Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
Drawing Results 2024
How did you do in the big game drawing results this year?  I finally after 42 years of applying for it drew a moose tag.  It's not on a big moose unit so it won't be a trophy, but at least I got a tag before I kicked that bucket...  Only problem is the hunt is the same time as my deer tag in Pine Valley, so I suspect I'll hunt moose not deer this year... I had bought a new barrel for my rifle to hunt deer since I usually hunt muzzleloader, was going to do a rifle deer hunt for a change, but I guess that can wait for another year...  

So 6.5 Creedmore is probably too small for moose, especially when you have a .300 Win Mag that hasn't ever shot anything...  Hope you guys did well in the drawing... I'm kind of excited for a change... my last drawing tag was in 1996 so it's been awhile for me... Later J
When things get stressful think I'll go fish'en and worry about it tomorrow!
I know the feeling on waiting, I have 24 pts for limited deer, Henrys is tough to draw, was hoping with scopes being outlawed on muzzleloaders we would draw but just another point, I did get my dedicated so I can screw off more in the mountains this year,
               O.C.F.D.
[Image: download.jpg]
Hey Mike, looks like my elk and your deer are on the same program... Tough to get a tag... I never thought it would take this long to get a permit... Hopefully one day I'll get that elk tag... Best of luck to you on the deer... I used to really like the dedicated hunter permit, when I had more time to go play... Funny that was the only time I've ever had to worry about not shooting a deer, I shot one my first year, so I was paranoid I'd get one the next year and not be able to hunt at all the last year... But I didn't find one I wanted the second year so it all worked out... Have fun with that permit... Do they make you specify a unit, or can you hunt the full state with that permit? (other than draw units)

I didn't know they had outlawed scopes on the muzzleloaders again, I thought they went back to 1 power scopes instead of any power? Tell you what it's hard to hit with cast iron sites on a muzzleloader... I missed a lot of nice buck in my early days that would have been dead with my scope and current ML... I never changed from the 1X scope so I was hoping they would still be legal... I don't think my ML even has sights on it, might have to go back to my old Thompson Renegade if that is the case... or hunt rifle.... Later Jeff
Nice job on the moose Jeff! Just general season muzzleloader deer for me again. I'll be putting my old 1x scope back on again. Like was said above, they changed the law back again to non-magnifying or open sights on the muzz hunts.
Congratulations on the moose tag. That will be a fun time no matter the size of the animal.

I was fortunate enough to get a archery antelope tag this year on the first try. Now I'm under waiting periods for both deer and antelope so next year all I can put in for is elk. That is a problem that I can deal with.
Live to hunt----- Hunt to live.
From the guidebook:

"Only open sights, peep sights, a red dot, or scopes with 1x power or less will be allowed on muzzleloaders during muzzleloader hunt seasons."

Iron sighs are not required, you can use 1X or red dot scopes, just nothing with magnification.
Hey Jeff and Mike - Good on ya. I have drawn the moose, buffalo, and a Henrys buck deer and it took pretty much a live time to do it. That's why they are called once-in-a-lifetime hunts. Smile Fun hunts.
Zippo for me Jeff, and I have 23 Moose points I put towards drawing a ‘small Moose area’ and still could not pull the tag.
May I ask where you drew your Moose tag, I would love to hear stories in October also please!
Man I don't know if I'll ever draw a moose tag I've got 20 points there's quite a few of you ahead of me. My 13 year old drew a late season muzzy tag for deer. It's the same tag I got two years ago and missed a big buck so we are excited for that. Good luck on your hunt.
Congrats Jeff, what area did you draw in
I drew a muzzy deer tag this year. Last year I couldn't even draw a plain old muzzy deer tag. In fact, its been that way for 4 years now.
No tag one year
Tag one year
No tag one year
Tag one year
Guess I'll try to kill the first thing with antlers since my freezer is getting empty. I'll look forward to going to Michigan where I can literally buy deer tags over the counter. You can buy 2 buck tags and then as many doe tags as you like.
I've got 24 moose points and 18 elk points....NADA for either.
(05-21-2024, 06:00 PM)SkunkedAgain Wrote: How did you do in the big game drawing results this year?  I finally after 42 years of applying for it drew a moose tag.  It's not on a big moose unit so it won't be a trophy, but at least I got a tag before I kicked that bucket...  Only problem is the hunt is the same time as my deer tag in Pine Valley, so I suspect I'll hunt moose not deer this year... I had bought a new barrel for my rifle to hunt deer since I usually hunt muzzleloader, was going to do a rifle deer hunt for a change, but I guess that can wait for another year...  

So 6.5 Creedmore is probably too small for moose, especially when you have a .300 Win Mag that hasn't ever shot anything...  Hope you guys did well in the drawing... I'm kind of excited for a change... my last drawing tag was in 1996 so it's been awhile for me... Later J

Congrats
Congrats on the moose tag Jeff. My brother drew with 18 points last year on the Cache. Scouted a fair amount and ended up shooting his bull in the first hour, in a different part of the unit, on a passing recommendation from a work associate. Such a cool and fun unique animal…and something most will never get to hunt in their lifetimes.

That said, if you hunted deer over moose this fall, I’d have to come up to Cache Valley and kick you in the man jewels!
Congrats on your moose tag it will be a fun hunt
I'm so glad I quit hunting. This draw nonsense would have me fuming.
I have pretty much given up on my Buffalo tag but to be frank the burning desire to hunt one is long gone. I just enjoy watching them more. Amazing animals

I should draw a wyoming antelope. I would not even use my points but my father inlaw wants to go and I don't know how long he will be able.
Remember: keep the lid on the worms, share your jerky, and stop by to say hi to Cookie and the Cowboy-Pirate crew
Congrats on drawing your Moose tag. I have 25 points and most likely another few years in front of me before I draw. By time I draw, I hope I’m able to still go. Good luck!
(05-21-2024, 08:00 PM)Jig-fisher Wrote: Nice job on the moose Jeff! Just general season muzzleloader deer for me again. I'll be putting my old 1x scope back on again. Like was said above, they changed the law back again to non-magnifying or open sights on the muzz hunts.

Hey thanks for letting me know the scopes 1X are still okay... That's good news to me, I never upgraded to higher magnification so I'm still good it sounds like... I'd be hating the new reg if I bought  a nice scope for my loader and then couldn't use it... But realistically for the animals good, I can see they need to do this change... Scopes sure make hitting much easier at distance...  Well I hope your loader hunt goes well and thanks for the well wish... I am excited for sure... Later Jeff

(05-21-2024, 09:46 PM)a_bow_nut Wrote: Congratulations on the moose tag. That will be a fun time no matter the size of the animal.

I was fortunate enough to get a archery antelope tag this year on the first try. Now I'm under waiting periods for both deer and antelope so next year all I can put in for is elk. That is a problem that I can deal with.

Thank you on the congrats, sounds like you have it figured out if you've drawn more that one tag... Funny how some folks seem to be able to draw tags, while folks like me take forever to get one... I've grown old waiting for a tag, so it'll be a lot tougher hunt now, but I do have more vacation at this point in life as well, so at least I can go and enjoy the five day hunt... Just hope I can lose enough weight so I can hike where I need to go.. Maybe you don't look for moose very far from the truck anyway... That will be a job to pack that critter out, looking forward to figuring out how to do that quick enough to save the meat... Thanks again... J

(05-21-2024, 09:47 PM)FishfulThinkin Wrote: From the guidebook:

"Only open sights, peep sights, a red dot, or scopes with 1x power or less will be allowed on muzzleloaders during muzzleloader hunt seasons."

Iron sighs are not required, you can use 1X or red dot scopes, just nothing with magnification.

Thanks for that clarification, I thought I had read that when I went through the new rules for this year, but my memory wasn't very clear with the details... Thanks J

(05-21-2024, 10:06 PM)Boatloadakids Wrote: Hey Jeff and Mike - Good on ya. I have drawn the moose, buffalo, and a Henrys buck deer and it took pretty much a live time to do it. That's why they are called once-in-a-lifetime hunts. Smile Fun hunts.

Hey Lynn, that's great to hear you got several great tags...  My brother ended up drawing a mountain goat a couple years after his moose, so I'm hoping I'll get a second good tag before I get too old to keep chasing the critters... otherwise if I have to wait forty plus years to the next one I'll be applying from the cemetery...  I'll probably just have to quit applying for the most popular unit in the state so my points will do me some good... Thanks for the well wish... J

(05-21-2024, 10:43 PM)MrShane Wrote: Zippo for me Jeff, and I have 23 Moose points I put towards drawing a ‘small Moose area’ and still could not pull the tag.
May I ask where you drew your Moose tag, I would love to hear stories in October also please!

Hey Shane, I put in for a CWMU unit called Durst Mountain, they have one public tag and last year the odds were 80 to 1, which was a lot better than Cache at 300 to 1...  I think both of us were about the same for points, I think I had 23 or 24 points this year when I drew... There are usually a fair handful of folks with more points putting in for this hunt than I have had, so I think it was just pure luck that I drew this one without max points... Pretty happy it happened... Later Jeff

(05-21-2024, 11:41 PM)Bubman1 Wrote: Man I don't know if I'll ever draw a moose tag I've got 20 points  there's quite a few of you ahead of me. My 13 year old drew a late season muzzy tag for deer. It's the same tag I got two years ago and missed a big buck so we are excited for that. Good luck on your hunt.

Thanks for the congrats and well wish....  Don't give up on your 20 points, I didn't have max points but still drew, so keep giving them your $10 payment each year to apply and one day you'll probably get lucky... You might have to look at hunts with better odds though.  That's what I had to do is find a unit with a better chance of drawing a tag... I'll probably end up having to take a BullWinkle less than 30" wide, but I don't think there are that many 50" bulls left anymore... and I bet the smaller bulls will eat better anyway... Later J

(05-22-2024, 12:14 AM)2knots Wrote: Congrats Jeff, what area did you draw in

Hey Alan, I drew on Durst Mountain, I figured I'd be applying for your unit next year, I didn't expect to draw at all... But I don't think I'll turn it back and try again next year... Ya know what they say about a bird in the hand verses the bush... It will probably be a smaller bull than those you have been showing me, but with the current odds I'm going to be tickled with this chance to go chase them... Thanks for getting me excited to chase the bulls... I think talking with you got me considering the CWMU's where I had usually applied for the general public units before... Thanks.. Jeff
The wife drew the north cache archery bull elk tag on four points. Only thing we drew out on this year.
(05-22-2024, 01:55 AM)JazzyM Wrote:
(05-21-2024, 06:00 PM)SkunkedAgain Wrote: How did you do in the big game drawing results this year?  I finally after 42 years of applying for it drew a moose tag.  It's not on a big moose unit so it won't be a trophy, but at least I got a tag before I kicked that bucket...  Only problem is the hunt is the same time as my deer tag in Pine Valley, so I suspect I'll hunt moose not deer this year... I had bought a new barrel for my rifle to hunt deer since I usually hunt muzzleloader, was going to do a rifle deer hunt for a change, but I guess that can wait for another year...  

Congrats

Thank you.. J

(05-22-2024, 02:06 AM)MWScott72 Wrote: Congrats on the moose tag Jeff.  My brother drew with 18 points last year on the Cache.  Scouted a fair amount and ended up shooting his bull in the first hour, in a different part of the unit, on a passing recommendation from a work associate. Such a cool and fun unique animal…and something most will never get to hunt in their lifetimes.

That said, if you hunted deer over moose this fall, I’d have to come up to Cache Valley and kick you in the man jewels!

Thank you and you won't have to hunt me down to practice punting...  I plan on spending as much time as it takes looking for the moose, we only get 5 days, so I'll be up everyday from Tuesday thru Saturday if necessary to find one... Just hoping I don't pass up one and not find another the rest of the hunt hoping for bigger animals... Going to be hard making the call when you don't get to scout to know what is on the ranch... Hope I see one big enough that I won't have a doubt about pulling the trigger... Thanks and catch ya later.. Jeff

(05-22-2024, 10:26 AM)bone8 Wrote: Congrats on your moose tag it will be a fun hunt

Thank you....

(05-22-2024, 01:53 PM)RILEYFISH Wrote: Congrats on drawing your Moose tag. I have 25 points and most likely another few years in front of me before I draw. By time I draw, I hope I’m able to still go. Good luck!

Sounds like you're pretty much in the same shape I was, I almost was going to give up on applying, glad I didn't...  not sure how the health will hold up, the last year has really changed things for me... A year ago I wouldn't have thought twice on taking off after a moose, now I'll probably look twice before I shoot one in a bad hole... But when the chance comes I'll probably still take the shot and look for help afterwards if it's more than I can get out...  Thanks or the well wish.... and hope your luck picks up next year... Jeff