Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
cuttler and benson marina
[font "Times New Roman"][size 3]Who’s knows any tips about fishing for bass and slabs in Cuttler and Benson marina area? I have lived 10 minutes away form them for the last couple years and have only tried them once or twice. I hear whispers there’s some decent bass and croppies in there but the fertile spots are few and far between. Anybody with experience want to share a few tips, or better yet…secrets[/size][/font]

[font "Times New Roman"][size 3][/size][/font]

[font "Times New Roman"][size 3]Jigz[/size][/font]
[signature]
I too would like to know where to catch bass in that freakin place... i have fished that place pretty good with no strikes.... please help.
[signature]
I know of a few spots to catch bass and crappies. Last year, I caught a few really nice fish. I can help, some of the spots are carefully guarded with my life. I live about 10 minutes away as well. I have a few ideas...

I go fishing quite a bit...I could probably show you a think or two. It's spotty at best in that place and it is true, they are hard to find. I know where a few are and I would be willing to show you. What secret places have you got? [Wink]
[signature]
[size 3][font "Times New Roman"]Catchandrelease, [/font][/size]

[size 3][font "Times New Roman"]LOL, that is exactly the response I was looking for. As I said, I hear whispers and rumors but it seems everyone who knows anything clams up when I start to listen and ask questions. Closely guarded secrets indeed! They certainly ought to be worth something in exchange, lets see…I’m not sure what I can offer. I had Newton bass down to a science and I’m pretty handy at Hyrum but if you have Cuttler figured out you’re probably miles ahead of me at both those places (not to mention that Newton is about dead.) [/font][/size]

[font "Times New Roman"][size 3] [/size][/font]

[font "Times New Roman"][size 3]I know a few good walleye holes in Idaho if you like to travel…or perhaps you could be bribed with lures and gear?[/size][/font]

[font "Times New Roman"][size 3] [/size][/font]

[font "Times New Roman"][size 3]Keep talking, I’m listening….[cool][/size][/font]
[signature]
I have fished where you are talking about before and I also heard the same rumors about the bass and crappie in the water. I never did very well on my trips, but I did catch some catfish there. It has been a few years ago from my last trip to benson. It looks like there would bass throughout that pond I was excited to get on when I saw it but it didn't happen for me. Good luck if you go let me know how you do. Wes.
[signature]
I'd be glad to go with you! I just thought the secret would be fun. I actually would like to go walleye fishing. I haven't fished Hyrum. I had Newton down to a science. One thing with the Marina. It is really spotty. Last year I caught two 18" bass and a 12" bass in four casts. I went there the next day and nothing. I takes a while to figure it out. But I could probably show you around. What do you think?
[signature]
Hey Zigs, I grew up in Benson and my dad's family owned the land the marina is on. I have fished the Bear and the Logan rivers in Benson all of my life. There is a lot of water out there and the river channels and levels chance all of the time. All of this makes it hard to predict how the fishing will be.

Here is a couple of suggestions: Just East of the Benson Marina along the south side of that road is a good place to fish for bass and crappie. There used to be lots of old car bodies along the bank, an there is still a million snags. Use a gobb of worms 18" to 2' under a red and white bobber and just keep jigging it. That and an old cane pole is what most of the people of color use to use for catching bass. Try your favorite crappie jig and a bobber along there as well. (It is best fishing is between the two sprinkler pumps or down under the bridge or on the north side of the bridge). These area are good for bass and crappies. Also if you have a boat or a canoe there is an old rail road tressel south and east of the marina. (Just a caution about the bass, even though the water is heavily stained the bass are very easily spooked. move slowly and quietly.)

For Walleye I would use a Plastic worm or shad or what ever else you like for walleye bait. Fish it in deeper water close to the bottom. Fish it under the bridge and on the north side of the bridge back toward the marina. If you fish on the Bear River, find a hole or a good bend in the river and fish these areas with any of your favorite walleye baits or even a nightcrawler.

For channel cats a good bet is to find a slew with a channel into it off of the main river. Fish the channel. This works well in the spring when the cats start to spawn. Most of the big cats are caught a night fishing off of one of the bridges. Use your favorite stink bait.

Many of these places are close to roads and easy access which means a fair amount of pressure and may not be as good of fishing as finding a spot out of the way in a boat or canoe.

Hope this helps, Keep us posted on how you do.
[signature]
How long has it been since you've been there? The info is still pretty accurate... Good ideas. I know of a few more sloughs and stuff...but that is a good start. I'm about ready to start fishing them...anyone want to come?
[signature]
I have fished all of those sunken cars and trees with spinner baits, with nothing i have even fished th old railroad bridge above benson with nothing.... but what i do know is that the power company fluctuates the lakes level every night. as much as 1-2ft and that can definitly put a hurt on the fishing.

JOe
[signature]
Thanks for the info guys, it is indeed very helpfull.

Catchandrelease, I'd love to tag along on a trip. Count me in, I'm free most thurs-friday afternoons, and saturdays. Send me a PM and we'll hook up!
[signature]
I was down below the church in Benson yesterday to see if any crappies have moved in, but alas, nothing along the lines of crappie or bass. The carp were jumping all over and I spotted a couple and hooked them both. Carp on a fly rod...so fun...I never thought I'd do it, but I love it now! I talked to guy down there that had caught a 6 lb walleye and had a couple nice channels with him. Give it a couple more weeks and I'm going to be down there all the time. I live only a couple miles away anyways... maybe I'll see you guys out there.

CADDFLY
[signature]
Hey Cadd-

Did he catch them below the church? I was there Tuesday and nothing. My dogs were more interested in swimming than watching me fish. It was fun. It looked a little cold and cloudy yet. Where did he catch the catfish and Walleye? That sounds fun! What did you get the carp on? I go to the east shore of Bear Lake and sight fish for the big ones as they swim past. It's a great time. We'll have to go down below the church again. I think they'll move in in about a week or so. The ice hasn't been off that long. Have you ever fished the river by the church? There is some fantastic cover through there, but I have never done it. I have the boat to do it now so I'm going to try.
[signature]
I don't fish it much any more but I suspect it may be a little early yet. Another week or two of warmer weather will help.

My dad lives right on the Bear River a couple of miles from there. He will fish an hour every day in the same general area. Some days he will catch walleye or bass or crappies or channel cats and some days nothing but carp and mudcats.

Again, the bass are very leary so ease into place, stay in the shade, wear darker color clothing and be patient. The walleye and cats and crappies are a different story.
[signature]
Hey, who's your dad? I have caught bass and crappies up higher in Amalga, but I haven't fished the river much in Beson itself. Does anyone want to try?
[signature]
Catch-

He caught them right on the bend below the church. I was fishing out in the sloughs and looked for the red carp tails. I caught them on a tadpole pattern. I normally bow fish them, I would give it another two weeks. Can't wait. I'll let you know next time I head out down there or out to the marina...feel like some crappies.

Caddfly
[signature]
I got together with Hashbaz wednesday afternoon and put the boat in at the Cutler marsh marina. We explored around and tried to find a channel in the river going to the confluence of the Little Bear and Blacksmith Fork rivers by Mendon, but it got so shallow we were getting the boat and motor stuck in the mud so we gave up on that idea and fished the holes we found with the fish finder. There were fish present on the finder, but we couldn't get anything to hit. We crossed under the bridge and explored on the north side and went maybe a half mile north of the highway. Same thing there. Showed lot of fish, but no hits. Is it still too early? Do the bass hang out in the holes like other fish, or are they mainly along the edges of the water? One thing, it would scare me to be out there in the dark and try to get back through the maze of different twists and turns. I would get lost for sure. Keep me in mind if anyone wants company along for a fishing trip. Acey
[signature]
I tried the river by the church today, nothing. I did catch a lot of snags though. Do I have to use bait to catch anything?
[signature]
Hey catch thanks for the offer. I maybe able to take you up on your offer some day later in the year but at this point I am very busy either working or raising my son (single father) he doesn't get into fishing like his pop but hopefully he will come around one day and see the light and get hooked like the rest of us. I am in the process on getting my bass boat out and ready for some action. But it needs some work that I can't do on it myself and I just don't have the time to take it into the shop this week. Benson is a little far for me to make trip to at this time but maybe later we can hook up and chase some bass in the boat. But for now I will be heading for UT. lake this weekend for whatever is biting be it eyes, cats, whites, crops, ETC. Your more than welcome to hang with us and the kids. Do you live around the Cache Valley or SLC Valley I have wanted to always test the water on Newton Res. and try and bag a tiger out of there. Thanks again Wes.
[signature]
No Caddfly, bait for bass, crappie and walleye is not necessary. However, a worm will work for any of these species as well as catfish. For catfish I would only use some type of bait.
[signature]
My dad is Norval Johnson. Do you know him? He lives (as the crow flies) straight west of the Benson Church approx. 2 miles. His home and yard border the Bear river.
[signature]