Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
How to repair starting rope
I had my starter rope break on my 6 horse Evinrude on Thursday. It looks like a daunting task to put a new one on. Anyone have advice on how to get a new one installed?
[signature]
You aught to go talk to Mark (or one of his guy's) at Croft power I think they sale pull ropes there, if you ask they might tell you how to do it. I could only imagine it is the same as a tiller or lawnmower (I could be wrong), I did one of those once an it was not too technical. Good luck.
Steve
[signature]
I have also done tillers and lawn mowers. An Evinrude is a totally different design.
[signature]
I just did my 6 horse Evinrude a few weeks ago, it's not hard but the first time it takes a little longer to figure out how it works. What year is your 6 horse?
[signature]
[signature]
Mine is a 1974 and from the looks of it they are the same if yours has a spiral spool where the line goes on. All you need to do is figure out which way your motor turns. Then use a big screwdriver to wind the spool the opposite direction. Once the spool is wound insert the rope through the hole in the slot at the top of the spool. Now this is the tricky part, you must secure the rope so it won't pull back through the slot. The first time I tried, I used a knot, which did not work because the knot was too big. The second time I burned the end of the rope, so it was a blob that would not pull through. That worked for a few trips but it too pulled through. This last time I found out that the slot had enough room to rap the rope around the top of the spool twice. When I did it that way, then burned the end of the rope it has worked fine, with no problems. I hope this helps Kent, let me know if you have any other questions or if I did not explain it good enough. WH2
[signature]
Starter rope is repaired thanks Curt!
[signature]
No problem my friend, I'm glad I could help.
[signature]