Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Little help on electric trolling motors
I have an 18'3" Star Craft (aluminum hull) boat. It has a closed bow. I would like to get a bow-mounted electric trolling motor for it, but I don't want to spend a small fortune on it, but I also don't want something that is inadequate.. How much thrust do I need. Will a 12 volt be adequate, or do I need 24 volts? Because it is an enclosed bow should I consider a wireless control, or what else might work?
[signature]
[size 2]Boat weight and bow height needed first?? Then decide if you can operate it from a fishing position easily. If not go wireless. Last, I will wire her in for ya!! [/size]
[signature]
kent, 12 vs 24 volt is going to come down to time in use. a 50 lb thrust 12 volt is going to move your boat with the same thrust as a 50 lb thrust 24 volt, but you arent going to last half as long before your battery dies.

Theres no way around it, you will spend a small fortune on it.

If you get a 24 or 36 volt system, you have to wire the batteries in series now so that the system is a true 24 volt system. On the older models you could wire up 12 or 24 wich meant you could also hook other things up to your batteries that operated on a 12 volt system. But with the new 24 volts, they operate on true 24 volts so if you hook your finder or whatever up to these batteries you will blow fuses, or worse if you dont have fuses.

This means more cash, dedicated to deep cycle batteries in addition to your motor purchase.

But, if you go with a 12 volt system on your size boat, you will need several back up batteries anyways if you plan on running it constant for long periods of time, like in walleye rigging. That way when one dies, you can switch over to another.

No fun huh?

As far as lbs thrust, wich is going to raise or lower your price of your motor, you need to consider your boat style. Big deep V style boats with a profile that sits up high, out of the water, waves and wind will catch your bow and knock you around a lot. If you are underpowered, you will have no control and your purchase will be useless. For your boat, I recomend 65 lbs.

Its a heavy boat with a fairly good size profile on it.

However, if you are buying the motor to get into bass fishing, and just want to use it to position the boat off the shore and stay there for a short time, a smaller thrust and even 12 volt system might work, since you wont be operating it constantly, and most likey wont be fishing it in waves and wind.

Minnkota has a sizing chart to help you on thier web site. You need to put your boat on the water and measure the bow height to the water surface. if that measures 23 inches, that doesnt mean you need a 23 inch shaft though. Use the sizing chart or you will be surprised when you get your motor.

Dont buy a motor guide. Buy a minnkota. I have never met a guy who owned bolth a motor guide and a minnkota and would buy a motorguide again. If all you ever owned was a motorguide, you just have no idea what you are missing.

You sir, if I am guessing your intent correctly will want the minnkota autopilot with the co pilot option. However, realize the auto pilot comes with a REALLY REALLY long cord on the foot pedal. I can move my pedal all the way to the back of my 21 ft boat. The co pilot is nice, but you will be able to save 150 bucks by not getting the co pilot.

Other than that, you have to consider that cable control doesnt have a long cord, you will have to be on the bow with your motor to operate it.

Sorry dude, you are looking at some cash to get rigged up.

For a 65 auto pilot with a shaft long enough you are looking at around $700 then you will have to devote two deep cycle batteries to a 24 volt system, thats going to run you another 150 - 200 bucks. you by the time you are done, you will be approaching $1000.00
[signature]
I've been looking at a Minn Kota powerdrive with a 48" shaft and 40 lbs of thrust for $324.99, 50lbs of thrust cost $389.99 and a 54" shaft cost $399.99. The mount is not included but cost $39.99 The Copilot option can be added on for $149.99. I know your boat is bigger than mine but I think you would be fine with a 12 volt system, it really depends on how you will be using it. WH2
[signature]