Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Willard Bay
Utah Division of Wildlife Resources

High water at Willard Bay Reservoir provided plenty of submerged shoreline and habitat for newly hatched and stocked fish to hide in this past spring and summer. We took advantage of the high water and placed more tiny walleye and wiper in the reservoir than we’ve ever stocked there before.
During a gillnet survey in October, we saw the decision to stock extra fish paid off. Plenty of places to hide and grow led to the highest number of juvenile walleye ever recorded at Willard Bay. If these juvenile walleye can make it through the winter, their survival is almost certain, and walleye fishing should be fantastic two to three years from now.

Here are some highlights from our October survey:

Walleye: In April, we stocked 2 million walleye fry into the reservoir. That’s 1 million more than we normally stock. Those tiny fish are now 8 to 11 inches long, and a record number of them turned up in our nets. Combined with fry produced by walleye that naturally spawn in the reservoir, the total number of catchable walleye in the reservoir could increase substantially in the future.

Wiper: Wiper are sterile, so all the wipers in the reservoir are stocked fish. We normally stock 250,000 wiper fry each year, but this year we increased the number to 1 million. When wipers are stocked, they’re so small you can barely see them. They’re already 4–5 inches long, and anglers are starting to catch them!

Channel catfish: Young channel catfish also showed up in our nets. As you can see in the photo, we caught some bigger cats too!

Smallmouth bass: Because of the sampling gear used, we rarely catch smallmouth bass during our fall survey. However, a seining survey we did along the shoreline in July turned up the highest number of juvenile smallmouth bass we’ve ever seen. If these tiny fish can survive their first winter, smallmouth bass fishing could see a big boost!

Yellow perch: Some chunky yellow perch turned up in our nets. Anglers have been catching 12-inch perch in decent numbers while trolling for walleye and wiper this year.

Crappie, bluegill and green sunfish: Like smallmouth bass, we usually don’t catch many crappie, bluegill or green sunfish during our fall survey. However, the same high water level that helped all the other fish species in the reservoir should have helped these fish have a good spawn, too.
(11-17-2023, 02:33 AM)lovetofish Wrote: Utah Division of Wildlife Resources

High water at Willard Bay Reservoir provided plenty of submerged shoreline and habitat for newly hatched and stocked fish to hide in this past spring and summer. We took advantage of the high water and placed more tiny walleye and wiper in the reservoir than we’ve ever stocked there before.
During a gillnet survey in October, we saw the decision to stock extra fish paid off. Plenty of places to hide and grow led to the highest number of juvenile walleye ever recorded at Willard Bay. If these juvenile walleye can make it through the winter, their survival is almost certain, and walleye fishing should be fantastic two to three years from now.

Here are some highlights from our October survey:

Walleye: In April, we stocked 2 million walleye fry into the reservoir. That’s 1 million more than we normally stock. Those tiny fish are now 8 to 11 inches long, and a record number of them turned up in our nets. Combined with fry produced by walleye that naturally spawn in the reservoir, the total number of catchable walleye in the reservoir could increase substantially in the future.

Wiper: Wiper are sterile, so all the wipers in the reservoir are stocked fish. We normally stock 250,000 wiper fry each year, but this year we increased the number to 1 million. When wipers are stocked, they’re so small you can barely see them. They’re already 4–5 inches long, and anglers are starting to catch them!

Channel catfish: Young channel catfish also showed up in our nets. As you can see in the photo, we caught some bigger cats too!

Smallmouth bass: Because of the sampling gear used, we rarely catch smallmouth bass during our fall survey. However, a seining survey we did along the shoreline in July turned up the highest number of juvenile smallmouth bass we’ve ever seen. If these tiny fish can survive their first winter, smallmouth bass fishing could see a big boost!

Yellow perch: Some chunky yellow perch turned up in our nets. Anglers have been catching 12-inch perch in decent numbers while trolling for walleye and wiper this year.

Crappie, bluegill and green sunfish: Like smallmouth bass, we usually don’t catch many crappie, bluegill or green sunfish during our fall survey. However, the same high water level that helped all the other fish species in the reservoir should have helped these fish have a good spawn, too.
Thanks for sharing this information.  It's really amazing this high water year can make that much of a difference.  Wouldn't it be great to raise the dike another 5 feet. Or add more rock reefs! Just hoping...
I won’t lie, I felt like crying while reading that report.
Well done DWR!!!
My only wish is that was at DC AND Willard.
That is encouraging.
(11-17-2023, 12:19 PM)RockyRaab2 Wrote: That is encouraging.
Indeed!
Bob Hicks, from Utah
I'm 81 years young and going as hard as I can for as long as I can.
"Free men do not ask permission to bear arms."
I just hope that some of us are still able to go fishing in two or three years.
(11-17-2023, 02:03 PM)RockyRaab2 Wrote: I just hope that some of us are still able to go fishing in two or three years.

Me too Rocky, knocking on wood. I'm 78 and feel pretty good but you never know what tomorrow may bring. I feel blessed.
(11-17-2023, 05:50 PM)lovetofish Wrote:
(11-17-2023, 02:03 PM)RockyRaab2 Wrote: I just hope that some of us are still able to go fishing in two or three years.

Me too Rocky, knocking on wood. I'm 78 and feel pretty good but you never know what tomorrow may bring. I feel blessed.
Both y'all are youngsters.    Wink 

You're right about not knowing.  I had no clue about my heart condition until, on a whim, I decided to get a stress test.  Turned up blockages of 50% to 100%.  Underwent a CABG X5 on Sep 28.  Still kicking and looking forward to the coming ice fishing season.   Big Grin
Bob Hicks, from Utah
(11-18-2023, 03:26 AM)dubob Wrote:
(11-17-2023, 05:50 PM)lovetofish Wrote:

Both y'all are youngsters.    Wink 

You're right about not knowing.  I had no clue about my heart condition until, on a whim, I decided to get a stress test.  Turned up blockages of 50% to 100%.  Underwent a CABG X5 on Sep 28.  Still kicking and looking forward to the coming ice fishing season.   Big Grin
Glad to hear about your recovery. I have stents from blockage of blood platelets,  you can't tell if your developing blockage without being tested. All you old guys should be tested.
It can change suddenly. It was one year ago tomorrow (19th) that my life changed with a ruptured disc. It was three months of tests and appointments before surgery and for that whole time, my right sciatic nerve was pinched. It may not ever fully recover. I can't walk well. Had to give up golf and have not been able to get the boat out much. Really hoping that next year will be better.

It's a booger when "dates" become doctor appointments! And all your doctors are half your age to boot.
Had a heart attack at age 42, 35 years ago, they performed angioplasty and been okay since. Last looksy new blood vessels had formed around damaged area from the heart attack. Looking forward to my next fishing trip.
(11-18-2023, 12:18 PM)RockyRaab2 Wrote: It can change suddenly. It was one year ago tomorrow (19th) that my life changed with a ruptured disc. It was three months of tests and appointments before surgery and for that whole time, my right sciatic nerve was pinched. It may not ever fully recover. I can't walk well. Had to give up golf and have not been able to get the boat out much. Really hoping that next year will be better.

It's a booger when "dates" become doctor appointments! And all your doctors are half your age to boot.

...or all of the names in your address book end in MD.

Even worse when you wanna visit some friends your own age...and have to go to the cemetery.
(11-18-2023, 06:19 PM)TubeDude Wrote: Even worse when you wanna visit some friends your own age...and have to go to the cemetery.
I represent that remark.  Big Grin
Bob Hicks, from Utah
TD!! Are you admitting that we are getting OLD!! I agree that ageing SUCKS!!
(11-19-2023, 12:32 AM)Therapist Wrote: TD!! Are you admitting that we are getting OLD!!  I agree that ageing SUCKS!!

Yep.  Getting old-ER.  But the alternative really sucks.  Hard to rig a casket with sonar and a motor.
And then they haul your ash to the lake.
(11-19-2023, 04:29 PM)TubeDude Wrote:
(11-19-2023, 12:32 AM)Therapist Wrote: TD!! Are you admitting that we are getting OLD!!  I agree that ageing SUCKS!!

Yep.  Getting old-ER.  But the alternative really sucks.  Hard to rig a casket with sonar and a motor.

[b]Pat, when that day comes I'm sure you'll have the best equipped casket in the cemetery... unless you get buried at sea, then I'm sure you'll have something figured out with rod holders on the side... Dark humor, but may not be too far off... Be interesting to see how the fishing is on the other side... Later Jeff[/b]

(11-20-2023, 09:01 PM)SkunkedAgain Wrote:
(11-19-2023, 04:29 PM)TubeDude Wrote:

[b]Pat, when that day comes I'm sure you'll have the best equipped casket in the cemetery... unless you get buried at sea, then I'm sure you'll have something figured out with rod holders on the side... Dark humor, but may not be too far off... Be interesting to see how the fishing is on the other side... Later Jeff[/b]

BTW great report on Willard, I hope that we see the wiper rebound along with everything else... May have to leave the farm for a couple days in the summer just to check it out... Later... J
When things get stressful think I'll go fish'en and worry about it tomorrow!