Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
RIRIE? IS IT WORTH THE CHANCE?
So, its been a couple of years now since I've been able to get on the water due to my health, but, I'm gonna try it this year and see what I have been wanting to do but havent. The last thing I did was to repair the floor in my boat as I had a couple of places the original floor was rotting out. (It's a 73 Reinell) But, I follow pretty closely whats been going on on Ririe the last couple of years as it relates to boats being sunk by wake boarders and wake rules not being followed and these have made me a little hesitant to try getting on the water. I dont mind going really early to beat the crowd, but, not being able to really move my legs and swim if I had to, really make me hesitant to go out.
So, the question is, what's the thoughts about hitting the water, and I know to get off before 11:00 anyhow at the latest. I am hungering for a few kokes in the basket to enjoy some good eating. With this said, I havent seen many if any at all as to what's happening with the catch rate on kokes this year and how folks are doing. I dont have any hesitation to get out if the catch is up this year, and knowing that it's a pretty good chance at putting a few in the basket.

I'm just looking for a few thoughts on safely being able to get on Ririe this year and knowing when to get off the water. I fully understand some of those issues, but, I'd like some thoughts on whether or not it's worth the trip or not. Any thoughts are appreciated and as many say, I'm not looking for your spots on the water, I've fished Ririe a lot in the past and know where to go, just trying to think if it's worth the effort or not. Thanks everyone for comments in advance. Fire away pro and con.
It's always worth a try, worst case you get skunked and I'm not sure that'd be the first time and lots of trout to catch in there.
(05-23-2023, 06:02 PM)meancuznalfy Wrote: It's always worth a try, worst case you get skunked and I'm not sure that'd be the first time and lots of trout to catch in there.

Who me skunked, LOL never, LOL. You must know what my luck has been lately. Just had to give ya a bad time. I guess it's better than sitting home for another season Smile
Lol, yes it is.
We gave it a shot Saturday morning... going early to get off the water before all of the "other" boats got there. Fished until 10:00 and then got off, which is when a few of them started showing up. Tried various spots from up Willow Creek to just South of the Juniper launch. Tried a little bit of everything and ended up catching 5 rainbows and 2 smallies. Water temps in the mid 50's and got muddier with more debris the further away from the dam we got.
(05-24-2023, 10:59 PM)psanders71 Wrote: We gave it a shot Saturday morning... going early to get off the water before all of the "other" boats got there.  Fished until 10:00 and then got off, which is when a few of them started showing up.  Tried various spots from up Willow Creek to just South of the Juniper launch.  Tried a little bit of everything and ended up catching 5 rainbows and 2 smallies.  Water temps in the mid 50's and got muddier with more debris the further away from the dam we got.
Thanks for the report, I guess it being so early in the season and so much run off coming into the lake, it might be a few more weeks before  things clear up, hopefully Undecided
(05-23-2023, 01:48 PM)duksnfish Wrote: So, its been a couple of years now since I've been able to get on the water due to my health, but, I'm gonna try it this year and see what I have been wanting to do but havent. The last thing I did was to repair the floor in my boat as I had a couple of places the original floor was rotting out. (It's a 73 Reinell) But, I follow pretty closely whats been going on on Ririe the last couple of years as it relates to boats being sunk by wake boarders and wake rules not being followed and these have made me a little hesitant to try getting on the water. I dont mind going really early to beat the crowd, but, not being able to really move my legs and swim if I had to, really make me hesitant to go out.
So, the question is, what's the thoughts about hitting the water, and I know to get off before 11:00 anyhow at the latest. I am hungering for a few kokes in the basket to enjoy some good eating. With this said, I havent seen many if any at all as to what's happening with the catch rate on kokes this year and how folks are doing. I dont have any hesitation to get out if the catch is up this year, and knowing that it's a pretty good chance at putting a few in the basket.

I'm just looking for a few thoughts on safely being able to get on Ririe this year and knowing when to get off the water. I fully understand some of those issues, but, I'd like some thoughts on whether or not it's worth the trip or not. Any thoughts are appreciated and as many say, I'm not looking for your spots on the water, I've fished Ririe a lot in the past and know where to go, just trying to think if it's worth the effort or not. Thanks everyone for comments in advance. Fire away pro and con.
Just saw this post, I’m going to give Ririe a go this weekend and I will post what I find but it seems like the Kokes are in a down cycle right now last year was the toughest year for me, most trips before last year I could easily limit out every one 3-4 people in the boat but I really had to work to get one limit a day last year and they have not shown up the last couple ice seasons. I hope I find them.
I'm guessing after this week it'll be pretty dirty with lots of debris in it.
(05-23-2023, 01:48 PM)duksnfish Wrote: So, its been a couple of years now since I've been able to get on the water due to my health, but, I'm gonna try it this year and see what I have been wanting to do but havent. The last thing I did was to repair the floor in my boat as I had a couple of places the original floor was rotting out. (It's a 73 Reinell) But, I follow pretty closely whats been going on on Ririe the last couple of years as it relates to boats being sunk by wake boarders and wake rules not being followed and these have made me a little hesitant to try getting on the water. I dont mind going really early to beat the crowd, but, not being able to really move my legs and swim if I had to, really make me hesitant to go out.

We were out a couple weeks ago and end up with five or six trout 16- 18 inches I’m trolling kokenee Gear. Thought we may have had one Kokanee on but lost it a long way out. Talked to somebody who said they caughtt one. more on the Juniper side.
Hmmm, that's interesting, are they on the decline, seems to be this year from what I've read.
I gave it a go Thursday afternoon and only caught rainbows on my Kokanee gear. I fished my best spots on the Juniper end from the surface to as deep as 50’ . It would be interesting to see what the biologists with Fish and Game have to say and see the results of any fish netting surveys. I hope the Kokanee fishing turns around Ririe is the place that made me feel like I was a pretty good regularly putting 50+ in the boat most days.
(05-26-2023, 10:44 PM)obifishkenobi Wrote: I gave it a go Thursday afternoon and only caught rainbows on my Kokanee gear. I fished my best spots on the Juniper end from the surface to as deep as 50’ . It would be interesting to see what the biologists with Fish and Game have to say and see the results of any fish netting surveys. I hope the Kokanee fishing turns around Ririe is the place that made me feel like I was a pretty good regularly putting 50+ in the boat most days.

Well that's too bad, hopefully that isn't a sign of what's to come this year. How was the water, still stained or dirty?
(05-28-2023, 03:09 AM)wiperhunter2 Wrote:
(05-26-2023, 10:44 PM)obifishkenobi Wrote: I gave it a go Thursday afternoon and only caught rainbows on my Kokanee gear. I fished my best spots on the Juniper end from the surface to as deep as 50’ . It would be interesting to see what the biologists with Fish and Game have to say and see the results of any fish netting surveys. I hope the Kokanee fishing turns around Ririe is the place that made me feel like I was a pretty good regularly putting 50+ in the boat most days.

Well that's too bad, hopefully that isn't a sign of what's to come this year. How was the water, still stained or dirty?
The water wasn’t dirty on the Juniper end I’m sure it was a different story on Blacktail.
Made it out Thursday evening for a few hours. Started off down by Blacktail hoping to get into some perch or bass... caught a few stocker rainbows. Moved up by power lines and closer to the dam to try trolling for kokanee... caught a few stocker rainbows. Water level is way up but did not see too much floating debris. Much clearer water on the Juniper side as well. Not feeling too warm and fuzzy about the fishing at Ririe this year.
(06-17-2023, 04:01 PM)psanders71 Wrote: Made it out Thursday evening for a few hours.  Started off down by Blacktail hoping to get into some perch or bass... caught a few stocker rainbows.  Moved up by power lines and closer to the dam to try trolling for kokanee... caught a few stocker rainbows.  Water level is way up but did not see too much floating debris.  Much clearer water on the Juniper side as well.  Not feeling too warm and fuzzy about the fishing at Ririe this year.

Thanks for the report and info about water conditions there, too bad the koke catching is so poor there this year hopefully things improve but it isn't sounding good. Were there a lots of people there?
That's not good, looking like the kokes are on a decline this year.
(06-17-2023, 05:22 PM)wiperhunter2 Wrote:
(06-17-2023, 04:01 PM)psanders71 Wrote: Made it out Thursday evening for a few hours.  Started off down by Blacktail hoping to get into some perch or bass... caught a few stocker rainbows.  Moved up by power lines and closer to the dam to try trolling for kokanee... caught a few stocker rainbows.  Water level is way up but did not see too much floating debris.  Much clearer water on the Juniper side as well.  Not feeling too warm and fuzzy about the fishing at Ririe this year.

Thanks for the report and info about water conditions there, too bad the koke catching is so poor there this year hopefully things improve but it isn't sounding good. Were there a lots of people there?

There were less than a dozen boats or so out there.  A few were wake boarding, etc. and the rest were fishing.  Chatted with another boat as we trolled past each other and they had caught a few trout as well.  No kokes or anything else... We marked fish all over the place, just could not get anything but the stocker rainbows to commit.
(06-18-2023, 04:22 AM)psanders71 Wrote:
(06-17-2023, 05:22 PM)wiperhunter2 Wrote:

There were less than a dozen boats or so out there.  A few were wake boarding, etc. and the rest were fishing.  Chatted with another boat as we trolled past each other and they had caught a few trout as well.  No kokes or anything else... We marked fish all over the place, just could not get anything but the stocker rainbows to commit.
That's a bummer and no luck on the bass or perch?
So I decided for my first time out in over 3 years due to health concerns, I went to Glendale to fish. I knew that the pressure there would not be as bad as what I have been hearing about Ririe for my first time out. Besides, it's a whole lot easier to launch than at Ririe. I have trouble walking due to my Pulmonary Fibrosis and chronic pain syndrome in my left knee/leg.

Fishing was so so there, but felt good to get out. It was interesting that when I was loading up to come back home, couple like me in my late 60's pulled in and started getting ready to launch. While I was talking to them, they had just fished Ririe the day before. That would have been on Wednesday. I asked how it was for them and if they did any good. I wasnt surprised by the answer. They said that no Kokes to be found, a couple trout and a couple bass but all of that was overlaid by the number of wake boarders, skiers, and non-fisher type boats that just didnt have common courtesy to give those fishing some room to just enjoy the time out.

The biggest thing, which everyone is talking about is NO KOKES. Wow folks, what's going on. That seems to be the history the last couple years. Yes, some who really are set up and know what they seem to know what to do are catching a kok here and there but not many limits as we have had in the past. I'd really like to hear from Fish and Game on here as to what is happening with their gill net surveys because a creel count on catch sure wouldnt show many koks from what I've been hearing. But, not many are reporting much of anything fishing wise on here any more. Why? I really dont know but it sure would be great for informational posts to come back just like the kok fishing.

So, in closing, yes, its a bit expensive to run down to the reservoirs in Franklin County, but, not as many crowds and seem to at least be able to catch a good number for the dinner table. As for my catch of the day, yep, I got a good catch to eat, and had one great time landing (and loosing) some really nice large mouth. Largest I boated was about 17" as the keep is nothing under 15". But, I always release my bass for the next one to enjoy. I ended up with 4 total, the one over 17" and the other 3 just under 15. I lost the biggest at the boat when I bent over to try and put it into the boat. I didnt use a net on this one but sure enjoyed the fight using 4lb test and light spin gear I use for pan fish Smile. The $20 bucks to launch for out of County folks stings a bit and having to drive to Franklin to get boat inspected then backtrack to fish takes time, but, to me, it's always been worth the trip.

So, thats my story and i'm sticking to it, LOL Smile

Enjoy and be safe out there.
Sounds like a great day.