Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
digital camera
Well I got a digital camera today, a 4 mp , but I noticed while I was trying to figure it out that the batteriesonly last through about 30 pictures. My card I bought for it will hold 80. So does this mean to fill it I need to carry around 5 pounds of batteries?

Is this the normal life for batteries in a digital?

Has anyone tryed rechargables, I can't imagine they would last anytime considering regular batteries go so fast?

Please leave your experiences, and any helpful ideas would be appreciated. thx
[signature]
Hi poorfisherman, I oan a 3 mp digital and I use the rechargeable ones, they work great. I carry the 2 in the camera and the 2 extra just in case, I can get about 40 pics on 2 bats, using the back of the camera to frame the pictures. Doing it that way uses a lot of energy from the baterys. If you dont use the back of the camera for picture taking, (use the view finder or the little eyepiece like a regular camera) it saves the baterys by about three times as much, Then you just zoom and crop using the computer to get the pics you want. Turning the camera on and off often will eat up energy also, kind of like on a vehicle and gas. Good luck and I hope this helps. Post some of those pics too.

TROLL
[signature]
My camera uses 4 AA batteries that last a lot longer than 30 pictures but I did get a set of recharageable batteries. Note that they don't last as long as nicads so I got another set. One set in the camera and one set in the case. I also only use the high resolution setting for the best pictures. Have fun and post some pictures.
[signature]
My camera(3mp) runs off 4 aa size batteries. I was going through 4 batteries about every 40-50 pics at full res. After switching to the rechargeable ones i can get between to 90-120 depending on how much adjusting the settings i do. I would definately recommend rechargeables and see if you can find a charger that will plug into a 12v outlet(cigaretee lighter). Mine will recharge completely in about 30 minutes.

Just my $0.02
[signature]
Rechargeables work great. Watch for the ones with higher mAh (milli-amp hours). Get a minimum of 1800, preferrably 2100. Sam's club has a good set with a quick charger. Make sure you get an extra set.

Make sure your flash is off if you don't need it. Also, have the display screen off when you aren't using it. Those two things drain the batteries worse than anything. Finally, avoid drastic temperature changes. Don't leave it sitting in your car. Temp changes also drain batteries, and can damage the camera, obviously.

Enjoy the camera.
[signature]
Thanks for the info BLT. I've been looking at buying a recharger for batteries because my digital eats them. The info you provided will come in handy to help me decide what to get. How much does Sam"s club charge? WH2
[signature]
According to there website the charger and 4 batteries cost $28.24.
[signature]
[url "http://www.steves-digicams.com/nimh_batteries.html"]http://www.steves-digicams.com/nimh_batteries.html[/url]

[font "Comic Sans MS"][size 3]This is a great site that has a lot of info on NiHM rechargable batteries.[/size][/font]

[font "Comic Sans MS"][size 3] Remember that all rechargables are not the same the higher the MaH number the higher the capacity which equates to more pictures. I checked the Walmart and Sam's stuff but none of them had the highest capacity batteries which are now 2400 MaH. I ended up buying mine online. [/size][/font]

[font "Comic Sans MS"][size 3]Also you want a "smart" charger that can tell whether to trickle charge when the batteries are fully charge. My charger has a "condition" cycle that keeps the batteries at their maximum memory capacity. They suggest conditioning your batteries every ten charges. [/size][/font]

[font "Comic Sans MS"][size 3]There is a fine line between fast charges and putting too much juice to your batteries. You can actually cook your batteries if they are charged too fast. This causes them to expire prematurely. [/size][/font]
[signature]
Thanks for all the great info. guys It helped out a lot. another question about the rechargables though.

I noticed the batteries on the internet are kind of off brands but have bigger specs, and sound nicer than the major brands.

But I'm kind of leary about some off brands because I've had them leak in things and the companys won't stand behind them, but I have major brands leak and called the companies and they sent me a check. now will rechargables leak like alkalines ro do they not leak.

Now does anyone know if any of these batteries on the internet advertise that thay will fix or replace your stuff if there batteries leak and ruin your camera. and if so which companies

I just don't want to rick an expensive camera for cheap batteries even if they have higher ratings.
[signature]
[font "Comic Sans MS"][size 3]Just food for thought...[/size][/font]

[font "Comic Sans MS"][size 3]I'll bet a dollar to a donut that if you look at all the dedicated rechargables that come with digital cameras and not one is made by the "name brand" companies. [/size][/font]

[font "Comic Sans MS"][size 3]I'm not going to say whether certain brands or "off" brands will leak any more or less but I didn't buy "name brands" batteries. Neither were they cheap in cost and yes, I've had very good service with them. I can't complain one bit. My charger and 12 batteries were over $70. [/size][/font]
[signature]
I wasn't saying certain batteries were better than others cause of name I was just wondering if they leaked if the companies would pay for your camera or you would just get screwed and have to buy a new one. Cause with my bad luck I would end up with the only leaking batteries the company ever made[Tongue].

well anyway took everyones advice and got some rechargables, Thanx for all the help.

Now all I need to do is catch a fish.
[signature]
I doubt if you will find any company that will pay for damage caused by their batteries. They will just replace the batteries if they are faulty. (A lot of good that does with a ruined $700 camera!)

I actually bought mine at WalMart, and I think they are the 2100 MaH batteries, and they work great.

The ones at Sam's are better, with a good quick charger, and I think the charger also switches over to the trickle charger. Costco also has a set that is either 2100 or 2400 MaH, but the charger didn't look as good. I think they are both around $30-40 with a set of batteries and the charger. You should also get an extra set of batteries.

One other thing to keep in mind, some of the chargers do come with a car adapter. Great to have if you are camping and need to charge your batteries.
[signature]
Not too long ago I got a 5 MP Olympus camera. It comes with a rechargeable lithium battery pack. I haven't used it too much yet, but I have 128 MB memory stick for it, and when it needs charging I have to take out the battery and put it in the charger for approx. 1 to 2 hours to charge it fully. I haven'y taken it for an extended amount of time, but it has been great so far for what I've used it for.
[signature]