Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Willard Mon. July 3
Recent back issues, some home gardening efforts, and lack of many good fishing reports, all contributed to not getting my boat out much this season...BUT...solunar charts (sometimes I look at them) said this day was on their 'good day' list..so a buddy and I decided for my third try at Willard...Wooncha know..turned out to be a very good fishing day for us..launched from No. marina about 0700, headed fast toward the Lite Pole area, first nice hit and catch 0730..up and down that general area between then and about 0930, we found 4 very nice walleye, 2 large cats,and 1 4lb football wiper..however, with my back issue, catching fish, up and down off chair, stooping to re-bait, etc, etc, the back issue got worse, so fishing done for me...I just drove the next hour and a half, and slowly heading back, going thru the 'Openness', my buddy reeled in 1 more nice walleye, 1 more wiper, and 1 more catfish...Bottom bouncer again worked best for me, but #5 flicker shad-perch color, also worked for walleye and catfish...crankbait tipped with nite crawler pcs, and of course nite crawler on bottom bouncer crawler harness, and always full, juicy nite crawler on the nite crawler harness, with big part of tail pinched off...head net a necessity...2 cats released, both wipers released, 1 walleye lost at boat..overall a very good fishing A.M. for us..Guluk out there...
Thanks for the report. I'm glad Willard is still producing a few.
Way to go Joe, braving the bugs with your back issues. Sounds like a great morning, other than your back causing you problems. Were there a lot of people out there? How fast were you trolling?
(07-04-2023, 10:36 PM)Jmorfish Wrote: Recent back issues, some home gardening efforts, and lack of many good fishing reports, all contributed to not getting my boat out much this season...BUT...solunar charts (sometimes I look at them) said this day was on their 'good day' list..so a buddy and I decided for my third try at Willard...Wooncha know..turned out to be a very good fishing day for us..launched from No. marina about 0700, headed fast toward the Lite Pole area, first nice hit and catch 0730..up and down that general area between then and about 0930, we found 4 very nice walleye, 2 large cats,and 1 4lb football wiper..however, with my back issue, catching fish, up and down off chair, stooping to re-bait, etc, etc, the back issue got worse, so fishing done for me...I just drove the next hour and a half, and slowly heading back, going thru the 'Openness', my buddy reeled in 1 more nice walleye, 1 more wiper, and 1 more catfish...Bottom bouncer again worked best for me, but #5 flicker shad-perch color, also worked for walleye and catfish...crankbait tipped with nite crawler pcs, and of course nite crawler on bottom bouncer crawler harness, and always full, juicy nite crawler on the nite crawler harness, with big part of tail pinched off...head net a necessity...2 cats released, both wipers released, 1 walleye lost at boat..overall a very good fishing A.M. for us..Guluk out there...
Thank you for a great report.
(07-04-2023, 10:36 PM)Jmorfish Wrote: Recent back issues, some home gardening efforts, and lack of many good fishing reports, all contributed to not getting my boat out much this season...BUT...solunar charts (sometimes I look at them) said this day was on their 'good day' list..so a buddy and I decided for my third try at Willard...Wooncha know..turned out to be a very good fishing day for us..launched from No. marina about 0700, headed fast toward the Lite Pole area, first nice hit and catch 0730..up and down that general area between then and about 0930, we found 4 very nice walleye, 2 large cats,and 1 4lb football wiper..however, with my back issue, catching fish, up and down off chair, stooping to re-bait, etc, etc, the back issue got worse, so fishing done for me...I just drove the next hour and a half, and slowly heading back, going thru the 'Openness', my buddy reeled in 1 more nice walleye, 1 more wiper, and 1 more catfish...Bottom bouncer again worked best for me, but #5 flicker shad-perch color, also worked for walleye and catfish...crankbait tipped with nite crawler pcs, and of course nite crawler on bottom bouncer crawler harness, and always full, juicy nite crawler on the nite crawler harness, with big part of tail pinched off...head net a necessity...2 cats released, both wipers released, 1 walleye lost at boat..overall a very good fishing A.M. for us..Guluk out there...
Glad you found them Joe, can I ask your speed.
Well done Joe
I varied my speed every once in awhile, between 1.2 and 1.8, with ave. 1.5 seeming to be best overall...most important for 2 oz bottom bouncer is to have about 110' setback...this will get your wire dragging the bottom...if you have a 3 oz bouncer, about a 55' setback would get you dragging to about 25', where you want to be at Willard, at least with your bottom bouncers...this is according to "Rednek Outfitters" trolling depth chart, found on internet...There were not too many other fishing boats, but of course the " Wreck-reational" water craft showed up to stir up what was otherwise pretty calm waters...the night before I did do the required AIS quagga test and printout for my truck dash, but nobody at the gate to see it when we got there...still not sure how I get the sticker..
Hey Joe, if you were licensed before July, you won't have to get the sticker until next year when you renew your boat license, if I understand correctly, you got off with a $10 fee this year and will pay your $20 next year... If you did just license your boat, they are supposed to require the number of your AIS fee where they will give you the stamp.... Per my understanding of the new system... Thanks for a report that sounded pretty fun to me... Later Jeff
When things get stressful think I'll go fish'en and worry about it tomorrow!
Jeff is correct and you did not need to take the AIS test again, because you took it earlier this year, correct?
(07-06-2023, 09:14 PM)wiperhunter2 Wrote: Jeff is correct and you did not need to take the AIS test again, because you took it earlier this year, correct?

Didn't do the AIS test earlier in the year, until just Sunday nite, cuz all DNR reports said the written test was now mandatory for all boaters, as of 1 July of this year...so all before this I'd just been using the standard daily self-reporting sheet...I guess a few years I did the written AIS and did the printout also, but I thought that was more awkward to carry around than the smaller self-reporting sheets...Now I guess I'll always be carrying the more awkward, bigger mandatory test sheet...
(07-07-2023, 03:05 AM)Jmorfish Wrote:
(07-06-2023, 09:14 PM)wiperhunter2 Wrote: Jeff is correct and you did not need to take the AIS test again, because you took it earlier this year, correct?

Didn't do the AIS test earlier in the year, until just Sunday nite, cuz all DNR reports said the written test was now mandatory for all boaters, as of 1 July of this year...so all before this I'd just been using the standard daily self-reporting sheet...I guess a few years I did the written AIS and did the printout also, but I thought that was more awkward to carry around than the smaller self-reporting sheets...Now I guess I'll always be carrying the more awkward, bigger mandatory test sheet...
The last few years I've been laminating my AIS certificate and it works out great, for me anyway, it's easier that filling one out every time I go.
(07-07-2023, 03:05 AM)Jmorfish Wrote: Didn't do the AIS test earlier in the year, until just Sunday nite, cuz all DNR reports said the written test was now mandatory for all boaters, as of 1 July of this year...so all before this I'd just been using the standard daily self-reporting sheet...I guess a few years I did the written AIS and did the printout also, but I thought that was more awkward to carry around than the smaller self-reporting sheets...Now I guess I'll always be carrying the more awkward, bigger mandatory test sheet...
For what it's worth (probably not much ?), I always take the test and print out 4 copies of the certificate: 1 copy each goes in the tow vehicles (I have 2), 1 copy goes in the boat, and 1 copy is kept as a backup at home.  The first three are signed and placed in clear laminate sheets for protection.  YMMV!
Bob Hicks, from Utah
I'm 81 years young and going as hard as I can for as long as I can.
"Free men do not ask permission to bear arms."
Really all we should have to do is have one sticker on our trailer and one on our boat.
Can be checked by land and by sea that way.
Having to print your ‘AIS Graduation Certificate’ is a dumb requirement, to get the sticker you have to pass the test.
Aren’t these types of laws given the sniff test before enactment?
Just like not being able to fillet Kokes at Strawberry, the law to put certificate on dashboard makes zero sense.
If I was in charge your boating lives would be much easier!
(07-04-2023, 11:02 PM)FishfulThinkin Wrote: Thanks for the report. I'm glad Willard is still producing a few.

Thank you..trying to report whenever I can, and usually even the 'bad' trips...

(07-05-2023, 12:28 AM)doitall5000 Wrote:
Thank you for a great report.
My pleasure, and I certainly hope to get in a few more good trips...

(07-05-2023, 01:23 AM)2knots Wrote: Well done Joe

Thank you...hope to see you out on the water..or ice..again.