Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
The "Good Old Days"
You know how it is with us old-timers.  Always looking backward more than looking forward.  Around the first of the year I started doing some cleanup and maintenance on my vast (maybe half-vast) photo files.  I was reminded of some of the great fishing I have had in the past...a lot of which is no longer available today.  And I whimpered a lot.

We are always getting new members on the board and some of them might be prone to discount the tales from us oldsters about how fishing used to was on some of our waters.  So I figured I would resurrect some old pics and put together some narrative to illustrate some of the glories of the past.

You know, you really don't have to be very old to be able to remember spots you used to fish with better results than today.  The combination of drought conditions, increased angler numbers, better fish-finding technology, better tackle and lures and other factors has decreased angler success rates on some waters in only the past few years.  We all have our stories and our rememberies.  What are yours?

Hope you like the attached.

Attached Files
.pdf   THE GOOD OLD DAYS.pdf (Size: 2.83 MB / Downloads: 49)
(03-31-2024, 04:05 PM)TubeDude Wrote: You know how it is with us old-timers.  Always looking backward more than looking forward.  Around the first of the year I started doing some cleanup and maintenance on my vast (maybe half-vast) photo files.  I was reminded of some of the great fishing I have had in the past...a lot of which is no longer available today.  And I whimpered a lot.

We are always getting new members on the board and some of them might be prone to discount the tales from us oldsters about how fishing used to was on some of our waters.  So I figured I would resurrect some old pics and put together some narrative to illustrate some of the glories of the past.

You know, you really don't have to be very old to be able to remember spots you used to fish with better results than today.  The combination of drought conditions, increased angler numbers, better fish-finding technology, better tackle and lures and other factors has decreased angler success rates on some waters in only the past few years.  We all have our stories and our rememberies.  What are yours?

Pat-- Those of us who have fished with you in the past few years know that the first picture of "you" in your write up is a fake. Nice try.  Wink
(03-31-2024, 04:44 PM)Boatloadakids Wrote: Pat-- Those of us who have fished with you in the past few years know that the first picture of "you" in your write up is a fake. Nice try.  Wink

Well, I tried.  Cost me a big pizza and a Dr. Pepper to get that young guy to pose for me.
Nice write up Pat.  

Thanks for sharing that.

I'm not far behind you age wise and I have shared a lot of the same experiences over the years just with some different waters.  

Even though we reminisce about the good old days we still have some amazing fishing opportunities in our state. Smile  
(03-31-2024, 08:08 PM)gofish435 Wrote: Nice write up Pat.  

Thanks for sharing that.

I'm not far behind you age wise and I have shared a lot of the same experiences over the years just with some different waters.  

Even though we reminisce about the good old days we still have some amazing fishing opportunities in our state. Smile  

Gotta agree with you on that.  Even though some of our ponds are not as good as they once were, others are a lot better.  DWR has done an amazing job of management and introducing new species where diversity was needed for establishing a better balance.  Unfortunately, you can't manage the unmanageable.  And with the wild swings of weather, precipitation and other factors fisheries management can be tough.  No matter how much edumacation you have on fisheries management, there is no crystal ball to predict what adverse changes there will be from one year to the next...and DWR has to try to plan a year or more out in the future.  Still, they probably do a better job than a lot of meteorologists in predicting weather.
And some of us can't catch fish because we just have no skill.
Remember that time you took me to Willard for crappie, and teased me about patiently waiting for them to release the bait before I reeled in?  LOL

I still stand firm that I couldn't tell if my bobber was moving because of the waves (it was rather windy/choppy), or a bite!
I'm sorry if that was frustrating for you!  BUT! Makes for a fun memory now!  Heart
(03-31-2024, 09:49 PM)VividDawn9 Wrote: And some of us can't catch fish because we just have no skill.
Remember that time you took me to Willard for crappie, and teased me about patiently waiting for them to release the bait before I reeled in?  LOL

I still stand firm that I couldn't tell if my bobber was moving because of the waves (it was rather windy/choppy), or a bite!
I'm sorry if that was frustrating for you!  BUT! Makes for a fun memory now!  Heart

Hey, BLK (bratty little kid), I just figured you were practicing conservation...releasing the fish unharmed without first putting a hook in their mouths.  Saves all the wear and tear of having to reel them in and unhooking them.  Pretty smart, if you ask me.  But I know you didn't.  Still a fun day.
I am one of the newer members I can remember being a kid catching perch at deer Creek through ice with my dad and uncle and thinking how they could just walk in the snow and I struggled so much. The picture with the bass and the pistol grip bait casting rod is another one my dad still uses his Browning boron to this day I retired mine for sentimental reasons. Really cool stuff thanks for sharing
hey Pat .. thanks for a good re-wind of some of our not too distant action/fishing activities here in this part of Utah...I was a transplant to Utah in the late 70's, and have also seen and felt the changes you've highlighted... .I think you have to take a little of the responsibility for the declining #s of fish in some of the waters you mentioned...some of the lures I've gotten from you have been working really well, especially ice fishing, but I'm happy to do my part in selectively 'thinning out' the population a little... and I do believe there are others as well!! Big Grin
Great write up and pictures. My dad grew up in Huntsville so as a child and teenager we spent a lot of time up in that area hunting and fishing. Pineview was always fun because you never knew what you were going to catch. One memorable spring morning were fishing near to where middle fork runs into the lake with small jigs, worms and the like. A breeze was blowing into the shoreline and the fish of all types were there. Crappie, bullheads, carp, and a great largemouth bass were all caught. Then as the sun started to dip, a some big trout started slamming our crappie jigs. They were all around 18" and full of fight. My dad was with us and grew quite nostalgic. He said that big trout like this were common years ago and he didn't think that any were left in the lake.

I have not fished a few of the lakes you mentioned in your write up. But seeing first hand the Sad state of the management of Pineview over the years has been disappointing.
Pat, appreciate the run down and history of the ups and downs.... I know we have issues with power squadron and management issues, but seems like you've seen enough cycles over the years to know that there is potential for ups ahead in the future.. what do you expect with a couple years of high run offs here in a row, what type of waters will be good in the next few years? You point to spawning area for perch and crappie being good for future upticks, about how long does it take to raise a good crop of fish, 3-5 years? I'm hoping it's a general uptick across lots of ponds, but which do you expect will see the best kicker? Kind of sounds like from your stories that small mouth bass are kind of a problem and aren't necessarily a good thing to have in a productive pond, is that true? I guess right now we should be taking advantage of the big channels in Utah Lake and nice perch in Willard... I know they all cycle and the down times aren't looked forward to, but they seems to make those good times seem even better... I always enjoy getting out and trying to catch a fish anyway... Don't think the ice army hurt the fish very bad this winter, at least I sure didn't... Later J
When things get stressful think I'll go fish'en and worry about it tomorrow!
Good Rememorys Pat, I have fond memories of all
Of those spots and many trips with you! We fished together “back in the good old days” at many of those spots. I think I was in a few of those trips mentioned! The best walleye fishing I ever had in Utah was below yuba one spring when the spray from water pouring over the damn and rocks made us wear rain gear, we got 40 between 3 of us I caught 23 in a half day biggest was six pounds plus! Conditions and vandals closing that area make it a memory that will never repeat I’m
Sure. Remember the all nighters we used to do in our float tubes at Willard bay! I recall one trip where I drifted off literally and figuratively into a nice slumber in my tube one morning at Willard, you snagged my line and started tugging trying to wake me up! After fearing you would pull my rod into the water you clipped my lure off. When I woke up an hour or so later and kicked back to where you where, I couldn’t figure how my lure broke off until you started laughing and told me the story and held up my lure!!’
Great memories and lots of GREAT fishing!!
Don’t want this to be negative, there is still a lot of great fishing in Utah and with better water and habitat, changing management strategies I expect a lot more great fishing opportunities! Lake Powell for one is seeing an uptick in fishing already with improving water levels and newly flooded habitat that had growth when the lake was down. The next several years should be very good! LMB and crappie numbers are improving quality of the stripers is already improved. Let’s all look forward to lots of great fishing in Utah! But fun to look back too!!
“Mildog”-Patrick out!
time spent fishing isn't deducted from ones life
(04-01-2024, 02:22 PM)SkunkedAgain Wrote: Pat, appreciate the run down and history of the ups and downs.... I know we have issues with power squadron and management issues, but seems like you've seen enough cycles over the years to know that there is potential for ups ahead in the future.. what do you expect with a couple years of high run offs here in a row, what type of waters will be good in the next few years?  You point to spawning area for perch and crappie being good for future upticks, about how long does it take to raise a good crop of fish, 3-5 years?  I'm hoping it's a general uptick across lots of ponds, but which do you expect will see the best kicker?  Kind of sounds like from your stories that small mouth bass are kind of a problem and aren't necessarily a good thing to have in a productive pond, is that true?  I guess right now we should be taking advantage of the big channels in Utah Lake and nice perch in Willard... I know they all cycle and the down times aren't looked forward to, but they seems to make those good times seem even better... I always enjoy getting out and trying to catch a fish anyway...  Don't think the ice army hurt the fish very bad this winter, at least I sure didn't... Later J
High water...after several years of low water...is better for the fish than the fishermen...at least short term.  The fish are more spread out and getting oriented to new habitat for awhile anyway.  It will take awhile for them to acclimate and for we fisherfolk to discover their new hangouts and habits.  

Perch and crappies both require stickups, aquatic vegetation or other underwater structure in their preferred depths for good spawns.  Otherwise, their eggs just lay on the bottom...subject to silt smothering and predation from other fish...like carp.  Last year should have been good and this year even better.  But one year does not repopulate a lake that has been going downhill for several years...like the crappies in Willard.  It is usually at least 2-3 years after a good spawn before more adult crappies begin to show up...and spawn.  And in Willard the time between a good spawn and 12 - 13" crappies may be as long as 5 years.  

It is no secret by now that there is a big and growing population of perch.  It took a few years but once they passed the point at which they spawned more than they (or the other predators) ate up, their numbers have really grown.  And because there are small shad available for them to eat during a major part of the year they can glut and grow to large sizes.  Perch are not quite as persnickety in their spawning requirements as crappies, so as long as there is even a small amount of rocky rubble or other underwater structure the perch will do fine.  

Smallmouths?  I love them...in their place.  But Utah does not offer many places for them to exist without impacting other species.  In their natural habitats of the northern midwest and eastern states there is usually a lot of natural forage...in the form of abundant crawdads and maybe several species of minnows.  And in a lot of Smallie waters there are also threadfin shad...upon which they grow hefty and feisty.   In Deer Creek and Pineview they were thrust into the ecosystem to fight it out with already struggling food resources for other established species.  And since they are aggressive predators they often outcompete the other guys...often by eating up a lot of their young after spawning.  If there was a lake in Utah with a lot of chubs...and some crawdads...and no largemouth, trout or perch with which to compete...we could see some world class smallmouth fishing.  

As for the channel cats in Utah Lake, the drought years impacted their spawn and survival of young cats.  You can always tell a healthy catfish habitat by catching all sizes of that species during the year.  That indicates successful spawning each year.  But the past two or three years it has been rare to hook cats smaller than about 20 -24 inches in Utah Lake.  More fun for fishermen but not boding well for future fishing.  I suspect that the higher water of last year probably helped the spawn and we should soon be seeing some footlong kitties from "Golden Pond".  And it should be an even better spawn this year with record high water.  

I agree on the ice fishing.  Really a disappointment for hardcore coldfooters.  But, as you point out, it probably will make for bigger fish populations and better fishing after ice-off.  I hope to test that theory as often as possible.
Pat,
Thanks for the write up to trigger old memories of mine.
I fished DC through ice the first year it was legal.
I fished for jumbos at Yuba during the glory days.
I remember the quantity and quality of Strawberry ‘bows when Strawberry used to be closed to fishing during the winter (wish it still was).
Thank you for the lures over the years.
I think you should change the date of your article to 2024 and I also think you should let me take you to DC in my boat this year!
Shane
Interesting write up!! I was particularly taken with the photo at the top of page 3!! I happen to kn ow the guy that owned that boat and has his back to the camera. Spent many days with him and continue to fish with him today !! I assume you were taking the picture, but unable to identify the rest of the group.
(04-01-2024, 04:09 PM)Therapist Wrote: Interesting write up!!  I was particularly taken with the photo at the top of page 3!!  I happen to kn ow the guy that owned that boat and has his back to the camera.  Spent many days with him and continue to fish with him today !!  I assume you were taking the picture, but unable to identify the rest of the group.

Here's that picture labeled.  I am in the grey sweatshirt.  Rick is on the right.  One of the other rangers took the picture.  That was on a day when we only got in about 3 hours of fishing before the wind hit.  But every drop was instant munch.  We probably caught about twice the number in the picture.

[Image: YUBA-GLORY-DAYS-PERCH.jpg]

(04-01-2024, 03:59 PM)MrShane Wrote: Pat,
I remember the quantity and quality of Strawberry ‘bows when Strawberry used to be closed to fishing during the winter (wish it still was).
I think you should change the date of your article to 2024 and I also think you should let me take you to DC in my boat this year!
Shane

Date changed.  Thanks.  Living in the past all the way.

I'd be glad to join you on DC.
Thanks Pat for the reply, I look forward to trying to find the ice left overs as well... Hopefully that will help make up for the low water over reductions of the years before... Kind of excited to see what happens in spots like Newton that got so low and yet had a good spring runoff last year and is looking like it should fill again this year.... Hyrum didn't get too low, but sure there will be better spawning areas this year and last, so look forward to the perch coming back there... They have reduced the bows in there so much that I suspect the perch can make a recovery, hopefully all the 5-7"ers from last year will grow into something more catchable this next year... Anyway spring is nice to get excited about fishing, I have always loved May for fishing in Utah, seems like I have a hard time being everywhere I'd like to try, but its usually fun where ever I do go... Later J
When things get stressful think I'll go fish'en and worry about it tomorrow!
(04-01-2024, 03:59 PM)MrShane Wrote: Pat,

Shane

i don’t think Winter ice fishing is what hurt the rainbows / fishing at strawberry? I think the
swith over management plan to Bear Lake Cutts sure as heck didn’t help them. Bear lake Cutts belong in bear lake no strawberry! I for one preferred the good old days at the “Berry”. Big rainbows, some hybrids, other Cutts and even Brookies as well as some good fishing in the tributaries!
time spent fishing isn't deducted from ones life
Boy, I had everybody wrong !! Still a great pic of some great times in the past! Rick is in South Dakota right now enjoying our last storm!! Everything iced up on him Friday!! Great write up !! Thanks!!
(03-31-2024, 04:05 PM)TubeDude Wrote: You know how it is with us old-timers.  Always looking backward more than looking forward.  Around the first of the year I started doing some cleanup and maintenance on my vast (maybe half-vast) photo files.  I was reminded of some of the great fishing I have had in the past...a lot of which is no longer available today.  And I whimpered a lot.

I print of and compile all of these for my dad TD, thanks