Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Killens, Dover, Delaware
Fresh Water Fishing Report for:
Delaware Lakes, Ponds, Rivers and Upper Chesapeake Bay
Updated: March 21, 2004. Killens, Dover, Delaware "COLD BUT HOT!" Well, this was a horrible day weather wise, but not catching wise. We arrived at Killens at 7:30 am, and boy was it cold. The wind was calm at first, but it was freezing! The water was fairly clear, but had grass floating in it already. It was strange being hooked on floating surface grass at 38 degree water temperatures! We caught the first bass of the day at 8:15 am, right off the main channel side of the Island on a swim bait. It was 4 pounds, and could barely get the bait in its mouth! It was a male! The biggest male I think I have ever caught in Delaware. The next bass came soon afterwards, and we never left a one hundred yard area the entire day. We left at 1:45 PM, frozen beyond belief by a 30 mph wind cutting through you like a knife, freezing your hands so badly you couldn't feel them after reaching into the water a few times! If the fishing hadn't been that good, we would have left in an hour it was so cold! All the bass we caught were on swim baits and soft plastics. We ended up with a total of 10 bass from 1.8 to 4.1 pounds. No trophy bass this time, but all nice. Now, for the rest of the story. In-between the bass, I caught 2 chain pickerel that anyone who fishes for them would have liked to have had! One was so big that I thought about mounting it! It was 5.7 pounds, and the second one caught immediately after that, was 4.1 pounds. After we took some photos and video, we released them. The one larger pickerel was 27 inches long.
[signature]