Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
RP on the soft water..Wed. 4-3
1 month ago was my last outing at Rockport on ice, today first outing on the soft surface...glad we went... I knew it'd be cold when we got there, so we arrived later, 0830, still only about 35*...I still like to use my canoe for the first couple outings, then my bigger boat starting in May...electric troller works great on it..Windy when we launched and fishing by 0900, heading toward the dam area...decent bite, mostly 7 or 8 feet down early, then about 10 to 12 feet down after 1100, when the wind completely stopped and temp also warmed up nicely...chartreus best early for me, but pink/silver hoochie and later rainbow spoon also got good hook-ups..buddy had some troubles catching, but he had multiple hits also..all tipped with 1" pc nite crawler today...good quality 'bows, 14 to 18", average about 15"..Very fun A.M., especially for smaller craft when the wind stopped..at least 1/2 doz. single person 'yaks, pontoon puddlers, float tubers out, and at least 1/2 doz larger boats also...most of the larger boats went South, toward the inlet area...Guluk...
Nice report Joe, sounds like a fun trip. Did you have a fish finder , if so, were you marking any fish on the bottom that might have been perch?
(04-04-2024, 01:14 PM)wiperhunter2 Wrote: Nice report Joe, sounds like a fun trip. Did you have a fish finder , if so, were you marking any fish on the bottom that might have been perch?

I now have an extra fish finder, but don't have it rigged to do an install on the canoe..so my buddy brought his ice finder along, but that transducer cable is just hanging overboard, angling back, so not getting a good picture of fish, maybe just bottom depth...I think if he puts the cable in pvc we could stabilize it downward..might do that next time...1 time he said he saw some bigger marks on the bottom, but he's looking at it, not me...probably wouldn't show anything up high anyhow, whether his or if I rigged up mine...got all the perch I want/needed from the ice, so not targeting them...
Does your canoe have a flat back end for mounting your trolling motor or do you just mount it on the side?
(04-04-2024, 07:42 PM)wiperhunter2 Wrote: Does your canoe have a flat back end for mounting your trolling motor or do you just mount it on the side?

Hey Curtis...it does have a flat transom to hold a small motor..I sent for it over 20 years ago, called 'Sportspal'', by Meyer...camo color..use it for duck hunting once in awhile also..don't know if they're even made anymore, but I've enjoyed it..might take it back next week Wed or Thurs again in the better weather...