Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Willard spawning crappie
I remember years ago it used to be a thing to go to willard and fish for crappie This time of year but I haven’t heard any thing about it in a long time do people still go and fish for them in the north Marina id like to head up ther and try it
From my observation on Friday, I don't think you can access the docks in the north marina for fishing. I looked like there were a couple people fishing from shore inside the marina. But, there were TWO boats trolling INSIDE the marina. I can't believe anyone could even attempt that due to the size of the marina but I watched them go around in circles. I think I'd get dizzy if I tried that! LOL
(04-21-2024, 11:58 PM)BearLakeFishGuy Wrote: From my observation on Friday, I don't think you can access the docks in the north marina for fishing.  I looked like there were a couple people fishing from shore inside the marina.  But, there were TWO boats trolling INSIDE the marina.  I can't believe anyone could even attempt that due to the size of the marina but I watched them go around in circles.  I think I'd get dizzy if I tried that!  LOL

In the north marina, the last dock, farthest to the west, on the south dike, is for people to fish from the dock.  They built it in honor for that guy who drowned a few years ago, while he was fishing alone on his boat.
I think the numbers of crappie are down in Willard, so I don't think the crappie spawn is as big of a draw these days as it used to be. If you have a tube, toon or yak you might try over in the SE corner of the marina. I watched a guy with the fly rod a few years ago really slay the crappie over in that corner near the stream inlet... Don't know what he was using, but did see him catch a bunch of fish that day... It also may be a couple weeks later in the year. I think that was early May when I seen this guy catching them there... Old news, but maybe something you may want to try... Later J
When things get stressful think I'll go fish'en and worry about it tomorrow!
I stopped by the north marina of Willard Bay on Sunday afternoon.  I did not go fishing myself but talked to four parties fishing from shore for crappies and two boats that came in.  No one had caught a fish.
As most Willard "regulars" know, the crappies in Willard are dependent upon high water levels to bring off a good spawn.  They need flooded brush or vegetation upon which to lay their eggs.  And in low water years they have to just spawn over open lake bottom...where their eggs either suffocate in the silt or are slurped up by carp or other egg munchers.  Willard is just ending several years of low water and poor spawning so the population is way down.

The north marina has become popular with the "happy harvesters".  It is one spot on the lake that usually has suitable spawning conditions even in low water years.  So that is where they congregate...as do the HH crew.  It has been observed that some of these folks fill 10 fish limits in their buckets, go home and then return several times in the same day.  Disgusting.  But DWR does not have the resources or the motivation to shut them down.

Crappie begin gathering for their spawns sometime in late April most years...after water temps top 50 degrees.  And fishing gets better as temps top 60.  Spawning takes place at about 65.  Unlike some species, crappies continue to feed actively even during the spawn so that is when they are most vulnerable...while gathered for love.  My personal guideline for max crappie fishing is right around Mothers' Day each year.
I usually find the crappies along the east side of the north marina at the same time as the white bass spawn at utah lake. Usually mothers day to memorial day...depending on the year. The 10 fish limit is plenty for a day's fishing. They usually run 12-13 inches when I'm lucky enough to find them. I've done well also in the flooded brush at the Northeast corner of the lake, where the dike starts. Last time was two years ago for me and I did ok.

Mike
(04-28-2024, 01:32 AM)gmwahl Wrote: I usually find the crappies along the east side of the north marina at the same time as the white bass spawn at utah lake.  Usually mothers day to memorial day...depending on the year. The 10 fish limit is plenty for a day's fishing.  They usually run 12-13 inches when I'm lucky enough to find them.  I've done well also in the flooded brush at the Northeast corner of the lake, where the dike starts.  Last time was two years ago for me and I did ok.

Mike

Hey Mike long time no see! About 7 years ago I caught a bunch of crappie right there not far from the north marina. I couldn't keep them off my jig and they were slabs for sure.
A man needs to believe in something; I believe I'll go fishing!