Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Who Says Carp Aren’t Game Fish?
[font "Arial"][size 5]Who Says Carp Aren’t Game Fish?[/size][/font][size 2]

[/size]

My best fish fights have been with a carp. My latest encounter with one darn near killed me and it went something like this….[font "Arial"][size 2]

I trout fished for a while Sunday morning and caught nothing, so I decided to try my luck with the carp. I had just started carping with corn this year and have landed some 12 inch carp. So I put a bobber, a size 6 hook, and a small weight on my Ugly Stik and added some corn. I tossed the line in about 6 feet from shore and proceeded to try to catch some minnows with my daughter's little Scooby-Doo fishing rod. I walked around a little then sat in my chair. I got back up to take off my vest and saw my bobber wiggle. As I was taking my fishing vest off, my bobber took off into the creek. I picked up my rod and gently set the hook. Oh Yeah baby - CARP ON! [/size][/font][size 2][/size][font "Arial"][size 2]

I never have any luck landing carp in the creek, I always horse them, and they break the line. So this one I played out. I let it run up stream. In the meantime, I picked up my net and decided it was time to bring him in. I was having a blast! This is coming from someone who catches 12 - 14 inch trout and 17 inch Largemouth bass at the largest. He was relaxing and sliding up to shore nicely. I got him pretty close and reached out to net him and he saw me..... whammo, he was gone on a wild run again! Nice sized fish too, might I add.[/size][/font][font "Times New Roman"][size 2] [/size][size 3]It went about 2 ft, plus.[/size][/font][font "Arial"][size 2]

I decided...do NOT ask me WHY, but I decided that I needed my vest on so I could attach my net to it. SO I let him run again, and I put on my vest. This was my mistake, letting him run. This time he ran downstream, into where the creek narrows and the current gets strong. I held him out as long as I could and thought, well, I will follow him down there and maybe get him there. [/size][/font][size 2][/size][font "Arial"][size 2]

Just inside the narrow part of the creek, a tree was leaned into the water and this carp went straight for that. I could see my line tangled up in the branches and became sick to think I might have blown it. I reeled line in as I inched in towards the tree. The raging water was loud and it was all that I could do to stand. The water came up above my thighs and was strong. I tried and tried to untangle my line, but couldn't. I was starting to get tired and thinking to myself...what have I done!! After almost losing my balance and floating downstream a few times, I edged my way to the opposite edge of the creek, out of MOST of the current. There was a steep embankment here, and I couldn't climb out. I had only one choice... go back from where I came. [/size][/font][size 2][/size][font "Arial"][size 2]

My legs were so weak and tired already. I did finally untangle my line, to find only a bobber at the end. I went to move away from the tree and my net caught on a branch, pulling me back. I unhooked it and threw it to the shore I needed to get to, I also threw my fishing rod. I had to cross about 20 feet of raging, Angry water now in my neoprene waders, fishing hat, sunglasses and vest. I thought that maybe I could run. HA HA HA! Have you ever tried to run in water? How about fast water? Nope, it won't happen. A few steps in, and I went down. I was picturing me floating down the creek and in front if the campsite. My husband would have ended my fishing adventures right then and there if he saw that.... so I started to roll. I managed to roll to the other side... mind you, laughing as I went. I got out of the creek still wearing my hat and glasses. I just kept laughing and was so glad that no one saw me. Ok, no one but that darn carp![/size][/font][size 2][/size]
[signature]
LMAO thanks for the story susan to bad you didn't get that bad boy for the BFT species contest i know alot of people who say carp aren't sportfish they just need to break out some 4# line and tie into one like the one you lost to have some fun and change there mind
[signature]
[size 3]Chris...BFT was what was runnign through my mind as I was fighting this big carp! I was sick that I lost it...but I am headed back today to camp.[/size]

[size 3]The creeks are very high though, and might not get to fish for them...and I DEFINATELY won't be wading in after one! HAHAHA![/size]
[signature]
FisherMOM, you are everywhere I go these days. Loved you story. Have fun.
[signature]
Are you saying I get around? Smile

I love fishing, what can I say...

I can't talk enough about it.
[signature]
I just wish there was a picture of you hitting the water or a recording of the carp laughing. [sly]

You must be on the computer almost as much as I am.

I just made a new message for my talking guy. I have one on my family forum as well as on the Find the Fish site.... It is my aunt's birthday and I have the talking guy singing happy birthday to her (the talking guy on my family's forum, but NOT the FTF talk forum). I sure am enjoying those talking guys. If it would talk long enough I would have it tell your carp story.....

Have fun
[signature]
Mike..that talking guy is too funny! OH MY GOSH...My family would love one I bet. We have a family website on MYFAMILY.com. I dont know if you could put one of those there or not.

yes..I am on the computer TOO MUCH! At least you own a website and create websites for people...I am just a surfer! Surfin' the fishing forums, soaking up every little bit of information that I can!!!

i'll have to go check out the new speech on FINDTHEFISH.com!

hahaha...and I could see him telling the story...

"to be continued next week...

same carp time

same carp channel! "

LOL!
[signature]
By the way Mike..you can put this on FINDTHEFISH under FisherMOM.

Smile thanks!
[signature]
Thanks, Susan. I will add it to the site.

If you want to hear the new talking guy, I will send you the URL by email. It is on my family forum and I don't want to have the whole Internet going there to laugh at me.

Have fun.
[signature]
If you want to email it to me that's fine! I'll listen and not share.

I can hear the guy on the front page of FINDTHEFISH... but he must be mad at me in the forums. He won't talk to me there.

I am going to dump my cookies and see if that helps. He hasn't talked to me for a while in there...Seems I did something so he wouldn't talk to me every single time I was there... but I can't remember what.

Going to toss cookies now... ewwwww
[signature]
Toss your cookies in my talk forum? Oh, my. It has been so quiet there, no one will probably notice.

I sent an email with the URL to the other forum.

If family.com allows you to insert a java script, you could put a talking guy there. If you need help, let me know.

Have fun.
[signature]
Wow, that is a great story Susan! By the way, what kind of fishing do you do if all you are wearing are "now in my neoprene waders, fishing hat, sunglasses and vest."[Wink]
[signature]
I was thinking the same thing but didn't want to be the first to say it![shocked][blush]

FM
[signature]
[size 3]hahah.... They are CHEST waders! Smile And I had a shirt on too![/size]

[size 3]I did loose my leatherman like tool from my vest though. [/size]

[size 3] I had my zipper pocket unzipped. That's a bummer~[/size]

[size 3][/size]

[size 3]I gotta figure out how to catch this carp.[/size]

[size 3]I hooked up agan this weejkend with him or other like him [/size]

[size 3]and they all broke my line. I had 12 pound test.[/size]

[size 3]Next weekend it will be the Power Pro and my baitcaster![/size]

[size 3]I gotta get this fish~~~~~[/size]
[signature]
sounds like its getting personal seeing how this fish keeps KICKING YOUR BUTT.....LAMO....LAMO
[signature]
[size 3]Chris..... it IS getting personal. (and fun too!!!!)[/size]

[size 3]It may be ONLY A CARP to some.... [/size]

[size 3]but it's making my quiet fishing times,[/size]

[size 3] not so quiet! [crazy] [pirate] [cool][/size]
[signature]
beleive me i know about personal when i used to fish tuna it would take so long to get one in they would make you hurt in the arms, legs, and back it got to the point sometimes you stated thinking i'm going to kill this son - of - a - (*^%%$
[signature]
Hey Chris...I caught a local carp today! Practice for the one at camp.

I entered it in the 16 species contest! CHECK IT OUT!! ahhhhh... kinda feels like relief!
[signature]
Great, now post a picture of it here so we can congradulate you! You MUST post a picture of the carp that keeps kicking you too!
[signature]
OK Daniel.... here are two pictures of the one that I caught yesterday.

[Image: 020980.jpg]

[Image: 020984.jpg]
[signature]