Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
UL 4/4/24
Met my brother at 7at morning, Lincoln beach, had to take a day off cuz mother nature is Angry on weekends, long drive, we headed out south of the orchards to a spot Ive done good at in high water years,  only one other trailer there, more showed up through the day, hitting the popular spots,  ended the day with 2 carp, 6WB and 2 18in eyes, water temp  46 warmed to 52,  talked to a few guys at the ramp coming off and some heading out for the afternoon shift, sounds like very few eyes caught so far, 

UL is the only thing Im missing after moving out to the basin. 
[Image: 20240403-211726.jpg] 
[Image: 20240403-091737.jpg]
               O.C.F.D.
[Image: download.jpg]
Way to go Mike, you're my walleye hero! I'm glad you found a few, Sad there weren't more willing to play. Thanks for the report!
Glad you made it back "home" to chase the eyes. If you ain't ketchin" them not likely anyone is. I talked to a couple of the Asian guys that usually do well with the eyes and the best they had done recently was two or three per trip. Come back again when the post spaun frenzy begins and the eyes will be more willy to participate.

Still hope you can help out the southern catters this year. It should be a good year with all the water we have. The big pond is higher than I have seen it for a long time and we are still waiting for the runoff to begin?? 

Best to ya.
Glad you were able to get in a trip this year...and find at least a couple of willing wallies.  Any observations about depth or bottom conditions being different this year?  Or changes in technique?
(04-04-2024, 11:02 PM)Boatloadakids Wrote: Glad you made it back "home" to chase the eyes. If you ain't ketchin" them not likely anyone is. I talked to a couple of the Asian guys that usually do well with the eyes and the best they had done recently was two or three per trip. Come back again when the post spaun frenzy begins and the eyes will be more willy to participate.

Still hope you can help out the southern catters this year. It should be a good year with all the water we have. The big pond is higher than I have seen it for a long time and we are still waiting for the runoff to begin?? 

Best to ya.

Its seems to be slower so far this year, I thinks its mostly just finding them in the bigger pond,  Ill try on the cats, not many big cats out here that I have found yet. bout had panic attack when I got on the freeway, aint seen that many cars since I moved out here and that was only between exits.

good luck.
               O.C.F.D.
Hey Mike love to see you work your magic... Thanks for telling the tale so we can keep knowing it is possible to catch walleye when you plan to catch them... I'll bet you don't miss that traffic... I'm getting to be more and more a hermit not wanting to leave home because of all the busy-ness when I get away from my small town... Thanks for the report... Jeff
When things get stressful think I'll go fish'en and worry about it tomorrow!
(04-04-2024, 11:07 PM)TubeDude Wrote: Glad you were able to get in a trip this year...and find at least a couple of willing wallies.  Any observations about depth or bottom conditions being different this year?  Or changes in technique?

Had to give it at least on try and maybe one more depending on mother nature, observations?  your gona get you feet wet if you launching by yourself at Lincoln, water is up over the hump, got a ways before it drops off,  6ft in the channel, brother was out to the island the day before he said there was only enough room for half a dozen pelicans, I will be alot quieter out there with out the birds squaukin, 

We fished a down past the orchards on that small sunken island, 3ft water,  not many fish there you have to know the exact spot they like, the one boat that come down is lucky it was that high or he would have found the bottom, next low year those guy will eat some props, seen many boats forget you cant run by the shore.

The fish have unlimited pawing grounds this year, should have good recruitment, with it being so full I think its gonna take a couple extra weeks to get to the normal water temp for time of year, its hovering about 50 should be 55 by now and full spawn, I think there a bit late, 

With it being 10-12 feet in the middle when your fishing 6 foot this year it will be over the rocks, might be a bit different draggin bait around, but a guy could maybe bottom bounce this year if he know the structure around Lincoln or the island,  wish I could have been there in march with side planers around the island, 

As far as technique its hard to give up what you know and try different,  I tried to fish the same depths, 2-6 feet water,  had to use a tiny bit heavier jigs, but still the custom TD jigs that I have caught more on than any other, one on red one on purple. usually pull one of each. and they still work, 

Good luck to you guys, is all you got to do is keep casting and like I told the guy at the ramp, If the wind aint  blowing you off the lake its time to be fishing for eyes in the spring, the only thing better is a steady 5-10 mph wind from the south, makin some small rollers, thats when ya need to be there.
               O.C.F.D.
Mike--  That used-to-be island past the orchards is sure to be a prop eater for a few boats this year. Great spot to catch the whities (thanks) when their love cycle kicks in. Good place for cats, too. I hope to work that area a bit in the next few days, with due caution. One of the most painful things you can see out there is watching someone unfamiliar with the structure take on the "island" full speed. Ouch! I "autographed" the one in the L a few years back; it is sure to get a few props this year, and the one around Bird Island. High water levels are nice but the submerged "islands" are hard on props.

I hope to get out after this weekend storm goes away. If you get a chance to fish the big pond again let me know and I will stop by to steal all of your favorite spots. Smile

BLK/Lynn
(04-05-2024, 02:11 PM)MSM1970 Wrote:
(04-04-2024, 11:07 PM)TubeDude Wrote: Glad you were able to get in a trip this year...and find at least a couple of willing wallies.  Any observations about depth or bottom conditions being different this year?  Or changes in technique?

Had to give it at least on try and maybe one more depending on mother nature, observations?  your gona get you feet wet if you launching by yourself at Lincoln, water is up over the hump, got a ways before it drops off,  6ft in the channel, brother was out to the island the day before he said there was only enough room for half a dozen pelicans, I will be alot quieter out there with out the birds squaukin, 

We fished a down past the orchards on that small sunken island, 3ft water,  not many fish there you have to know the exact spot they like, the one boat that come down is lucky it was that high or he would have found the bottom, next low year those guy will eat some props, seen many boats forget you cant run by the shore.

The fish have unlimited pawing grounds this year, should have good recruitment, with it being so full I think its gonna take a couple extra weeks to get to the normal water temp for time of year, its hovering about 50 should be 55 by now and full spawn, I think there a bit late, 

With it being 10-12 feet in the middle when your fishing 6 foot this year it will be over the rocks, might be a bit different draggin bait around, but a guy could maybe bottom bounce this year if he know the structure around Lincoln or the island,  wish I could have been there in march with side planers around the island, 

As far as technique its hard to give up what you know and try different,  I tried to fish the same depths, 2-6 feet water,  had to use a tiny bit heavier jigs, but still the custom TD jigs that I have caught more on than any other, one on red one on purple. usually pull one of each. and they still work, 

Good luck to you guys, is all you got to do is keep casting and like I told the guy at the ramp, If the wind aint  blowing you off the lake its time to be fishing for eyes in the spring, the only thing better is a steady 5-10 mph wind from the south, makin some small rollers, thats when ya need to be there.
Great info.  Thanks for the details.  I probably won't be getting down there during the balance of the "run" but will likely whack a few in May or June.  Got some areas that the post spawn wallies like to gang up on the whities.  I usually fish for the whities with small jigs but the wallies don't/can't read the directions and a lot of them hit the same small stuff.
[Image: SAY-AAAAAH.jpg] [Image: SAY-AHHH.jpg] [Image: WELCOME-ABOARD.jpg]
(04-05-2024, 03:38 PM)TubeDude Wrote:
(04-05-2024, 02:11 PM)MSM1970 Wrote:

Great info.  Thanks for the details.  I probably won't be getting down there during the balance of the "run" but will likely whack a few in May or June.  Got some areas that the post spawn wallies like to gang up on the whities.  I usually fish for the whities with small jigs but the wallies don't/can't read the directions and a lot of them hit the same small stuff.
[Image: SAY-AAAAAH.jpg] [Image: SAY-AHHH.jpg] [Image: WELCOME-ABOARD.jpg]
 You should be able to launch at the L, unless it over the bank,
               O.C.F.D.
(04-05-2024, 04:24 PM)MSM1970 Wrote:  You should be able to launch at the L, unless it over the bank,

I plan to give it a shot.  The phrags have had the ramps  blocked off for the past couple of years, but a crew cleaned them out a bit.  And BLK sent me these pics of what the ramps looked like before full high water.
[Image: L-1.jpg] [Image: L-2.jpg]

(04-05-2024, 05:57 PM)TubeDude Wrote:
(04-05-2024, 04:24 PM)MSM1970 Wrote:  You should be able to launch at the L, unless it over the bank,

I plan to give it a shot.  The phrags have had the ramps  blocked off for the past couple of years, but a crew cleaned them out a bit.  And BLK sent me these pics of what the ramps looked like before full high water.
[Image: L-1.jpg] [Image: L-2.jpg]

Ya you better have him go down on another recon mission for ya, he's just sittin around waitin for the cats to give him a call Big Grin
               O.C.F.D.