Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Willard Bay info needed
I’ll be hitting Willard Bay this afternoon on my way home. Does anyone have any recent reports on what’s biting ? Any info will be greatly appreciated ?
(04-14-2024, 06:24 PM)ocean Wrote: I’ll be hitting Willard Bay this afternoon on my way home. Does anyone have any recent reports on what’s biting ? Any info will be greatly appreciated ?

I saw a report on FB, where this group of three guy pulled in 4 nice Wipers but for most of us it's been really slow lately. That being said, with the warming temps this week that could have changed. If you are fishing from shore give mussels a try. Please let us know how you do.
(04-14-2024, 06:43 PM)wiperhunter2 Wrote:
(04-14-2024, 06:24 PM)ocean Wrote: I’ll be hitting Willard Bay this afternoon on my way home. Does anyone have any recent reports on what’s biting ? Any info will be greatly appreciated ?

I saw a report on FB, where this group of three guy pulled in 4 nice Wipers but for most of us it's been really slow lately. That being said, with the warming temps this week that could have changed. If you are fishing from shore give mussels a try. Please let us know how you do.
Yes I’ll be fishing from the shore. I’ll try and find some mussels and thanks !
(04-14-2024, 06:53 PM)ocean Wrote:
(04-14-2024, 06:43 PM)wiperhunter2 Wrote:

Yes I’ll be fishing from the shore. I’ll try and find some mussels and thanks !

There are several areas around the lake were you might do good, from past experience I know that this time of the year we see the most people at the East corner by Freeway bay, the SW corner and lastly the outlet area but that area might be hard to get to without paying the entrance fee into the North marina, the other two locations should be free.
I’ll try both sides hopefully I get into a wiper or walleye ?
(04-14-2024, 07:12 PM)ocean Wrote: I’ll try both sides hopefully I get into a wiper or walleye ?

Anything is possible but evening and early morning will be your best time for eyes near shore. Cats and wipers would be what I would guess you would catch but who knows.
I saw winco food has mussels in the freezer section.
(04-14-2024, 08:42 PM)wiperhunter2 Wrote:
(04-14-2024, 07:12 PM)ocean Wrote: I’ll try both sides hopefully I get into a wiper or walleye ?

Anything is possible but evening and early morning will be your best time for eyes near shore. Cats and wipers would be what I would guess you would catch but who knows.

I looked for mussels but Walmart and smith’s were out. We fished the North side and I talked to a guy there and he said that the wipers had been biting off and on. He did give us 4 pieces of mussels and we did get a nice bite that bent the rod in half and broke my 10 lb leader. We didn’t get a bite on worms. The wind picked up it got cold and started raining so we ended a total of like 2 hours fishing before packing it in.
(04-15-2024, 07:01 AM)ocean Wrote:
(04-14-2024, 08:42 PM)wiperhunter2 Wrote:

I looked for mussels but Walmart and smith’s were out. We fished the North side and I talked to a guy there and he said that the wipers had been biting off and on. He did give us 4 pieces of mussels and we did get a nice bite that bent the rod in half and broke my 10 lb leader. We didn’t get a bite on worms. The wind picked up it got cold and started raining so we ended a total of like 2 hours fishing before packing it in.
At least you had one on, too bad it broke your line, sounds like it was a good one. Thanks for the report.
anyone who has been out recently, what is the water level and temps like?
Imagine we are still sitting around "full" for now with ending on a good note last year and some decent snow/rain so far this wet season
Sorry you lost your one shot at glory.  But just remember.  Fish do not break lines...it is the fisherman.  Bad line, poor knots and/or a drag not set properly before fishing can all cost us fish that we should have been able to bring to the net.  A 2-3# fish can break 10 pound line with a sudden surge against a tight drag.  But, if you are like most anglers, that lost fish JUST HAD to be bigger than 10# to break 10# line.  Right?

Another thing that has cost all of us fish is a line nicked by rocks, snags or the sharp spines on fish caught previously.  If we don't check our lines after a "dangerous encounter" we may end up practicing unwitting conservation...by releasing fish we would rather have kept.

The upside is that fishing will get better from now on.  It is still early.  The false spawn gathering of wipers is typically sometime after the first of May...after water temps edge toward the magic 65 degree mark.  Keep at it and better luck next time.