Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Rockport 3/9 - First Smallmouth Through the Ice
I hit Rockport on a solo ice fishing trip on Saturday 3/9/24. Edges were fine when I accessed about 8 am and when I got off after sundown. Pulling the sled uphill through the mud was a pain. There was about 2 inches of frozen slush over 5-6 inches of good ice. I stayed away from shoreline areas that had refrozen with clear ice. Lots of cracking and noise  during the day. 

My target was smallmouth bass, having never pulled one through the ice. I started in an area where I pulled out several SMBs in open water conditions last year. My target was to stay shallower than 30 feet of water and try to avoid my barotrauma with either perch or bass. I found plenty of perch in the 20-25 fow zone, and a little surprised they were hitting a size 4 slab rap. I switched to a 3/8 oz buckshot spoon in glo perch color, tipped with perch meat. Again, wasn’t targeting perch but caught 48 and kept 12 in the 8-10” size for tacos. Two biggest were 11.25 and 11.5”. I also caught one chunky rainbow on my jigging Jawjacker. 

I worked my down lake, hitting rocky ridges that I thought would be good SMB habitat. I eventually arrived at the dam. Finally, at about sundown, I pulled in my only SMB of the day, a chunky guy just over 13.5”. Final tally was 48 perch, 1 rainbow, and 1 SMB. 

Another highlight of the day was putting a father and son on some perch. They wandered by about noon and hadn’t had any luck. They eventually iced 37. They were gracious enough to thank me and made sure I got off the lake okay. 

Very good day on the ice!

[Image: 7904-DC32-B4-DC-449-D-95-D5-FB9-F331-EF54-D.jpg]

jack of all tackle, master of none
Thanks for the great report.  Way to get your first smallmouth through the ice.  

It's not easy to get them interested in anything this time of year. Smile
Way to go Bret sounds like a great day and way to get a smallie through the ice, I'd like to do that sometime... Later Jeff
When things get stressful think I'll go fish'en and worry about it tomorrow!
I’ve caught quite a few LargeMouth through the ice but never a Smallie.
Well done!
I also had never caught a smallmouth
Through the ice until this year Feb 12 first drop down with perch gear right on bottom in 50 feet of water! Biggest smallmouth I have ever caught at rockport, by quite a bit. It was over 18 inches plus. I’ve caught tons in open water up there, chase them up there a few trips every summer. On my Next trip up there a few days later my buddy who had never caught one through the ice, got one about 14 inches and 20 minutes later I hooked one but lost it right at the hole! I think I made 8 trips this year killed the perch . Landed the one big smallmouth and lost one. The only SMB I’ve ever caught through the ice. Caught many largemouth at different lakes through the ice.
[Image: IMG-5329.jpg]
time spent fishing isn't deducted from ones life
That's a nice thick smallie from Rockport! I have only caught two through the ice at Pinview fishing for perch, but they were less than 12". Still exciting when I saw that shade of green vs the perch green!