Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Soldier creek
Launched a little late when we discovered the soldier creek road wasn’t plowed. Made it to aspen grove and launched by 635. Beautiful day on the water. Fished till noon and took 9 home and threw back at least that many. Had to move to find bigger fish. Road to aspen grove is passable. But 1 lane at many points. Strawberry side is shore ice off with lots of open water and should able to launch by mid week.
Were you catching trout or kokanee?
Awesome looks like it  won't be long now.Thanks for the report.
(05-15-2023, 10:43 PM)FishfulThinkin Wrote: Were you catching trout or kokanee?

That's my question as well.
(05-15-2023, 10:00 PM)Redrebel Wrote: Launched a little late when we discovered the soldier creek road wasn’t plowed. Made it to aspen grove and launched by 635. Beautiful day on the water. Fished till noon and took 9 home and threw back at least that many. Had to move to find bigger fish. Road to aspen grove is passable. But 1 lane at many points. Strawberry side is shore ice off with lots of open water and should able to launch by mid week.

Thanks for the report and update on conditions there, was there any ice between Aspen grove and the Soldier creek boat launch?
Catching trout and no ice that I saw between sc and aspen grove
(05-16-2023, 12:43 AM)Redrebel Wrote: Catching trout and no ice that I saw between sc and aspen grove

Thanks, I heard there was one other members up there, he got one koke but I believe he launched from SC.
There were a couple of us there. All launched from Aspen marina. You can't get to the main SC marina yet. We finally got 3 kokanee. I saw 4 boats, a black one, a red one and two white ones.
(05-16-2023, 12:43 AM)Redrebel Wrote: Catching trout and no ice that I saw between sc and aspen grove

did you say you took 9 cutthroat trout home?
[Image: Image1.jpg]
9 bows. Even if I caught a slot buster all cuts go back to help the fishery.
(05-16-2023, 01:27 AM)Redrebel Wrote: 9 bows. Even if I caught a slot buster all cuts go back to help the fishery.

That fishery is more than flush with cutts. It would be nice to see fewer, with more size to them.

While I think the Kokanee quality is similar between the Gorge and Strawberry, I much prefer the Gorge because I can actually keep my gear in the water without all of the cutts. They've become a nuisance.
(05-16-2023, 07:58 PM)BYUHunter Wrote:
(05-16-2023, 01:27 AM)Redrebel Wrote: 9 bows. Even if I caught a slot buster all cuts go back to help the fishery.

That fishery is more than flush with cutts. It would be nice to see fewer, with more size to them.

While I think the Kokanee quality is similar between the Gorge and Strawberry, I much prefer the Gorge because I can actually keep my gear in the water without all of the cutts. They've become a nuisance.

I bet they love eating the kokes.
(05-16-2023, 12:58 AM)brookie Wrote: There were a couple of us there.  All launched from Aspen marina. You can't get to the main SC marina yet. We finally got 3 kokanee. I saw 4 boats, a black one, a red one and two white ones.
Went back today. Still launched from Aspen marina. Ended with 1 koke in the boat and 1 lost at the boat. Still kind of slow. Good thing however, we saw a grader and trucks at the SC main marina about 1000. Stopped by and talked to some fishermen, they cut the road open today. They were putting docks in as we spoke. Also noted, there was ice on the Strawberry side on the way in. It appeared to be "ice free" as we drove back past on the way home.
Are you seeing any sonar blips? Maybe they don't like the dirty water. Maybe they are very deep or very shallow and you can't see them. I'm sure they don't
like the dark water.
I haven’t seen any big schools of fish but yes there are fish there, just kind of scattered. I figure most are pretty near the surface. The water clarity is actually not too bad on Soldier Creek. Yes some debris on the surface and some annoying moss but definitely better than what we found on Jordanelle. I think temperature may be a factor, started at 36 warming to 40. Ice has only been off since Saturday.
When fish are up close to surface you can't see then on sonar. The boat will make them scatter.
A couple of us went up there Wednesday we launched from the SC marina fished from 730 till 200 only caught a couple trout. The road had 4 big drifts ,but the marina crew had cut through them with 1 lane on Tuesday.
Fished SC yesterday from about 6-11. Caught 5 cuts. No Kokanee. Fishing was tougher than I expected. Lots of debris in the water as well.
Went out to SC Sunday. Fished from about 8:30-1. 1 koke, 3 cutts, 4 bows. Experimented with different scents, but pink maggots, and bloody garlic tuna corn caught the majority. Koke came on Watermelon mini hoochie w/ pink maggot.
(05-24-2023, 01:02 AM)danell Wrote: Went out to SC Sunday. Fished from about 8:30-1. 1 koke, 3 cutts, 4 bows. Experimented with different scents, but pink maggots, and bloody garlic tuna corn caught the majority. Koke came on Watermelon mini hoochie w/ pink maggot.

Sounds like some tough condition at SS this year, I wonder what the deal is there this year. Thanks for the report. Any size to the koke you caught?