Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Echo Res. Sat. Apr. 20
Overall slow trolling for the rainbows this A.M., but what a great time to be on the water...very windy for my canoe from about 9 to 10:30, but the wind died and it was calm and very pleasant 'til we ended at 1:30...I had 5 solid hook ups, netting 3, 15 to 17"ers...my buddy had a few hook ups, but landed 1...and we each had 4 or 5 other light hits...lots of loon out this day to keep us entertained...their call is pretty amazing, and I'm sure they're getting their share of smaller fish...I caught fish, or had good hits on: pink/silver flash hoochie, smaller rainbow crankbait, chartreus 'Tomahawk', and small rainbow spoon...all tipped with 1" pc nite crawler...hope to have the bigger boat ready for my next trip, as cramping is becoming more of an issues....rough getting old!...guluk..
(04-23-2024, 04:11 AM)Jmorfish Wrote: Overall slow trolling for the rainbows this A.M., but what a great time to be on the water...very windy for my canoe from about 9 to 10:30, but the wind died and it was calm and very pleasant 'til we ended at 1:30...I had 5 solid hook ups, netting 3, 15 to 17"ers...my buddy had a few hook ups, but landed 1...and we each had 4 or 5 other light hits...lots of loon out this day to keep us entertained...their call is pretty amazing, and I'm sure they're getting their share of smaller fish...I caught fish, or had good hits on: pink/silver flash hoochie, smaller rainbow crankbait, chartreus 'Tomahawk', and small rainbow spoon...all tipped with 1" pc nite crawler...hope to have the bigger boat ready for my next trip, as cramping is becoming more of an issues....rough getting old!...guluk..

Thanka for the report Joe, sure haven't heard much about echo recently. Too bad the catching wasn't better. I'm surprised you can still do a canoe, those long periods of keeping your legs straight have got to be a killer.
(04-23-2024, 01:25 PM)wiperhunter2 Wrote:
(04-23-2024, 04:11 AM)Jmorfish Wrote: Overall slow trolling for the rainbows this A.M., but what a great time to be on the water...very windy for my canoe from about 9 to 10:30, but the wind died and it was calm and very pleasant 'til we ended at 1:30...I had 5 solid hook ups, netting 3, 15 to 17"ers...my buddy had a few hook ups, but landed 1...and we each had 4 or 5 other light hits...lots of loon out this day to keep us entertained...their call is pretty amazing, and I'm sure they're getting their share of smaller fish...I caught fish, or had good hits on: pink/silver flash hoochie, smaller rainbow crankbait, chartreus 'Tomahawk', and small rainbow spoon...all tipped with 1" pc nite crawler...hope to have the bigger boat ready for my next trip, as cramping is becoming more of an issues....rough getting old!...guluk..

Thanka for the report Joe, sure haven't heard much about echo recently. Too bad the catching wasn't better. I'm surprised you can still do a canoe, those long periods of keeping your legs straight have got to be a killer.
I love fishing out of my canoe, or getting to hunting areas with my kayak..just love being on the water (not IN the water..that's why I won't fish out of my kayak again)..sitting in back of the canoe, I need to be half twisted most of the time to change speeds or make turns with the tiller of the electric motor..so I usually don't get enough time to stretch my legs out straight..we always pull into shore after a couple hours for a break, and that helps, as well as keeping a 4 oz bottle of pickle juice handy for if (when) my leg does cramp up......some nice 'bows and browns in there, and I know on another day it can be a lot better..
(04-24-2024, 03:25 AM)Jmorfish Wrote:

I love fishing out of my canoe, or getting to hunting areas with my kayak..just love being on the water (not IN the water..that's why I won't fish out of my kayak again)..sitting in back of the canoe, I need to be half twisted most of the time to change speeds or make turns with the tiller of the electric motor..so I usually don't get enough time to stretch my legs out straight..we always pull into shore after a couple hours for a break, and that helps, as well as keeping a 4 oz bottle of pickle juice handy for if (when) my leg does cramp up......some nice 'bows and browns in there, and I know on another day it can be a lot better..
I found that sitting in the front seat, with the conoe traveling backwards flattened out the craft better.  I also mounted the electric in front of me so that I would be facing straight forward when using it.  A tiller extension handle makes a world of difference. Bought or made of PVC.
Every electric motor I have ever had can be reversed by taking the head apart (4 screws) and flipping the top so that a rear mounted "pushing" motor becomes a "pulling" motor.  
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h6ufqSl0...IGhlYWQ%3D

So I thought I was the only one crazy enough to drink pickle juice... Man that is a lifesaver when things cramp up... I get them in bed at night and my wife has to run grab me a shot of pickle juice to pull me out of the death mode cramps... It's a life saver for me, even though I can hardly stand to drink it... Well I won't feel alone anymore.  Later J
When things get stressful think I'll go fish'en and worry about it tomorrow!
(04-24-2024, 02:08 PM)SkunkedAgain Wrote:

So I thought I was the only one crazy enough to drink pickle juice... Man that is a lifesaver when things cramp up... I get them in bed at night and my wife has to run grab me a shot of pickle juice to pull me out of the death mode cramps... It's a life saver for me, even though I can hardly stand to drink it... Well I won't feel alone anymore.  Later J
Could either of you fellers elaborate more on the pickle juice? I've enjoyed the stuff since I was young just for the flavor. Never knew there was any inherent benefits to it.
(04-25-2024, 02:41 AM)EyLayo Wrote:
(04-24-2024, 02:08 PM)SkunkedAgain Wrote:

Could either of you fellers elaborate more on the pickle juice? I've enjoyed the stuff since I was young just for the flavor. Never knew there was any inherent benefits to it.
Is there a Doc in the house? maybe he/she could explain it better, but my guess is the quick rush (drinking) of the salty liquid, which just happens to taste a lot better than salt water...when I'm done with the pickles, I always keep that freshest jar of just the juice in the fridge, for time of need..and I take a small, 4oz bottle along whether canoe fishing, or on a long duck hunt hike...Works for me too, Jeff...

(04-24-2024, 01:47 PM)Gone Forever Wrote:

I found that sitting in the front seat, with the conoe traveling backwards flattened out the craft better.  I also mounted the electric in front of me so that I would be facing straight forward when using it.  A tiller extension handle makes a world of difference. Bought or made of PVC.
Every electric motor I have ever had can be reversed by taking the head apart (4 screws) and flipping the top so that a rear mounted "pushing" motor becomes a "pulling" motor.  
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h6ufqSl0...IGhlYWQ%3D
This sounds interesting, but I probably can't do that, as I always have another person up front...
This has nothing to do with the 'fishing' aspect of this thread, but I will pass on what I know about leg cramps.  There are several leg cramp OTC meds available that actually do work at seriously reducing or completely eliminating leg cramps.  A couple that I looked at consisted of two main ingredients: potassium & magnesium.  And they cost more than buying the same amount of the 2 ingredients as standalone supplements.  A couple of the Rx meds that can contribute to having leg cramps are diuretics and/or hypertension meds - I take hypertension meds daily and have for about 20 years now.  I used to get leg cramps at night once or twice a week.  About a dozen years ago I started taking one 250mg tablet of magnesium and two 99mg tablets of potassium every night at bedtime.  I might get a very mild leg cramp every 2 to 3 months if I do a lot of walking or standing in a given day.  But for the most part my leg cramps have disappeared.  But, hey, if you want to drink pickle juice, go for it.  I'll keep taking potassium & magnesium at bedtime and I won't need the pickle juice.   Big Grin
Bob Hicks, from Utah
I'm 81 years young and going as hard as I can for as long as I can.
"Free men do not ask permission to bear arms."
(04-25-2024, 01:08 PM)dubob Wrote: This has nothing to do with the 'fishing' aspect of this thread, but I will pass on what I know about leg cramps.  There are several leg cramp OTC meds available that actually do work at seriously reducing or completely eliminating leg cramps.  A couple that I looked at consisted of two main ingredients: potassium & magnesium.  And they cost more than buying the same amount of the 2 ingredients as standalone supplements.  A couple of the Rx meds that can contribute to having leg cramps are diuretics and/or hypertension meds - I take hypertension meds daily and have for about 20 years now.  I used to get leg cramps at night once or twice a week.  About a dozen years ago I started taking one 250mg tablet of magnesium and two 99mg tablets of potassium every night at bedtime.  I might get a very mild leg cramp every 2 to 3 months if I do a lot of walking or standing in a given day.  But for the most part my leg cramps have disappeared.  But, hey, if you want to drink pickle juice, go for it.  I'll keep taking potassium & magnesium at bedtime and I won't need the pickle juice.   Big Grin
Plus 1, I also take the Mag and Pot supplements before bedtime with the same results.
Leg cramps?  We of the float tube persuasion know all about those.  NASTY.  But, as you might suspect, I got my own personal fave solution.  The little pills sold by Hylands.  (See attached pic) I keep a small bottle in my chest pack whenever I go afloat.  As soon as I begin to feel a "tightening" I pop two or three and quickly chew and swallow them.  You are supposed to let them dissolve under your Tongue but when the urgency of an impending leg cramp dictates you don't wanna waste any time.  Even if I get a cramp it usually goes away pretty fast and I am good the rest of the trip in most cases.

As a former multi-sport jock I have always been prone to muscle spasms and leg cramps.  I have tried lots of remedies...including pickle juice.  But I have not found anything that works better than these things.  You can order them online...or get them at Walmart.  They are available in several forms.  I always keep a bottle of the little round ones with me.  They dissolve quickly and work fast.

[Image: LEG-CRAMPS.webp]
I think everyone is taking the same medicine for cramps in different forms. Pickle juice is high in magnesium and potassium and looks like the capsules TubeDude uses also contain those along with a few other goodies. If you cramp up, get some K and Mg into you in whatever form you choose.