Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
Flaming Gorge shore report with a wheelchair
Made it to Flaming Gorge. Fished from the shore near the pipeline.  Was a bit late getting there. Took Cookies parents along. Fishing was slow. We caught a few in each location we tried with spinners and spoons and jigs but never very many. They were in deeper than expected as we normally find them crusing shallows this early.
Odd thing - we did not a catch a fish with bait - none on worms or powerbait. That is very unusual for shore fishing the Gorge  Joe from BFT dropped by on his boat. Always nice to chat with fellow BFT friends. He had a Smile on his face but I won't share his results. Will let him if he is inclined. 

We tried to highlight the challenges of getting Buckwheat and his wheelchair into this location in the video. Sometime we can get him to the water and sometimes not. This was a tought one.

Also cooked up a chuckwagon stew recipe from Cowboy Kent. I highly recommend this stew. 

https://youtu.be/RN24wNf40mY?si=XfMqENKcAQt1FFT7
Remember: keep the lid on the worms, share your jerky, and stop by to say hi to Cookie and the Cowboy-Pirate crew
Thanks for the report Lance, glad you were able to get up there and enjoy the day with Cookies parents and Buckwheat was able to get out with you on this trip, too bad the catching was so slow.
That's some great video and the drone adds a lot better view of the area.
I love the way you keep buckwheat active. You are the man
Lance, it was good to meet you. I wish I could have Said hello to cookie and buckwheat , But I was in a hurry. You guys sure found a super nice cove. Some amazing drone footage in your video. I don’t have much of a report. I scouted my Koke spot when I arrived Monday night. Weather was no bueno but the rerebel laughed at it. Launched both mornings before 530 (watch out for the holes at the bottom of the Lucerne ramp).I was able to easily find the Kokanee, but I was doing lots of different scouting and Different techniques for the lake trout. All proved to be ineffective. I talked to multiple groups at the ramp and at the Motel that could not find the Kokanee .
I do have to share that one of the mornings when I was picking up the kokes , I was by myself with no boats around. As the first fish came in it was like a creepy horror movie where the person really far away suddenly becomes closer and then by my third fish, the five boats that were around me were literally within 30 feet. I am all for sharing what I am using to help catch the fish but when I have to navigate around your boat because you’re trying to get in my area, it’s a little uncalled for. I tried to stay positive knowing that people come along ways to try and get kokes at the gorge. My voice echoed through the high walls and the boats scattered like cockroaches. Pink on pink was best color.
Just curious what you said to get the boats to scatter? I try to come up with unique things to say or do when I get surrounded too.
(04-07-2024, 12:54 AM)BearLakeFishGuy Wrote: Just curious what you said to get the boats to scatter?  I try to come up with unique things to say or do when I get surrounded too.

It’s a big &$”$* reservoir gentlemen. I get jigging we can all get a little close especially places like the bump off Lynwood, the rock pile at bear lake or the ever so popular Willard perch fest. But when trolling with downriggers there is no need to be giving high fives on passes. What’s so interesting is these guys were so impatient. I had my limit the first day within 30 minutes and the second day would’ve been within the same amount of time, but I lost fish because I had to steer the damn boat. I don’t even think the sun had risen yet.
(04-06-2024, 02:11 AM)Cowboypirate Wrote: Made it to Flaming Gorge. Fished from the shore near the pipeline.  Was a bit late getting there. Took Cookies parents along. Fishing was slow. We caught a few in each location we tried with spinners and spoons and jigs but never very many. They were in deeper than expected as we normally find them crusing shallows this early.
Odd thing - we did not a catch a fish with bait - none on worms or powerbait. That is very unusual for shore fishing the Gorge  Joe from BFT dropped by on his boat. Always nice to chat with fellow BFT friends. He had a Smile on his face but I won't share his results. Will let him if he is inclined. 

We tried to highlight the challenges of getting Buckwheat and his wheelchair into this location in the video. Sometime we can get him to the water and sometimes not. This was a tought one.

Also cooked up a chuckwagon stew recipe from Cowboy Kent. I highly recommend this stew. 

You are such a hell of a Dad.  I'm trying, but when I have to do it all alone, it can just be too much to be practical.
Good for you taking the in-laws but mostly taking your son. I'm sure he likes going along. You and your wife are special people.
(04-07-2024, 05:49 PM)Springbuck1 Wrote:
(04-06-2024, 02:11 AM)Cowboypirate Wrote: Made it to Flaming Gorge. Fished from the shore near the pipeline.  Was a bit late getting there. Took Cookies parents along. Fishing was slow. We caught a few in each location we tried with spinners and spoons and jigs but never very many. They were in deeper than expected as we normally find them crusing shallows this early.

You are such a hell of a Dad.  I'm trying, but when I have to do it all alone, it can just be too much to be practical.

I appreciate the compliment but like you I am just another guy sorting out his world as best he can

(04-07-2024, 10:04 PM)lovetofish Wrote: Good for you taking the in-laws but mostly taking your son. I'm sure he likes going along. You and your wife are special people.

Txs. It my wife who is special. I am just the muscle that keeps the wheels turning
Remember: keep the lid on the worms, share your jerky, and stop by to say hi to Cookie and the Cowboy-Pirate crew
Hey Lance what a great video, man the day was gorgeous and that drone footage is epic, I love it... You are getting really professional on those videos, great talent there putting that together... And you're a pretty tough old goat being able to pack Buckwheat up that hill nonstop... Sure glad you're able to do that for him and the rest of your family... Makes me want to do a gorge trip after seeing that video... Although Joe's story makes me shake my head about the gall of the fellow boaters... Is the koke school so small that you have to fish on top of each other??? If it is I think it's time to find another location with fish... Thanks for putting this one together, it was really fun... Later Jeff
When things get stressful think I'll go fish'en and worry about it tomorrow!
(04-09-2024, 12:11 PM)SkunkedAgain Wrote: Hey Lance what a great video, man the day was gorgeous and that drone footage is epic, I love it... You are getting really professional on those videos, great talent there putting that together...  And you're a pretty tough old goat being able to pack Buckwheat up that hill nonstop...  Sure glad you're able to do that for him and the rest of your family...  Makes me want to do a gorge trip after seeing that video...  Although Joe's story makes me shake my head about the gall of the fellow boaters... Is the koke school so small that you have to fish on top of each other???  If it is I think it's time to find another location with fish... Thanks for putting this one together, it was really fun... Later Jeff

It was a beautiful day. My bride though I was going to die when I got to the top of that hill. Personally I don't recommend tieng a sack of potatoes to your neck and hiking up hills but sometimes that is what it takes.. our plan is to highlight the challenges of getting Buckwheat and his chair and Cookie with her MS out. Hope it will encourage other to just keep trying to have an adventure. Even if it hurts a bit more each year.
Hard for those of us that haven't had to face the challenges to imagine what you have to deal with. I used to take my FIL fishing and he was rather large and as age took it's toll we had to find some creative ways to still be able to get him out... One day I found the ice with a 10' gap and his balance was never good, so getting him to walk the plank wasn't going to happen, so I loaded him in the back of my truck, and backed down the boat ramp until my tailgate was over the ice and had him get on and off the ice that way... It worked, and we even showed others how to get on the ice without a plank that day...Only problem was for the guy that had to park the truck.. Anyway, I'm glad you guys can go and do the things you enjoy together, hope those means will be available for you to do it as much as you care to... Keep the videos coming... J
When things get stressful think I'll go fish'en and worry about it tomorrow!