Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
POSSIBLY MOVING TO TEXAS THIS FALL
HEY THERE IS A POSSIBILITY I WILL BE MOVING TO TEXAS THIS FALL. POSSIBLY TO SAN MARCOS. WHAT IS THE FISHING LIKE THERE OR NEARBY AND WHAT DO YOU GUYS THINK OF THE AREA?

JED
[signature]
Sorry about the delay in reply to your quest.
I have been off line for over a week.
You will find Canyon lake to the west a short ways from San Marcos. We have JimF on the forum providing great weekly reports in the area. Check his posts for Canyon lake and the surrounding areas for a great insite on what is in the area.
[signature]
Canyon is a good lake but if you don't mind traveling a little bit, Choke Canyon is a great lake and it is always on fire. Amistad is another good lake down in Del Rio. If you want a chance to catch a hawg, than you will want to check out Braunig Lake just outside of San Antonio on I-37. I have pulled lots of big bass out of there. Good Luck
[signature]
what species are in those lakes,

Jed
[signature]
You have Black Bass in all of them. What are looking to find?
[signature]
little bit of everything. crappie smallies, large mouth, catfish, walleye, whatever,

Jed
[signature]
Canyon is a good place for smallies, large mouth and crappie but the other lakes I mentioned are grea for the large mouth and also stripers.
[signature]
Braunig lake has an odd species in it. It has red Drum( redfish) in it. The same species that is in the gulf and saltwater bays. TP&W planted them there years ago just to see if it would work. The state record came from there if that tells you if it worked.
[signature]
is that a salt water lake or have the fish adapted to a less saline body of water,

Jed
[signature]
It is a freshwater power plant lake just south east of San Antonio. The fish have adapted to the freshwater. I hear they found out they could do this because they were found in some freshwater areas near the coast. But I think they need warmer year round temps and some salinity to realy thrive. I understand they act different in fresh water. They stay in deeper water on structure where in salt they prefere the shallow grass flats. I saw some reds swimming with largemauth bass in an aquarium in Bass Pro Shops.
[signature]
Thanks game for the reminder. I had forgot all about the redfish plant up there.
I got an important Question for you as many are asking me. Everyone is wanting to know if you are going to enter the 16 species contest this year. Many have made the request for me to ask that you do. They want the reining champ from last year compeating to try to derein you. You are a high Quality angler and with your skills you can add more excitement to the event.
Being on top has to be a great feeling and I would like to see if you can land the title for a second time. You might have to head up to Lake Texoma for a big Blue to gain that biggest fish for the fresh water portion of the contest. Yep they split salt and fresh water up to expand the contest. They got some nice fish for a start already posted so go show them how it is done. Good luck my friend.
[signature]
I wish I had have know the contest was going to start up again. I did not take pics of the last three big ones with a tape on them. Oh well, I am going to Port Mansfield saturday in my kayak. Maybe I can catch a couple then.
[signature]
I wish you luck again this year my friend.
[signature]
I'm, also thinking about moving back to Texas after a 24 year absence, I grew up in San Antonio, and as a kid fished Canyon Lake and the Guadalupe river. I remember catfish and pan fish but thats about all. I left the San Antonio area in 1972 so its been a while.
[signature]
When you move back is San Antonio the area you plan on for the move? I was born there, raised in California, moved back in 70, moved away in 76. Returned shortly in 85 and landed down on the coast that has realy been my dreems. The coastal fishing is always great. Add the gulf breese on a hot day and it is fantastic.
[signature]