Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Tampa Bay Area Fishing Report
Tampa Bay Area <br>Fishing Report<br>Captain Charles Walker<br>4/29/02<br><br>The weather was beautiful for the most part. The offshore fishing has been very spotty with kings spread out all over the Gulf, grouper have been mostly in the very deep water, and plenty of grunts have been found in the nearshore water. The water temperature is moving up awfully fast. It’s almost as hot now as we usually expect in June. I hope it decides to level off before the whole Gulf evaporates. (There’s a picture for you now, a near empty Gulf of Mexico with a few squirrelfish flopping around on the dry bottom.) Maybe the fishing would improve the way it does after they do a lake drawdown. Wow, what a suggestion for the National Marine Fisheries Service. I’ll bet they would chew on that one for years trying to figure out how to dam up the Gulf.<br>On to the bait house reports:<br>Ruskin Bait and Tackle - 813-641-2325 – The snook fishing has been great in our area, of course the season is closing the last day of April. Grouper fishermen in the channel have been bringing in lots of small grouper and a few keepers. Trout have been biting well on the flats. Lots of oversized reds have been caught this week around Joe’s Island. Spanish mackerel are still biting like crazy around the Skyway.<br>Buddy’s Bait and Tackle on the Courteney Campbell Causeway in Tampa - 813-287-1026 – Lots of cobia have been caught on live pinfish near the floodgate and the big bridge. Lots of snook action around the flood gates now that the season is closing. Black drum are biting well around the bridges on crabs.<br>Bonnie’s Bait and Tackle in Clearwater - 727-446-2772- Lots of cobia have been caught in the passes and around markers in the area. Snook are abundant in the area. Trout are biting well in Hurricane Pass for anglers bouncing jigs along the bottom. Reds have been biting well in the ICW. Spanish mackerel are still hot in the Pass and along the beaches. <br>Trappman’s Bait and Tackle on Gandy Blvd in St. Petersburg - 727-579-1414- Cobia really turned on this weekend on the flats and around the bridge. The Mad Snooker had 40 pound snook that he caught and released, caught on a 16 inch ladyfish. Some pompano have been caught around the bridge on Sunday.<br>Don’s Dock on Madeira Beach - 727-391-3223- Some grouper were brought in by anglers going out to deeper water. Lots of blackfin tuna have been brought in from offshore around the shrimp boats. Snook fishing has been good under the dock lights and there have been plenty of trout and reds caught in the canals and the ICW. Spanish mackerel are still running the beach and kings are biting sporadically around the artificial reefs and wrecks offshore.<br>Pass-a-Grille Bait and Tackle on St. Pete Beach - 727-360-6606- Our offshore boats have been bringing in plenty of kings this week. Lots of Spanish mackerel have been brought in from the beaches, the jetty, and by the boats fishing up and down the beach. Tarpon have shown up in the pass this week and few grouper have been caught drifting the pass. <br>The Skyway Fishing Pier - 727-865-0668 and the south Skyway - 941-729-0117- Lots of Spanish mackerel, silver trout and even an occasional shark have been brought over the rails this week. The fishing mix seems to change from day to day, so the next time you visit we could be catching, tarpon, grouper, cobia or any fish in the Gulf. <br><br>Folks, feel free to call any of the places in my report for more information, and be sure to tell them that you read about the fishing in their area in Capt. Charlie’s fishing report on the Internet.<br><br>If you want more information about fishing in the Tampa Bay area or wish to book a charter, simply e-mail me at captchas@flfish.com or if you wish to arrange a charter faster, call me at 727-546-7257. Be sure and visit my web site for lots more Tampa Bay Area fishing info at: http://www.floridasaltwater.com .<br><br>Good fishing and tight lines,<br>Capt. Charlie<br>http://www.flfish.com/fl<br><br><br><br>Capt. Charlie Walker<br>http://www.flfish.com