Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Rampage 3/4 day goes the distance six pac
We met the boat at the Newport fuel dock because Dana Wharf's prices are to high and their bait sucks.. The boat is a 42' Hatteras Very Nice and fast.. Cruises at 22kts.. check out the boat [url "http://www.rampagefishing.com/"][#990099]www.rampagefishing.com[/#990099][/url]

The Group I had on the boat was: Zomees, his buddy Corey, Mark, SteveO aka Soats, my rookie buddy Brendan..

Originally our plan was to leave the night before and go fish the Tuna but the weather reports didn't look good.. I was waiting to hear from Rick from the Seahawk to see how he did but I never heard.. So we decided just to make it a 3/4 trip and leave around
6:30am..

Our goal was to get hit paddy's out by the 181 and work our way to the 43... Got a call about 7am from Rick from the Seahawk just returning from a 1.5 trip.. He told me he had very good fishing in US Waters.. I asked isn't bumpy out there? He said yea but it came down a lot on the way home.. I asked would you make the run out there? He said go for it I would.. I wanted Albies bad.. We were all fired up to go kill some Albies but we knew that we had late start if we went the distance.. We didn't care so we kept working our way West.. Weather was flat calm and little overcast.. We hit some nice size paddy's for nothing but small bait size bone heads.. I told Capt. Larry keep heading West as long as it looks like good weather.. The weather looked really good so the Capt. said we will go the distance.. I told him only hit paddy's that are huge.. We hit some nice ones but still nothing.. The further west we got the weather got better flat calm and sunny..We got about 18 miles from where Rick gave me #'s and finally a kelp thats holding.. This one had lots of Dodo's and Yellows on it.. Zomees hooked a Dodo right off the bat.. The whole stern was bit.. Zomees broke his brand new Moon wrapped GUSA 80 mag on a Dodo.. I couldn't believe that, stick with old heavy glass rods is my modo.. I was on the bow throwing Iron for nothing.. I got followed and bumped by Dodo's on my red jig but no fish.. TB, I had to go to bait can you believe that?.. My first bait DODO yes my first one of the year.. Poor Zomees lost 3 fish 2 of them at gaff.. Don't know if it was his fault or not.. We got 3 Dodo's and 5 to 7 yellows on this stop.. There was still plenty of fish on this paddy but they stopped biting.. I told the Capt. to mark this paddy and we will come back to it on the way home.. We found another paddy put on a few more Yellows..

Finally, we got to the Albie zone.. Started seeing lots of life and few SD boats.. I saw a big school of Porpoise so we started trolling threw them.. I was driving at this time because Capt. Phoenix was down getting something to eat.. All of sudden in the School of Porpoise straight foamers of Yellowfin.. We pulled in the jigs and fished them but they were eating the small little Sauries.. No biters for us but Mark hooked a skippy.. Kept working our way west.. Finally a triple but they were small Yellowfin but we will take them.. No bait fish this stop.. When we got bit there was a small paddy next to us so we fished it.. It was WFO on the bigger Yellowtail.. The fish were up to 25lbs.. All of us were on fish then all of sudden.. Straight foamers of Yellowfin but none of us could fish them because we were all hooked up.. Hundreds of Tuna jumping out of the water right towards us.. We were surrounded but then soon as we got our fish in they were gone.. My second fish I hooked was a Dorado couldn't believe it.. The water temp was 67 and it was solid Tuna and Yellows around us.. This fish must have got lost.. Fished the paddy until it stopped biting.. Put the jigs back in but by this time it was getting dark.. Went through some awesome Tuna water but no strikes.. About 1/2 hour left of sunlight so we picked up the jigs and sped towards our old paddy's.. Well, we never found them again and called it a day..

Total round trip 200 miles plus

Total count: 18 yellows up to 25lbs.. 4 Dodo's up to 18lbs.. 3 Yellowfin up to 12lbs and one lonely skippy

Thanks to Capt/owner Larry Phoenix and his deckie Aaron for great trip..
CK
[signature]