Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Strawberry reports
Wink 
Well it's time that I make my first trip to strawberry for ice fishing.  Wondering if anyone would share how the edges, ice in general/slush conditions are?  Any recommendations on depths to fish (both how deep of water and how far down to fish) would be appreciated.  My 3 yr old grandson is so excited to go for his first Strawberry trip!  I am a bit concerned if he things it is a fruit/treat!  Big Grin  I guess if I keep the small doughnuts present, he should be happy either way!

Thank you in advance!
(03-13-2024, 01:32 AM)icerman Wrote: Well it's time that I make my first trip to strawberry for ice fishing.  Wondering if anyone would share how the edges, ice in general/slush conditions are?  Any recommendations on depths to fish (both how deep of water and how far down to fish) would be appreciated.  My 3 yr old grandson is so excited to go for his first Strawberry trip!  I am a bit concerned if he things it is a fruit/treat!  Big Grin  I guess if I keep the small doughnuts present, he should be happy either way!

Thank you in advance!

I've had the chance to go a couple of times in the past 10 days or so.  Edges are fine.  The ice thickness is approaching "extension" level, and walking on the most recent visit was pretty good.  There is a hard crust snow layer and some frozen slush layers but I wasn't breaking through any of that with foot travel on Saturday.     As for the action, as experienced by both me and friends, it has ranged from slow to incredible, sometimes on the same outing and frequently location dependent.   Speaking in generalities, I'm not sure I have an obvious suggestion for you other than try something new if where you are or what you are doing isn't working.  

Good luck.
Was there Sunday. Ice conditions were great! All slush was froze, walking was easy. Edges were solid and like was said earlier, between frozen slush and ice it is THICK. I did the best in 19 ft of water, most fish coming through at 10 ft down or right on the bottom. Did the best with a 2 inch white tube jig with black flecks tipped with raw shrimp. Other random green jigs tipped with meal worms or wax worms were ok as well, best of those was attomic teaser. I would catch a few on something, then would change it up and get a few more. For me on Sunday, dead stick did nothing. I had to keep jigs moving to get hit. 

Good luck, let us know how it goes.
Thank you for the reports, I really appreciate it!  I am looking forward to catching something bigger than a perch (though I'd rather eat perch!).
Went to Strawberry for the first time this ice season.  Thank you for the reports that were posted.  I was surprised at the number of people ice fishing and snowmobiling there, I can't say I have seen this many this late in the season.  

I was able to do the 1 mile walk to my favorite spot.  Some others on snowmobiles beat me there, they were kind enough to let me fish near them.  I fished 14 FOW.  Caught 17 in the 3 hours I was there, 4 were really nice rainbows.  The catching slowed for me by 10:30, so decided to wrap it up at 11.  Weather was great initially....until the wind started kicking up, then the wind chill was cold!  Was really nice to get out, fish, catch several nice fish, and get home and still be able to get things done before the day ended.  Wish my son-in-law and 3 yr old grandson could have joined with me, but with the wind, I was glad they were not there!
Congrats, that sounds like a fun trip... Still trying to decide if I have one more ice trip left in me... It would be a lot of fun, but I'm in planting mode in the greenhouse so I'm running out of time fast for this year... Thanks for your report... J
When things get stressful think I'll go fish'en and worry about it tomorrow!