Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
23-24 Ice Season Re-Cap
I know this ice fishing season was a challenge in many ways, from late forming ice, to some waters that never really got a good ice cover. But I had a great time, and ended up fishing some new lakes and catching some good fish. My goals at the start of the season were as follows (results in parentheses):

1. Enter a couple of tournaments (entered BFT Ice Challenge, Utah Ice Grand Slam Game of Inches, and Frozen Frenzy Scofield)

2. Catch 6 species over 20” and 1 species over 30” (caught a 30" burbot, caught burbot, cutthroat, lake trout, and brown trout over 20")

3. Catch wipers, smallmouth bass, and tiger muskies through the ice (caught a smallmouth bass, targeted tiger muskies a few times with no luck, didn't target wipers but did fish a couple of places with wipers)

4. Introduce someone to ice fishing who hasn’t been before (took a couple of first time neighbors out - unfortunately it was slow fishing and an ultimate slush fest - probably a day they will never forget...)

5. Get out with friends more often (fished with my friend and brother Craig many times, fished with neighbors a few times, fished with a couple of sons-in-law)

Ice fishing this winter took me to the following lakes:
  • Pass Lake - Uintas (1 time)
  • Scofield (7 times)
  • Strawberry (5 times, Chicken Creek East a couple of times, Soldier Creek, middle east of marina, and the Meadows)
  • Newton Reservoir (1 time)
  • Utah Lake (7 times)
  • Willard Bay/North Marina (1 time)
  • Bountiful Pond (1 time)
  • Flaming Gorge (3 times, overnight trips)
  • Lower Stillwater Ponds (1 time)
  • Highland Glen Pond (1 time)
  • Pineview (1 time)
  • Rockport (1 time)
  • Mammoth (2 times)
That was a total of 32 trips this winter. Not bad for an "off" year!

Lessons learned/re-learned:

1) get out earlier, as soon as safe ice, don't assume ice will last
2) have a plan, especially if targeting new species
3) have a backup plan (on one occasion we planned to fish Scofield, but ice was sketchy so went to Mammoth instead)
4) do more research ahead of time
5) pre-rig poles and generally be ready so can maximize fishing time while on the ice
6) try something or somewhere new
7) don't take fishing partners for granted (thanks Craig, Joyce, Emily, Rinehart, Colton, Zach, Kevin, Marlin, and Adam)

Now on to some open water!

jack of all tackle, master of none