Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
frenetic site activity
"frenetic: frenzied, frantic" For those of you who didn't get past the 6th grade I thought I'd include a dictionary definition of the word.

This site sure is busy. Hello! (echo) Anybody home? (echo)

I guess I won't find many hot tips here today.

(Walks away muttering to self)
well I can tell you what my sister is saying about what is happening down that way,

she says large and small mouth bass fish is steady.

The pattern she is using is white spinner baits and some on top water baits early in the morning poppers by the pads.

The majority of the bass are caught near structures in water from seven to fifteen feet deep and seems to be the only places that are steady on holding bass all day. also what is working in these areas are slow moving crank baits,

Try a variety of plastics useing a Carolina rigged lizard and worms to work the heavier stumps on the bottom.

Crappie fishing has bee good early evenings around mid lake docks with brush. Live bait is still number one and the depths are 9 to 13 feet on straight lines.

hope this helps.

where are you fishing these days?
[signature]
I forgot to bid you a werm welcome to bigfishtackle... Hope you will find this to be a happening place. dont forget to envite a frend to join in from your state... we dont hear much from this great fishing state. I know Georgia has a lot to offer an angler who wants to tie in to a big fish from black bass to stripers to cats and so-on...

let us know how you do.... (dont give away your hot spots!) genneral reports are teriffic...[Wink]
[signature]
Hello Dave,
Thanks for the reply and the warm welcome. I take it from your other message that your sister lives in Georgia. I've no doubt that what she says about the fishing wherever she's fishing is true.
For the time being at least, I don't want to identify the reservoir I've been fishing. It is lightly fished, little known, and I'd just as soon keep it that way. I can just imagine what the parking area would look like if I mentioned the name and/or location online!
Fishing has been slow, and putting more boats on the lake is not going to make it better, that's for certain.
My wife and I have gone there about once a week for the past several weeks. I think our number one problem is that we don't have a fishfinder. Not that I expect a fishfinder to do anything more than tell me what's under the surface...such as depth, contour, structure, etc. Without knowing that, all we can fish is the obvious places, such as shoreline, standing trees, one grass bed area, etc. Those areas have produced a few small bass and one 6 1/2 lb bass in the past month or so. I think the 6.5 lb. bass was just a lucky cast, as that area hasn't produced a strike since then.
Last week we fished hard for about 5 hours and each caught 2 bass. We catch and release, but I doubt we would have kept those four fish even if we were big on eating bass. 2 of them might have been keepers, the other two weren't. We caught them on a variety of offerings, as the tough fishing had us trying everything we could think of.
One was caught on a watermelon colored worm texas rigged in maybe 10 feet of water. Another was caught on a 6" old style red plastic worm with a split shot about a foot above it on my line (a desperate ploy) in the same area at probably a similar depth. Another fish was caught on a chartreuse grub texas rigged, and the other on a spinnerbait. No obvious pattern to what we caught and how or where.

We haven't been back since, though it was only a week ago. I'm going to try a couple more times. If we don't do any better, and no one else is doing any better, I'm going to find another place to fish or fish for a different species of fish.

That's my story, anyway.
An addition to the above lengthy blab: What irritates me is that I bought the aluminum boat we're using specifically to fish that lake. Had I known the fishing was going to be so slow, I might have waited until I could have bought something with an outboard on it so I could go to some of the larger lakes in this area. A 14' aluminum boat with an electric trolling motor is not going to take us very far on a larger lake.
guess what, your are in luck. brigs and stratin has came up with a 5 horse 4 stroke enguine motor for around $800. it is just a matter of time before every state is going to ban all 2 stroke motors... they already have in some states.

I use a 12 foot aluminum boat and I manage to get on some rather large lakes. I know of a good dozen guys who use 14 foot aluminum boats on lake st clair michigan.

the time of day can have a lot to do with your sucsess. stick to eather the first and last 3 hours of day light or overcast days for best results.. dont use this rule for catfish...[Tongue]
[signature]
Dave,

Send me a check for $800.00 and I'll pick up one of those Briggs and Stratton motors right away! Otherwise, that's out of my reach at the moment.

I think you can get them on Ebay for about 200 dollars less than that.

Went back to the unnamed lake today (Wednesday). We were the only ones there when we arrived. There was only one other boat launched all day, and that one was on the lake about 2:30 this afternoon.

It was an overcast day with a light wind. Conditions were perfect as usual. On the way to our usual start spot, I trolled a rapala minnow just for something to do. I caught the only bass of the day on that minnow, a small but determined little guy. We fished for another 5 hours without a strike. As usual, in every possible area...trees, grass, points, deep, shallow, using lizards, worms, grubs, spinnerbaits, crankbaits, jerkbaits and a nice topwater frog imitation. Nothing.

I'm slow sometimes, but sooner or later it comes to me if I think long and hard. 335 acres of water, 15 miles of shoreline, perfect conditions, and one boat on the water until 2:30 in the afternoon? Then only one other boat?

How can that be? Why, it can be because everyone else knows there aren't any fish to catch in that lake and have stopped bothering to waste their time there.

If we go back, it will be one more time to try for shellcrackers or bluegill. If we don't catch any, that will be our last trip to that lake.

We need to get a couple of ultralight outfits for that. Maybe next week or the week after, we'll see.
I hear ya on that briggs, out of my reach too, I have been drewling over it for about a year now.

last week I finaly saw one on the lake, It sure looked nice and boy was it quite... I started drewling uncontrolably...

if you want them fry, stick to a number #8 hook with just enough red worm to cover the hook. all thy want is just a mouth full... same with the big fish all they want is just a mouth full even if a mouth full is the size of your fist....[Wink]

good luck..

I am hoping to get back out on the water again this week. I have been dry for almost two weeks now....
[signature]
Picked up a couple of inexpensive ultralight outfits at WalMart, along with some tackle to go with them. No point in spending big bucks for an experiment.
Probably won't get back to the lake until Friday or so. We'll see what happens. Thanks for the tip on the worms, I got the hooks, and will pick the bait up on the way there. Also got some beetle spins, and the typical small jigs, a couple of rooster tails, etc., so we can have a variety of things to try. Of course the real problem will likely be finding the fish.
We'll see how it goes.