Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Strawberry report 8-22-04
Tried jigging for my very first time on Strawberry yesterday. Caught 1 19" rainbow, and 4 cuts' in the slot, all over in Mud Creek. The wind kicked up at about 1:30, so it was time to go. I would like to thank MGB and Everet14 for all the tips on getting me started on my new favorite style of fishing. I hope to get better at it. I missed about 20 bites, but hopefully it is something that will come with practice. Dwr had a check station with about 30 officers set up by the visitor center. I was surprised to find out not one deer had been brought out all day.
[signature]
Good to here you hooked up on some fish . I was impressed with the road blockade . I bet they had the whole northern DWR crew out at Stawberry checking people sunday .
Jigging is hit and miss for me a lot . But I think that is the way it is now . In the fall they will be closer to shore and surface and you can work it closer to the surface with success . Early in the morning can be good on the surface now too .
Nice bow . I have hooked 3 in the 17" range this year . Just curious what jig or color worked ? My bows have all been caught on small chartreuse jigs or spoons .
[signature]
Glad to here you got into some fish. We where at strawberry Sunday also over by the ladders. We started at 6 in the morning then the wind picked up at 1:30 so we decided to play it safe and get off the water. We where probably getting off the water at the same time. Jigging can be a little challenging some times, you have to be quick with the hook set.
[signature]
hey Hellsangler, I used four different colors to catch the 5 fish. 2 on a glow in the dark color, one on a white with black glitter, one olive colored, and one pumpkin colored. I was just experimenting to see what worked.
[signature]
Just FYI

I and my son fished the berry for about 3 hours Saturday morning and were able to boat approx 30 fish (all but 2 in the slot and all cuts...) as you know there was a hint of fall in the air and the cuts were very active on top. we used the downriggers just so we could work light poles but only droped to 7'. my boy even landed a 19" cut by just dragging his rapala behind the boat right on top of the water. lots of fun but it would be nice to have a limit to put on the barbi...
[signature]
[reply]
"lots of fun but it would be nice to have a limit to put on the barbi..." Curious what you meant by this statement, and what lures were you trolling? [/reply]
[signature]
Last Thursday the man I was fishing with got a strike on a Rapala, that was still on the surface, while he was letting out his line. Unfortunately, he forgot that his line was still free spooling and he jerked. Made an enormous birds nest. He tried for about 45 minutes to get the line untanged on the levelwind reel, and finally just pulled his line in by hand and cut off the birds nest (unfortunately it was my reel). To make matters worse his leader snapped at the boat and he lost the fish and his favorite Rapala. In the fall I have learned, at Strawberry, that often one will catch more fish long lining, close to the surface, than with a downrigger.
[signature]
I meant that it would be nice to catch a few fish to take home and cook.. you know barbeque "on the barbi.."

anyway we were using a personal rig of homemade wedding rings w/worm, also a few rapala minnows... lots of fun, lots of fish but all slotted for immediate release.
[signature]
Thanks. Has anyone ever figured out why wedding rings come pretied with such small hooks? I replace the hooks with a much larger rebarb hook.
[signature]