Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Little walleye help?
Hi guys, I am from Pa and my friend and I have had a real good spring on walleyes this year. I was wondering what tactics you guys use once the post spawn malay is over. Any advice will do. thank you in advance. Lakelurker
[signature]
this last month iv been using just a jig twistertail and a minnow that works real good and i also been using shallow crankbaits. im not really a walleye master but i do like fishing for them. i live pretty close to a river and fish it pretty much. so if u have any more questions just ask.
[signature]
The main problem I am having is getting the walleyes to hit a bait. The weather is starting to warm up and the main food of the walleyes right now is golden shiner and alewives. They will follow a crakbait but just will not take it. They are starting to get kinda lazy. I can still itiate a strike but only after 100 casts or so. What do you think about lindy rigs tipped with minnows or nightcrawlers,leeches etc... The fish seem to come into shallow water around 12:00 midnight and stay there all night. But only feed actively for about a half an hour a night.
[signature]
i would say go for a lindy rig with a minnow, thats how i catch a lot of walleye in the missouri in the summer months, i dont use nightcrawlers or leaches that much for walleye but i have caught a few with them on a lindy. also if u find any cover they will usually hit a yellow headed jig with a powerbait 2 or 3" twister tail and tipped with a minnow. That is weird that they only follow the crankbait.
[signature]
We have added trailers such as the tails of twister tails and small pieces of worms and have increased our catch rate a bit but I think the suttle aproach with the lindy's might work.
[signature]
Another good option is a bottom bouncer with a chartruese spinner tipped with either a minnow or a crawler. I've had a lot of success with this in the past. Best of luck[cool]
[signature]
Used a chartreuse foam head jig with a nightcrawler trailer and had good results!! Thanks for the tips.
[signature]
glad we could help you lakelurker.Did you get any pictures of those walleyes?
have you ever had any problems with your floating jigs?
Usually when mine dont seem to float very well i puts foam in them. It works wonders.
[signature]
Yes I did get a pic of my biggest of the year so far 27". The foam jigs I used were new. I'm not sure who makes them but they have a second stinger hook trailing behind by about 2 inches and they seem to work well with worms or leeches.I will post a pic as soon as I get it developed. Thanks again for the help.[Smile]
[signature]
Glad to see you caught some fish. Congrats on the 27"!![cool]
[signature]