is the water clarity? So many of the upper reservoirs are chocolate like right now. Hoping ol willy is not as bad
Remember: keep the lid on the worms, share your jerky, and stop by to say hi to Cookie and the Cowboy-Pirate crew
Nice to see you guys get out and get a few eyes. What color of crankbait did they hit on? I was there yesterday. 
I got one wiper on shad pattern crankbait thanks Bill
(05-10-2023, 12:05 AM)Cowboypirate Wrote: How is the water clarity? So many of the upper reservoirs are chocolate like right now. Hoping ol willy is not as bad

It was good, talked to guy at the north marina cleaning station that got a couple nice wipers with mussels off the shiore

(05-10-2023, 12:11 AM)oldguy Wrote: Nice to see you guys get out and get a few eyes. What color of crankbait did they hit on? I was there yesterday. 

It was on a #5 flicker shad MF Bluegill
(05-10-2023, 12:27 AM)2knots Wrote:
(05-10-2023, 12:05 AM)Cowboypirate Wrote: How is the water clarity? So many of the upper reservoirs are chocolate like right now. Hoping ol willy is not as bad

It was good, talked to guy at the north marina cleaning station that got a couple nice wipers with mussels off the shiore

(05-10-2023, 12:11 AM)oldguy Wrote: Nice to see you guys get out and get a few eyes. What color of crankbait did they hit on? I was there yesterday. 

It was on a #5 flicker shad MF Bluegill

Thanks I will try again on Thursday or Friday
Nice going guys, I took a drive out to the south marina today seeing the chocolate wash into the Bay. Then drove over to the north marina, water clarity wasn't too bad. Quite a few vehicles at both ends and boats on the water. Walked the dog around enjoying the scenery. 
[Image: P3100003.jpg]
Harrisville UT
2000 7.3L F250 Superduty  '07 Columbia 2018 Fisherman XL Raymarine Element 9HV 4 Electric Walker Downriggers Uniden Solara VHF
(05-09-2023, 11:46 PM)2knots Wrote: After too long without a rod in my hand made back out to Willard with Super Dave and Wiperslayer. We headed down south and dropped in with bottom bouncers, not fast action but enough bites to keep us close to the area we started at, picked up 6 eyes (1 released) and had more then that on pick up and drops or a couple good tugs before leaving. About 2:30 we headed over to Freeway bay and picked up our last eye on a crank bait. Best color for the bottom bouncers was a firetiger. Water temp was 55 when we launched at 9 and 59 when we left at 4

Great report Alan, sounds like the catching is finally turning on with the water temp starting off at 55. When it starts off at 60 degree the catching should really improve. Were there lots of people out there today?
Any problems with that cleaning station clogging up?
(05-10-2023, 01:11 AM)wiperhunter2 Wrote:
(05-09-2023, 11:46 PM)2knots Wrote: After too long without a rod in my hand made back out to Willard with Super Dave and Wiperslayer. We headed down south and dropped in with bottom bouncers, not fast action but enough bites to keep us close to the area we started at, picked up 6 eyes (1 released) and had more then that on pick up and drops or a couple good tugs before leaving. About 2:30 we headed over to Freeway bay and picked up our last eye on a crank bait. Best color for the bottom bouncers was a firetiger. Water temp was 55 when we launched at 9 and 59 when we left at 4

Great report Alan, sounds like the catching is finally turning on with the water temp starting off at 55. When it starts off at 60 degree the catching should really improve. Were there lots of people out there today?

There was probably 15 rigs in the lot when we arrived at the north marina, looked like most went to Freeway after the KSL airing on Saturday night
(05-10-2023, 01:17 AM)2knots Wrote:

There was probably 15 rigs in the lot when we arrived at the north marina, looked like most went to Freeway after the KSL airing on Saturday night
I'm sure that had a lot to do with it. Did the cleaning station work OK for you?
(05-10-2023, 01:31 AM)wiperhunter2 Wrote:

I'm sure that had a lot to do with it. Did the cleaning station work OK for you?
Lol funny you should ask about it, somebody had filleted a bunch of wiper and apparently threw them down the chute before starting it, as they looked fresh we turned everything off and pulled the carcasses out and it started right up and ground up the ones left and ours. So yes it was working fine when we left
(05-10-2023, 01:42 AM)2knots Wrote:
(05-10-2023, 01:31 AM)wiperhunter2 Wrote:

Lol funny you should ask about it, somebody had filleted a bunch of wiper and apparently threw them down the chute before starting it, as they looked fresh we turned everything off and pulled the carcasses out and it started right up and ground up the ones left and ours. So yes it was working fine when we left
It's amazing how often that happens at the North marina, glad you were able to get it working.

I went out for a couple hours this afternoon and picked up a couple in freeway bay on bottom bouncers.
[Image: IMG-0986.jpg]
(05-10-2023, 03:32 AM)obifishkenobi Wrote:

I went out for a couple hours this afternoon and picked up a couple in freeway bay on bottom bouncers.
[Image: IMG-0986.jpg]

Well done, must of just missed you out there
We picked up a mixed bag between noon and 2:00. 1 wiper, 2 walleye and a toad crappie. All trolling cranks at 2mph. Cooked up fillets from all three species last night. Wiper and walleye was excellent as usual, but the crappie was kind of soft/mushy...
[Image: 20230509-141917.jpg]
I'm hoping to finally get out there either Thursday or Friday.  My boat has not been wet yet this year.  Weather/temps looking good for both days except maybe the wind.  Hoping it stays below 10.

As to cleaning fish, I started doing that choir out on the lake.  After all the lines have been pulled and tackle stowed, I get out the cutting board and cordless Bubba and carve away.  No more hoping the fish cleaning station is open and operational.  The seagulls love the scraps as do the bottom feeders.   Big Grin
Bob Hicks, from Utah
I'm 81 years young and going as hard as I can for as long as I can.
"Free men do not ask permission to bear arms."
Great news and good report, thanks Alan and all those that contributed... J
When things get stressful think I'll go fish'en and worry about it tomorrow!
Good to see they are starting to bite. Thanks Alan and the rest for the report. I can't wait to get back out there with you. Those Otter side planners of yours are so fun to fish.
(05-10-2023, 02:26 PM)dubob Wrote: I'm hoping to finally get out there either Thursday or Friday.  My boat has not been wet yet this year.  Weather/temps looking good for both days except maybe the wind.  Hoping it stays below 10.

As to cleaning fish, I started doing that choir out on the lake.  After all the lines have been pulled and tackle stowed, I get out the cutting board and cordless Bubba and carve away.  No more hoping the fish cleaning station is open and operational.  The seagulls love the scraps as do the bottom feeders.   Big Grin

May see you out there Bob I'm Moving camp to the North Marina campground tomorrow until Tuesday, Will be there with family and friends thru the weekend, hoping the weather will cooperate. Cool
(05-10-2023, 07:44 PM)PACKFAN Wrote:
(05-10-2023, 02:26 PM)dubob Wrote: I'm hoping to finally get out there either Thursday or Friday.  My boat has not been wet yet this year.  Weather/temps looking good for both days except maybe the wind.  Hoping it stays below 10.

May see you out there Bob I'm Moving camp to the North Marina campground tomorrow until Tuesday, Will be there with family and friends thru the weekend, hoping the weather will cooperate. Cool

I will be out there tomorrow also Pete hope the wind stays down alittle.
Big Grin 
That's a good day. Good to see the bite improving. Good report.