Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
"No good deed goes unpunished."
Today, I was fishing Strawberry and a young guy (appeared to be in his early 20s) walked about 1.5 blocks to visit with me.  He asked if I had caught anything, and I responded that I had caught 32.  He asked if they were fish and I said yes.  He then asked if I was fishing for kokanee salmon.  I explained that one needed to fish in deeper water than I was fishing to catch kokanee.  I asked if he and his buddy had caught any and he answered that they had had a couple bites earlier but hadn't caught any.  He noticed I had one rainbow trout on the ice.  He didn't seem to recognize that it was a rainbow.  I asked how he was fishing, and he explained some type of jig and a spinner.  I rigged up a jig, that had been working for me, and handed it to him.  I explained that if he wanted to catch a rainbow that he would increase his odds if he fished in water that was ~25' deep or shallower.  He was likely fishing in water that was over 50' deep.  He walked back to his buddy and after a while I watched them move closer to shore.  They fished there for a few minutes and moved a little way even closer to shore. 

I was about ready to call it a day, so I decided to hike over and give them my mealworms and my remaining cut bait.  He had mentioned that they were tipping with night crawlers. I noticed that they were fishing with long rods that would have been suitable for fishing with bait, but definitely didn't have enough sensitivity for ice fishing.  I suggested that they purchase some sensitive ice-fishing rods.  I asked him to show me how he was rigged.  He reeled up and he had the jig that I had given him snapped to a steel-wire leader.  I tried to explain that steel leader is only used when fishing for fish like Tiger Muskie.  I also explained that steel leader would be extremely visible, which wouldn't help in trying to catch trout.  I asked if he had something he could use to cut off his line, where it was tied to the steel leader.  He bit it off with his teeth.  I showed him how to tie the jig directly to his line, using a uni knot.  After tieing on his jig I noticed that the tail end was too long and needed to be cut off.  I wasn't wearing my jacket or insulated coveralls (way too warm for either) so I didn't have one of my line-cutting tools handy.  I bit off the tail end (something I haven't done in over 25 years).  I baited the jig with some cut bait, and he dropped his jig to the bottom.  Because they were fishing without a fish finder.  I grabbed the line with the intent of pulling the jig to the surface so that I could see how deep of water they were fishing.  When I grabbed the line, and started to lift the jig, I felt a fish on the other end.  I jerked my arm to set the hook and told him that he had a fish on.  He reeled it in and seemed excited to finally catch a fish.  It was an approximately 18" cutthroat. I showed them how to recognize a cutthroat and a rainbow trout and also explained the slot rules.   

I started walking back to my sled and run my Tongue over my teeth and immediately felt a chipped tooth!  On April 2nd, I take a young guy, who had been generous to me, sturgeon fishing, only to be rewarded with having to replace my vehicle.  So, today I help a guy catch a fish only to be rewarded with a chipped tooth.  I think I am about done doing good deeds for awhile.
Oh my! That is unfortunate. That poor soul seemed pretty clueless, so catching a fish probably made his entire day. You are piling up blessings.

You forgot one other good deed you did today and that was fish by riff-raff like us. My son and I had a good time and it was a good way to end the ice season, even if it was a hair slower than the last few outings.
Way to help a stranger…man he seemed clueless!! How was the ice up there today boys?
(04-14-2024, 05:46 AM)MWScott72 Wrote: Way to help a stranger…man he seemed clueless!!  How was the ice up there today boys?

It was still 20 inches, but the ice was getting very soft.  Somehow, the edges were fine still.  The top layers are melting quickly though, getting rotten through the day, and I don't think it'll be good for much longer.  Walking was not a problem.
I feel like it works out that way a lot. Pretty much all my life.I've been helping people and bad things happen. It's good to invest in other people's success though. Most of them are not psychopaths. I'm never gonna stop cause.I don't think any other way works better.

Sorry about your tooth though, and really sorry about your truck.
I was going to ask you when you think we can put a boat on SC side, but don't tell me you may lose a eye.
(04-14-2024, 06:53 PM)liketrolling Wrote: I was going to ask you when you think we can put a boat on SC side, but don't tell me you may lose a eye.

Thanks for watching out for me.
I was expecting the kid to pull in a 30"er, sorry it was a chipped tooth... Better luck next trip... J
When things get stressful think I'll go fish'en and worry about it tomorrow!
(04-16-2024, 12:51 PM)SkunkedAgain Wrote: I was expecting the kid to pull in a 30"er, sorry it was a chipped tooth... Better luck next trip... J

Just got home from having my chipped tooth fixed.  Didn't have to be numbed and a quick fix.  So, I'm ready to risk doing another "good deed".
(04-16-2024, 02:58 PM)Kent Wrote:
(04-16-2024, 12:51 PM)SkunkedAgain Wrote: I was expecting the kid to pull in a 30"er, sorry it was a chipped tooth... Better luck next trip... J

Just got home from having my chipped tooth fixed.  Didn't have to be numbed and a quick fix.  So, I'm ready to risk doing another "good deed".

Good deal, it will help you Smile and show off the fixed tooth... Later J
When things get stressful think I'll go fish'en and worry about it tomorrow!