Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Early Spring Payoff In Delaware! 3/27/04
Fresh Water Fishing Report for:
Delaware Lakes, Ponds, Rivers and Upper Chesapeake Bay
Updated: March 27, 2004. Early Spring Payoff!

Lake: Trap Pond State Park Location: Sussex County Delaware Water temperature: 49.1 to 50.8 Weather: Cloudy, light rain Air Temperature: 65 degrees Times Fished: 7:00 am till 2:15 pm Water color: stained

Well, I can hardly contain myself, as this was probably the best day we had in Delaware in 5 years! We started fishing the lower end of the lake in the morning with Berkley Gulp Sinking Minnows, Senkos, a Rat-L-Trap, and a Terminator Spinnerbait. After working the entire lower 2/3 of the lake in all available structure for over 4 hours, we ended up with a very wet boat, and 1 small bass of 1.4 pounds which hit the red Rat-L-Trap, and a Catfish no less that was about 3 pounds that hit the Gulp Bait! The rain slowed to a few sprinkles at 11:00 am, so we headed up the lake to the upper end in some shallow water of about 2-3 feet. On the way we stopped at the last piece of wood structure other than the Cypress trees, and I flipped a Berkley Gulp in and the line jumped and ran straight at me! I set the hook with Stren Super Braid line pretty hard, and whack! A bass came up near the surface and you knew it was big! It ran me into the trolling motor and wouldn't give up! We landed it about 2 minutes later after a final surge, and it was 6.8 pounds!! A monster! Bigger than any of the bass we caught so far this year from Delaware. It had a giant stomach loaded with food and eggs. We videotaped the weighing and measuring and took a few still pictures and released it. We moved a few yards up and Kurt threw his Terminator spinnerbait out to the flats were some grass was starting to grow, and bang!, a 2.5 pounder. I cast the Rat-L-Trap right to the same area, and on the first cast, the rod bent in half! Another nice bass of 3.6 pounds. We started moving around the flats keeping the boat in about 3 feet of water, and reeling the Rat-L-Trap and Spinnerbait at a pretty fast pace with a pumping motion, and occassionally letting it fluter a little. In less than 15 minutes, Kurt set the hook, and the Bass Pro Shops Crankin Stick bent in half, and he landed another trophy largemouth that weighed 5.7 pounds! We fished for another 30 minutes or so, and caught one more on a terminator spinnerbait of 2.4 pounds. We left for home as we had to get up and go out again to prefish for a guide trip, and it was a long ride home, and we were leaving again at 3 am on Sunday morning. If tomorrow is anything like today, we sure have a lot to look forward to. Pictures will be up on our site in a few days, so watch for them in the photo section, tight lines, Steve and Kurt vonBrandt S&K Trophy Bass Site
[signature]