Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Wind Is Still High, Blackfin Tuna Are Biting
Sunday (5/16) was another day for those with a weak stomach to stay on shore. On previous trips I have been able to fly a heavy air kite. Today it got stepped up to the ex-heavy kite with wind from the east @ 23 - 25 MPH. Fishing for a half day in the Haulover area, we found the blue/green edge and ripping north current, south of Haulover in 150'. As you moved north, it pushed out to 200'.

Eileen Clark and her grand daughter Tiffany Kempisty were back for another day of Mr. Toad's Wild Ride. Their friends Ellie Miller and Faye Naylor joined them to complete the all girls trip. Within 5 minutes of putting out the baits, the bait on the long kite got eaten and Ellie was fighting an unknown species that was pulling hard and running deep. When here arms gave out, she turned the rod over to Faye. The fight continued and just as Faye was showing signs of fatigue, the fish came to color and we saw that it was a blackfin tuna (23 pounds). Just seeing the fish was all the boost Faye needed and shortly thereafter, I gaffed the fish and brought it aboard. Meanwhile, a flat line rod took off and Ellie was standing closest to it, so she gave her arms another workout before turning the rod over to Tiffany. It was becoming quite apparent that today was going to be tag team day. Tiffany fought her fish around the boat till it came to color and we saw that we had a bonito (12.5 pounds). As for Eileen, she was getting all the action on video. After all this action, everything settled down for the next few drifts. Even with a sea anchor, the drifts were fairly short. I moved back south of Haulover Inlet to about 71st Street for the last drift of the morning. We started the drift in 205' and when we got to 180', the pilchard on the kite got eaten and it was Eileen's turn to do battle. The fight had all the characteristics of a blackfin tuna. Eileen slowly worked the fish closer to the boat and soon we all saw that it was another blackfin tuna (24 pounds). Once back inside of Haulover Inlet, we took pictures that can be seen on my website at www.knotnancy.com , then click on the fishing report link at the bottom of the page.

Captain Dave Kostyo
Knot Nancy Fishing Charters
305 620-5896 Charter
305 732-2628 Beeper
www.knotnancy.com
nkostyo@bellsouth.net
[signature]
Good report. It's too bad that mother nature didn't realize that we are in fishing season. You got something inspite of it. Thanks again for the awesome report and tight lines to ya.

There are some good tuna recipes on the recipe board if you would like to check them out. Skip through the first ones though. They are for canned tuna. The only "Can" Tuna I like is if it's from the Mexi-Can waters.
[signature]