Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Somebody help me catch a walleye!
I just came down.To utah lake with the idea of catching a walleye.  I make at least one trip just for walleye everu spring, either to willard or utah Lake, And I haven't caught a single one in over twenty years. 

My first idea was to go to the American Fork river inlet and try to fish in the current.  It's just not working.  I can't get a decent presentation. 

I don't know what's wrong and why i'm so snake bit,  I follow all the general advice,  Somebody please tell me where to go to fish?  I don't get out enough anymore and i'm always out of touch.  I don't even know where to go to catch panfish right now.  Early spring always stumps me. 

If somebody can help me catch a walleye or two, I'll  tell you where I got a two pound bluegill last year!
I haven't heard of anyone doing much good on walleyes this year.  Weird weather and higher than usual water are likely to blame.  The fish are still there but operating under unusual (for them) conditions.  The American Fork River inlet is usually not much good until the white bass show up for their spawn in May.  Right now the walleyes are in spawn mode and not chasing food.  Fishing at night around  rocky shorelines is your best bet until about the first of May.  Then the fish cruise the shallows looking for calories.

Here is my chapter on Utah Lake Walleyes.  If you are not already proficient with small plastics you might spend some time on that section.

Attached Files
.pdf   WALLEYES 2017.pdf (Size: 2.18 MB / Downloads: 26)
Thanks, Tubedude.

Looks like a major change rather than a tweak is in order

A few years ago, we had a major late season run off and I saw a lot of walleye being caught there. AF, I mean. I thought after the rain yesterday It might be similar conditions.

(03-29-2024, 06:30 PM)Springbuck1 Wrote: Thanks, Tubedude.

A few years ago, we had a major late season run off and I saw a lot of walleye being caught there. AF, I mean. I thought after the rain yesterday It might be similar conditions.

That also makes me wonder why the perch  species don't feed during their spawn. Or at least attack things.  In your write up on the Willard Bay perch you noted that spring is not a good time to fish for them.

Different bedding behavior from sunfish I presume.

That also makes me wonder why the perch  species don't feed during their spawn. Or at least attack things.  In your write up on the Willard Bay perch you noted that spring is not a good time to fish for them.

Different bedding behavior from sunfish I presume.
No hard and fast rules. Fish spawning and feeding cycles are influenced by water temperatures, hours of daylight, atmospheric anomalies, wind, etc.  Best you can do is try to guess when they will be active and go fishing.  Be properly grateful for the good days and absorb the bad days as part of paying your dues to be called a fisherman. 

But yes...there are some differences in other panfish/sunfish.  Perch and walleyes are in a completely different family than bluegills, crappies, bass, etc.  The former are notorious for being closed-mouthed during the spawn...and then for a while afterward.  But when the water warms above about 60...after the spawn...they get very active and are much easier to catch.  Sunfish like bluegills on the other hand, continue to bite even during the spawn.  But they usually do not spawn until water temps are a bit above 60.  In fact, some of the fastest fishing of the year for sunfish is during the spawn...when they gather in their nesting areas.  That is a great time to get "reaction bites" by presenting a lure right in their nests.  Very protective females, but the males are pretty aggressive too.
Lincoln beach, look for the wading warriors, If they are there, there's eyes, plastic jigs, rattle traps, papalas all work, bounce them along the bottom, the next couple weeks will be the best for catching some males around a female, she wont start eating until she is spawned out and rested, most the time its just finding the fish, if you have a boat, there are may places around Lincoln or the island.
               O.C.F.D.
[Image: download.jpg]
Again I'd like to say thank you, TubeDude, but my problem is I don't understand where people go to learn this stuff. I don't mean the stuff you posted in your post. I could have written your post back to me (both of them) myself, from about age twelve, nd while i'm extremely grateful that you took the time,, I'm still not catching fish.

I'd love to just put in the time, and be grateful, and I guess that's the missing ingredient, but I simply can't do it. That's a reality that isn't available to me. So, I'll just take my random blind swings and eventually hope I hit a ball.
There is a not-so-humorous tip that the best way to catch walleye is to fish for something else. In a way, that's been true for me. I've caught about as many wallies as bass when pitching jig and plastic, crankbaits, or drop shot. The tried and true worm harness has been my best "for walleye" technique.
(03-29-2024, 05:45 PM)Springbuck1 Wrote: I just came down.To utah lake with the idea of catching a walleye.  I make at least one trip just for walleye everu spring, either to willard or utah Lake, And I haven't caught a single one in over twenty years. 

My first idea was to go to the American Fork river inlet and try to fish in the current.  It's just not working.  I can't get a decent presentation. 

I don't know what's wrong and why i'm so snake bit,  I follow all the general advice,  Somebody please tell me where to go to fish?  I don't get out enough anymore and i'm always out of touch.  I don't even know where to go to catch panfish right now.  Early spring always stumps me. 

If somebody can help me catch a walleye or two, I'll  tell you where I got a two pound bluegill last year!

Wait for post spawn. Im guessing on Utah lake that would be mid April or shortly after. After they are done knocking boots, walleye put on the feed bag. The spawn isn't the best time to catch them. Probably the same for Willard bay too. For Echo and Deer creek and Starvation I would say mid May or shortly after should be on fire. I haven't scored one yet this year, but I am patiently waiting to get on some eyes. 
Good luck.
Gabe
I'm going to Starvie April 8-11. New moon and maybe walleye on the feed.
Today was a good morning to stock up on crawlers for when the eyes get hungry.
What I found is Lincoln beach walleyes should be starting now, Utah state park is a few weeks behind.  Fishing for walleye is like playing the lottery, luck of the draw.
Used to be better. 

[Image: Tube-Dude-walleyes.jpg]

I caught a couple last week fishing along the dams at Willard Bay.  You might try there.
(03-29-2024, 09:54 PM)Springbuck1 Wrote: Again I'd like to say thank you, TubeDude, but my problem is I don't understand where people go to learn this stuff. I don't mean the stuff you posted in your post.  I could have written your post back to me (both of them) myself, from about age twelve, nd while i'm extremely grateful that you took the time,, I'm still not catching fish.

I'd love to just put in the time, and be grateful, and I  guess that's the missing ingredient, but I simply can't do it.  That's a reality that isn't available to me.  So, I'll just take my random blind swings and eventually hope I hit a ball.

When it come eyes, I spent many times out in front of the guys at Lincoln that where out to there chest,  talked to them, they showed me there jig, told me what they are doing, fished right next to them, they all but casted for me. I watched intently as they caught eyes while I caught rocks,  a few of the guys in the boats would give me tips, got to know a few of them by there boat, 

One thing they always said you got to put your time in. I do ok now for them but its taken alot of time fishing and not catching, Pat knows his stuff cause he has put more time in than about any person could in 3 lifetimes, 

there is about 2 more weeks or so spawn at Lincoln most he time its weather permitting is when you go, just keep after it, it will come around but it takes time. dont give up Its worth it when that big ol mama make the water swirl with her tail befor you even get to see her,

[Image: IMG-20210306-095953596.jpg]
[Image: IMG-20190319-094933119.jpg]
               O.C.F.D.
(03-31-2024, 05:48 PM)RockyRaab2 Wrote: I'm going to Starvie April 8-11. New moon and maybe walleye on the feed.

Good luck!  Starvation is another spot I'd like to know more about.  Mostly caught perch and rainbows.

(04-01-2024, 07:47 PM)willard-bay junkie Wrote: I caught a couple last week fishing along the dams at Willard Bay.  You might try there.
 Thanks.  Thats one of those places I try a lot.  What I mean by "snake-bit" is, I once went there with my aging father, who loaded up with powerbait and got two, while I struck out with crawlers and various hardware/jigs.

(04-02-2024, 07:27 PM)MSM1970 Wrote:
(03-29-2024, 09:54 PM)Springbuck1 Wrote: Again I'd like to say thank you, TubeDude, but my problem is I don't understand where people go to learn this stuff. I don't mean the stuff you posted in your post.  I could have written your post back to me (both of them) myself, from about age twelve, nd while i'm extremely grateful that you took the time,, I'm still not catching fish.

I'd love to just put in the time, and be grateful, and I  guess that's the missing ingredient, but I simply can't do it.  That's a reality that isn't available to me.  So, I'll just take my random blind swings and eventually hope I hit a ball.

When it come eyes, I spent many times out in front of the guys at Lincoln that where out to there chest,  talked to them, they showed me there jig, told me what they are doing, fished right next to them, they all but casted for me. I watched intently as they caught eyes while I caught rocks,  a few of the guys in the boats would give me tips, got to know a few of them by there boat, 

One thing they always said you got to put your time in. I do ok now for them but its taken alot of time fishing and not catching, Pat knows his stuff cause he has put more time in than about any person could in 3 lifetimes, 

there is about 2 more weeks or so spawn at Lincoln most he time its weather permitting is when you go, just keep after it, it will come around but it takes time. dont give up Its worth it when that big ol mama make the water swirl with her tail befor you even get to see her,

I have only spent one four-hour stretch out there, but did the same: mimicking every move, etc.   I remember watching twenty guys leave one after another with 24" walleyes, each after catching "their" fish, until I was the last one standing there in the dark.

So, I went off and caught a few nice cats for a consolation prize.
(04-04-2024, 07:25 PM)Springbuck1 Wrote:
(03-31-2024, 05:48 PM)RockyRaab2 Wrote: I'm going to Starvie April 8-11. New moon and maybe walleye on the feed.

Good luck!  Starvation is another spot I'd like to know more about.  Mostly caught perch and rainbows.

(04-01-2024, 07:47 PM)willard-bay junkie Wrote: I caught a couple last week fishing along the dams at Willard Bay.  You might try there.
 Thanks.  Thats one of those places I try a lot.  What I mean by "snake-bit" is, I once went there with my aging father, who loaded up with powerbait and got two, while I struck out with crawlers and various hardware/jigs.

(04-02-2024, 07:27 PM)MSM1970 Wrote:

I have only spent one four-hour stretch out there, but did the same: mimicking every move, etc.   I remember watching twenty guys leave one after another with 24" walleyes, each after catching "their" fish, until I was the last one standing there in the dark.

So, I went off and caught a few nice cats for a consolation prize.

Yup been there,  dont keep those big females, not a s good eating as a 20 inch,  besides need them for brood stock, but I have returned the favor by catching and them not, it was a great day, those guys about drowned when I threw  a 28 incher back in the lake, good thing I was out above there waders  or they would have climbed in the boat with me. Big Grin
               O.C.F.D.