Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Cottonwood & Jordan
4/11 ----Went to the cottonwood over by the old fun dome just to see what it was like. The water was crystal clear(no runnoff yet). Didn't catch anything but found a school of HUGE!! carp. There were 4 that looked over 30" one of those big ones had a big wound on it's back near the tail(anyone been bow fishing?)Decided to try the good'ol Jordan ,had a few bites but didn't catch anything. I was only there for about 45 min. First time I have been skunked on the Jordan in awile.
[signature]
Man I know how that is! Last year I had a similiar experience on the Jordan, big school of large carp just hanging out in shallow water. I tried finessing all kinds of baits through the school without a bite. They would just ingnore the bait. I always wondered what they were doing, does this activity have something to do with spawning?
[signature]
Yeah I saw one inhale a piece of papper or white baggie or something that was floating down stream then spit it out,I tried worms with no luck and I got one of the big carp to follow my rebel minnow for a minute. I thought carp were strickly scavengers but maybe they feed on minnows once in awile? The way they were grouped together they may have been spawning.
[signature]
Don't be fooled carp eat everything, lol. I've caught them on spinnerbaits and senkos and had one come up and nip at a bait bug in UT Lake and another follow a shad rap to the surface. I know of otheres who have caught them on crankbaits and repallas. I think they are opportunistic feeders if an injured fish crosses thier path I'm sure they will gobble him up in no time flat.
[signature]