Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
Decent Day at Willard
Grinded out 17 with Randy and Scott between 6:30-1:00 today. cranks on plainer boards out fished the bouncers today, #7 Flicker Shad  in fire tiger  and blue perch was most productive for me, Scott got a couple perch on a Mepps Spinner tipped with perch meat behind a bouncers, we also  got several on worm Harnesses. Beautiful weather wish there was a little more wind. All singles today, no doubles, covered a ton of water at 2.5 mph. We dragged a few of them for a while without knowing they where on. Count today 8 perch 1 cat and 8 Walleye.
[Image: IMG-1115.jpg]

[Image: IMG-1117.jpg]

[Image: IMG-1118.jpg]
You did better than we did, Shawn. We got on the water a bit before 10:00, boated our first perch a few minutes later. We caught one more perch and a couple of small walleye, all of which we released. Had one big wiper on for just a minute and caught one nice one. Slower than yesterday, I'm thinking things are going to get better. Best lure was an SR7 in chartreuse, although the perch gulped a Wally Diver in perch 14' down. Ambitious!
Single main, no kicker. Wink
That was fun. We got them slow and steady today. Not a double hookup all day. I got four on a # 7 jointted flicker that is green firefighter in front and orange tiger on back.
Thanks for that report Shawn, seems Willard is getting into a steady pattern now and the eyes I'm filleting still have fat deposits in them. It really is amazing the number of perch that are being caught this year, just gives you an idea of the numbers of big perch in Willard right now but overall the size of the eyes are smaller.
The perch have been very nice size this year at the bay. I thought I was picking up shad schools on sonar today, I may switch over to DC for my walleye fix.

Had a blast hammering the eyes and perch today!
(06-11-2023, 11:04 PM)PAC12_AfterDark Wrote: The perch have been very nice size this year at the bay. I thought I was picking up shad schools on sonar today, I may switch over to DC for my walleye fix.

I thought I saw some shad balls on my graph Friday. I think the annual walleye wiper trolling bite has peeked and the easy bite will be over in a week or two and we will be back to strolling for cats with fligs as the most productive technique.
Kudos on a nice catch.  On the same day, I caught 5 small mouths along the dikes in 2.5 hours.  All fish were about a pound. Willard-Bay junkie
(06-11-2023, 11:31 PM)willard-bay junkie Wrote: Kudos on a nice catch.  On the same day, I caught 5 small mouths along the dikes in 2.5 hours.  All fish were about a pound. Willard-Bay junkie
Thanks for the report. Were you only targeting bass along the shore? Won't be long before those cats are there in big numbers as they do their spawn. Not many of those big SM bass in Willard but a few weeks ago a guy caught a nice 4 lber there.
(06-11-2023, 11:04 PM)PAC12_AfterDark Wrote: The perch have been very nice size this year at the bay. I thought I was picking up shad schools on sonar today, I may switch over to DC for my walleye fix.

Thanks for the report, what colors were you having you most luck with?
(06-12-2023, 01:17 PM)wiperhunter2 Wrote:

Black and orange f4 flat fish and "wonder bread" jointed shad rap 7.

Both produced, no hits on green or pink which is rare

The black and orange flatfish also had red dots if that helps!
(06-12-2023, 08:03 PM)PAC12_AfterDark Wrote:
(06-12-2023, 01:17 PM)wiperhunter2 Wrote:

Black and orange f4 flat fish and "wonder bread" jointed shad rap 7.

Both produced, no hits on green or pink which is rare

The black and orange flatfish also had red dots if that helps!

Haven't tried flatfish in years but it makes sense because the lure I use the most has a similar action. Interesting colors, I guess it just goes to show that you just never know what will work. Thanks for the added info.
Any time - I also picked up a little tip that produced some monster perch that I will share here:

Take a f7 (smallest possible) flat fish, remove all hooks, run a 10-14" leader to a slow death hook and crawler and pull all that about 10 to 14" behind a bottom bouncer.

Doesnt pick up as many in numbers, but that set up get SLAMMED.
(06-12-2023, 08:55 PM)PAC12_AfterDark Wrote: Any time - I also picked up a little tip that produced some monster perch that I will share here:

Take a f7 (smallest possible) flat fish, remove all hooks, run a 10-14" leader to a slow death hook and crawler and pull all that about 10 to 14" behind a bottom bouncer.

LOL, that is exactly what I use but it's on a apex lure, hard to see the slow death hook but this is what I've had great luck on the last two years for both eyes and perch.

[Image: apex2.jpg]
Those are some big perch. Nice catch!
(06-12-2023, 09:15 PM)wiperhunter2 Wrote:
(06-12-2023, 08:55 PM)PAC12_AfterDark Wrote: Any time - I also picked up a little tip that produced some monster perch that I will share here:

LOL, that is exactly what I use but it's on a apex lure, hard to see the slow death hook but this is what I've had great luck on the last two years for both eyes and perch.

[Image: apex2.jpg]

You know what they say about great minds!!! I'm gonna give it a shot for kokanee too.
(06-14-2023, 12:29 AM)PAC12_AfterDark Wrote:
(06-12-2023, 09:15 PM)wiperhunter2 Wrote:

You know what they say about great minds!!! I'm gonna give it a shot for kokanee too.

You might need a brighter color for the kokes but I bet it would work, I've caught plenty of trout with them.
Everyone: How big are those perch you're catching? Thanks to all for sharing.
The older I get the more I would rather be considered a good man than a good fisherman.

(06-14-2023, 03:09 PM)catchinon Wrote: Everyone: How big are those perch you're catching? Thanks to all for sharing.

They are the biggest I've ever caught. 

[Image: 20230608-134733.jpg]
Thanks, Verdean. Can you tell me how many inches they were? Any hints on how to catch them? You could call me if you don't want to reveal too much here.
The older I get the more I would rather be considered a good man than a good fisherman.

(06-14-2023, 04:00 PM)catchinon Wrote: Thanks, Verdean. Can you tell me how many inches they were? Any hints on how to catch them? You could call me if you don't want to reveal too much here.

The pictures show the biggest was 13, small was 9.