Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Anyone Still Fishing
Good morning everyone. I'm just curious if anyone is still on the water fishing particularly on Ririe? Just trying to see what the status of Kokes is going into the winter. I know that the entire summer of 23 was/has been a bust for the most part on Kokes, but, has it picked up at all or does it look like it may make the ice fishing a little bumpy going into the winter ice. 

I sure hope that something has picked up. Even though I cant get out any more due to health, I am always in the hopes that someone might be getting into some nice mess of Kok and enjoy some great messes of fish for the table. With the winter temps starting to hit us hard, it will still be a while before ice is on and ready for anyone to walk on out on it to try and get some fish on the ice. But, with night time temps still staying down in the below freezing temps, it's really setting things up for an earlier than normal hard water season. 

Good luck everyone, I hope you all get something positive from Ririe this year.

Be safe an watch out for any signs of spookes lingering around Ririe Smile.
Here is an interesting article about the kokanee struggling in not only utah but the Western USA.
https://kslnewsradio.com/2050165/kokanee...g-in-utah/

Those that are reporting about fishing Ririe don't say the fishing will be that good this Winter but we can only hope it will be better than last Winter.
(10-30-2023, 12:55 PM)duksnfish Wrote: Good morning everyone. I'm just curious if anyone is still on the water fishing particularly on Ririe? Just trying to see what the status of Kokes is going into the winter. I know that the entire summer of 23 was/has been a bust for the most part on Kokes, but, has it picked up at all or does it look like it may make the ice fishing a little bumpy going into the winter ice. 

I sure hope that something has picked up. Even though I cant get out any more due to health, I am always in the hopes that someone might be getting into some nice mess of Kok and enjoy some great messes of fish for the table. With the winter temps starting to hit us hard, it will still be a while before ice is on and ready for anyone to walk on out on it to try and get some fish on the ice. But, with night time temps still staying down in the below freezing temps, it's really setting things up for an earlier than normal hard water season. 

Good luck everyone, I hope you all get something positive from Ririe this year.

Be safe an watch out for any signs of spookes lingering around Ririe Smile.
I have not been to Ririe since August, I don’t have much hope that Kokanee will be any better this winter than last. The only glimmer of hope is that in August I was marking large schools of fish on the Juniper end. I ran my gear through the schools with no takers, my guess is they where juveniles that we will be catching this year or next. The good thing about Ririe is even if the Kokes won’t cooperate there are plenty of Rainbows and Perch that will.
Fishing was good in Oregon this year.
[Image: HR-2023-10-17-002.jpg]
Nice King Don, how much do you think it weighed? Was Alan(2knots) there with you this year?
(11-14-2023, 09:17 PM)wiperhunter2 Wrote: Nice King Don, how much do you think it weighed? Was Alan(2knots) there with you this year?

That one was 30+ which is my largest out of the Columbia. Alan fished Gold Beach earlier in the year and I missed him by a day or 2, I believe. 
Gold Beach produces larger fish than the Columbia traditionally but it varies from year to year. I had 4 this year in the 30 lb range and this one at little over 40. Oregon and Washington produced a record number of fish for me in both Chinook and Coho. 
[Image: GB-2023-10-10-003.jpg]
(11-14-2023, 11:28 PM)MMDon Wrote:
(11-14-2023, 09:17 PM)wiperhunter2 Wrote: Nice King Don, how much do you think it weighed? Was Alan(2knots) there with you this year?

That one was 30+ which is my largest out of the Columbia. Alan fished Gold Beach earlier in the year and I missed him by a day or 2, I believe. 
Gold Beach produces larger fish than the Columbia traditionally but it varies from year to year. I had 4 this year in the 30 lb range and this one at little over 40. Oregon and Washington produced a record number of fish for me in both Chinook and Coho. 

Wow, you had a good year with the kings, 30 to 40 lbers are a great size, do you even fish for kokes any more?
(11-14-2023, 11:43 PM)wiperhunter2 Wrote:

Wow, you had a good year with the kings, 30 to 40 lbers are a great size, do you even fish for kokes any more?

I moved over to Boise some years back, just in time to see Anderson Ranch collapse. At that point I decided to put my efforts into chasing Salmon and Steelies throughout Oregon and Washington.
(11-14-2023, 11:54 PM)MMDon Wrote:

I moved over to Boise some years back, just in time to see Anderson Ranch collapse. At that point I decided to put my efforts into chasing Salmon and Steelies throughout Oregon and Washington.
For the size of the fish you are catching, it's probably not much more expensive than going after the kokes. What does the guide charge?
(11-15-2023, 12:13 AM)wiperhunter2 Wrote:

For the size of the fish you are catching, it's probably not much more expensive than going after the kokes. What does the guide charge?

Guides run $225.00 on the Columbia system and $250 to $275 a day on the Rogue system. It's 5.5 hours from Boise to be fishing in Hood River on the Columbia but 12 to 13 hours of seat time to get to the mouth of the Rogue.
(11-15-2023, 12:30 AM)MMDon Wrote:
(11-14-2023, 11:28 PM)MMDon Wrote: That one was 30+ which is my largest out of the Columbia. Alan fished Gold Beach earlier in the year and I missed him by a day or 2, I believe. 

Guides run $225.00 on the Columbia system and $250 to $275 a day on the Rogue system. It's 5.5 hours from Boise to be fishing in Hood River on the Columbia but 12 to 13 hours of seat time to get to the mouth of the Rogue.

I'm guessing that price is per day? Do you do better on the Hood river or the Rogue?
(11-15-2023, 12:52 AM)wiperhunter2 Wrote:
(11-14-2023, 11:43 PM)wiperhunter2 Wrote: Wow, you had a good year with the kings, 30 to 40 lbers are a great size, do you even fish for kokes any more?

I'm guessing that price is per day? Do you do better on the Hood river or the Rogue?

(11-15-2023, 12:56 AM)MMDon Wrote:
(11-15-2023, 12:52 AM)wiperhunter2 Wrote:
(11-14-2023, 11:54 PM)MMDon Wrote: I moved over to Boise some years back, just in time to see Anderson Ranch collapse. At that point I decided to put my efforts into chasing Salmon and Steelies throughout Oregon and Washington.

Per day. The Rogue is either on fire or no one is catching. The Columbia above the Bonneville is much more consistent and almost a guarantee for Coho.

The issue with river salmon is they move through the system fairly fast so the fish you have today are different than the ones you will catch tomorrow.
(11-15-2023, 12:56 AM)MMDon Wrote:

Per day. The Rogue is either on fire or no one is catching. The Columbia above the Bonneville is much more consistent and almost a guarantee for Coho.

The issue with river salmon is they move through the system fairly fast so the fish you have today are different than the ones you will catch tomorrow.

Sounds like the Columbia is the way to go, it cost less and it's closer, especially if the fish are just as big.
I would say the average fish on the Columbia is 10 lbs. smaller.
(11-15-2023, 03:27 AM)MMDon Wrote: I would say the average fish on the Columbia is 10 lbs. smaller.

Is the limit the same at both locations?
That changes with the weather or week by week. You have to play it my ear in both Oregon and Washington!
ICE, ANY ICE? Has Ririe started to produce any ice yet? With this cold turn down and predicted for the near future, just wondering if any ice has started to form and wonder what the outlook might be for a hard water Christmas. Hope everyone had a great turkey day and getting all of your Christmas shopping done. Smile It will be here before ya know it Sad
As cold and calm as it is, should be starting to form some ice.

My daughters wedding shortened the time I had planned for GB this year, so missed Don as he said by a few days. Next year we will fix that lol
(11-30-2023, 01:12 AM)2knots Wrote:

My daughters wedding shortened the time I had planned for GB this year, so missed Don as he said by a few days. Next year we will fix that lol
Looking forward to it Alan!