Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Good Day At Soldier Creek
[Image: IMG-2062.jpg]

Hit Soldier Creek this morning with a friend, we parked at the turn off to the dam around 6:30am and walked along the road in snow mobile tracks for about a mile then accessed the ice and started fishing after 7am in 37' of water. It was non stop action, we did not keep count but probably around 100 between the two of us when we left at 1pm. We each caught a slot buster, making it even more awesome it was a double. The joke today was that we where catching the same fish over and over, the vast majority of the fish caught today where 18"-20" Cutthroat.
 We only caught 6 rainbows, two of which where almost black in their spawning colors. I caught mine on my favorite white with red flake Maniac Gitzilla, my buddy caught them on that too, but he started playing, what can I catch them on, the answer was every thing he tried, tube jigs atomic teasers, spoons and various other stuff. I tipped my stuff with meal worm he used salad shrimp. We caught them all through the water column from the bottom up to 10' down.
Nice job Shawn...that's a good looking cutt..I hope to be trolling in S.C. in the not too distant future, 'fraid I just can't do the mile hike in to the ice like you guys did...so goodonya!
Good looking fish, and sounds like an awesome outing! Maybe I have one more ice fishing outing left in me?? I noticed that road not being plowed and thought, “it probably would be a good play to walk out the lake due to the limited access”. Guess you proved my theory correct.
(03-16-2024, 12:45 AM)obifishkenobi Wrote: [Image: IMG-2062.jpg]

Hit Soldier Creek this morning with a friend, we parked at the turn off to the dam around 6:30am and walked along the road in snow mobile tracks for about a mile then accessed the ice and started fishing after 7am in 37' of water. It was non stop action, we did not keep count but probably around 100 between the two of us when we left at 1pm. We each caught a slot buster, making it even more awesome it was a double. The joke today was that we where catching the same fish over and over, the vast majority of the fish caught today where 18"-20" Cutthroat.
 We only caught 6 rainbows, two of which where almost black in their spawning colors. I caught mine on my favorite white with red flake Maniac Gitzilla, my buddy caught them on that too, but he started playing, what can I catch them on, the answer was every thing he tried, tube jigs atomic teasers, spoons and various other stuff. I tipped my stuff with meal worm he used salad shrimp. We caught them all through the water column from the bottom up to 10' down.
Nice report, thank you!
Your thoughts on if ice is safe enough to take a tracked vehicle on it?
(03-16-2024, 08:55 PM)MrShane Wrote:

Nice report, thank you!

Lots of snowmobiles on Strawberry today.  Edges were solid as was walking on the ice.

Nice report, thank you!
The conditions are the best they have been all winter, there are a couple layers of slush, but they frozen, tracked vehicles would be good. I would target the Soldier Creek side because access has been limited all winter because of the oil clean up and there has been much less pressure.
(03-16-2024, 11:12 PM)Iicerman Wrote:

Nice report, thank you!

Lots of snowmobiles on Strawberry today.  Edges were solid as was walking on the ice.

Thank you!

(03-17-2024, 12:30 AM)obifishkenobi Wrote:

Nice report, thank you!
The conditions are the best they have been all winter, there are a couple layers of slush, but they frozen, tracked vehicles would be good. I would target the Soldier Creek side because access has been limited all winter because of the oil clean up and there has been much less pressure.
Thank you!