Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
First Echo walleye!!
Well, I got a little free time yesterday and got out in the float tube on Echo. I launched at 6 pm, which is unusual to my liking, the water temp was 62. Water clarity was a bit stained and loaded with lots of debris. I fished from 16 ft of water to like 6ft.  I started pop-jigging a gulp minnow with no love. I saw another guy doing pretty good. I asked him what he was throwing, and he said a paddle tail swimbait. I didn't have any of those with me, so I put on a curly tail, the original swimbait. Slow rolling the curly tail, I caught my first Echo walleye. I also caught a couple of smallmouth bass and one small rainbow. The other guy was catching nicer ones than the one I caught. Mine was a 15 incher, but he had a few 20 inchers. Maybe the thump produced by the paddle tail was enticing to the bigger walleye. Nice to get out and catch a few fish.
Gabe
(06-01-2023, 02:41 PM)Freakyfisherman Wrote: Well, I got a little free time yesterday and got out in the float tube on Echo. I launched at 6 pm, which is unusual to my liking, the water temp was 62. Water clarity was a bit stained and loaded with lots of debris. I fished from 16 ft of water to like 6ft.  I started pop-jigging a gulp minnow with no love. I saw another guy doing pretty good. I asked him what he was throwing, and he said a paddle tail swimbait. I didn't have any of those with me, so I put on a curly tail, the original swimbait. Slow rolling the curly tail, I caught my first Echo walleye. I also caught a couple of smallmouth bass and one small rainbow. The other guy was catching nicer ones than the one I caught. Mine was a 15 incher, but he had a few 20 inchers. Maybe the thump produced by the paddle tail was enticing to the bigger walleye. Nice to get out and catch a few fish.
Gabe

Thanks for the report Gabe. Good to hear Echo is producing some nice eyes. The guy you seen out there is was likely another BFT member that doesn't post much but watches BFT. Was he in a kayak or a boat?
(06-01-2023, 04:34 PM)wiperhunter2 Wrote:
(06-01-2023, 02:41 PM)Freakyfisherman Wrote: Well, I got a little free time yesterday and got out in the float tube on Echo. I launched at 6 pm, which is unusual to my liking, the water temp was 62. Water clarity was a bit stained and loaded with lots of debris. I fished from 16 ft of water to like 6ft.  I started pop-jigging a gulp minnow with no love. I saw another guy doing pretty good. I asked him what he was throwing, and he said a paddle tail swimbait. I didn't have any of those with me, so I put on a curly tail, the original swimbait. Slow rolling the curly tail, I caught my first Echo walleye. I also caught a couple of smallmouth bass and one small rainbow. The other guy was catching nicer ones than the one I caught. Mine was a 15 incher, but he had a few 20 inchers. Maybe the thump produced by the paddle tail was enticing to the bigger walleye. Nice to get out and catch a few fish.
Gabe

Thanks for the report Gabe. Good to hear Echo is producing some nice eyes. The guy you seen out there is was likely another BFT member that doesn't post much but watches BFT. Was he in a kayak or a boat?
Neither. He was on a pontoon. He said he lived in Evanston. 
Gabe
(06-01-2023, 04:36 PM)Freakyfisherman Wrote:
Gabe

Neither. He was on a pontoon. He said he lived in Evanston. 
Gabe
OK, guess it wasn't him but I heard he had been fishing up there and doing well. Since the DWR started stocking sterile eyes in there a number of years ago, their numbers and size are really growing I guess.
(06-01-2023, 04:36 PM)Freakyfisherman Wrote:
Gabe

Thanks for the report Gabe. Good to hear Echo is producing some nice eyes. The guy you seen out there is was likely another BFT member that doesn't post much but watches BFT. Was he in a kayak.
This is excellent news, thank you.