Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Strawberry 6/12/04
Well, newbie and I made it to Strawberry on Free Fishing Day. On my first cast I had over 100 fish, so it wasn't necessary to use the casting net again to get more minnows for bait. I can't imagine how many I would have gotten had I made a better throw --- the one I made wasn't one of my bettter efforts. First tried still fishing with minnows. Caught a couple nice cuts, and missed another one. Decided to go trolling. Minnows again were the hot ticket behind a small dodger. Missed four or five fish for every one that we caught. Should have used a stinger hook, but it would have been difficult, but not impossible with the small minnows. Also caught fish on Rapalas and Flat Fish. Newbie reeled in most of the fish and had a great day -- can't ask for much more.
[signature]
Kent what area did you fish? Did you catch any big ones?
[signature]
Hey Kent , I couldn't believe how many minnows were around the marina . Thanks for the report .
[signature]
The place that was holding the most fish, by far, was east of Haws Point. We also tried drift trolling from Haws Point all the way across the reservoir and had bites all the way across. The largest fish we caught was 19". All fish caught were cuts.

Yes, there were huge schools of shiners/chubs in the Strawberry Marina right up next to the bank. The only problem was they were on the small side, and it was a pain getting so many of them out of the net, after they had gotten their heads through it. It would have been easy to have netted over 1,000 of them. Let's see at $2.98 a dozen -- what a saving.
[signature]